Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which airline would you choose and why?

Wikiposts

Which airline would you choose and why?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which airline would you choose and why?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We've flown on quite a few airlines, domestic and trans hops. If I were going to recommend a good carrier for international it would be Virgin. BMI were very good, but their domestic carrier is United - Big Time Crap and I wouldn't fly them again if they paid me twice. Continental is pretty bad, US Airways and the worst is Southwest, if you want good customer service, don't fly with them. The best domestic carrier I've found so far is Alaska Airlines. I think its well worth trying them, their prices are very good.
Hi Lisa,

I wish Virgin was an option as I have heard such good things about them, and they are having a sale at the moment. I wonder if they have a US partner airline? If so, then I could fly with them on the transatlantic part, and then the partner airline to Memphis without having to collect baggage and re-check. I did this once through Newark. I flew from Memphis one way on ((( :scared: Airtran, the former :scared: Valuejet))), and then a major carrier from Newark to London. The major carrier (I cannot remember which one it was for the life of me) and Airtran had a baggage agreement so that I did not have to deal with them again until I reached London, which was nice. It saved me around $150.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For those interested in the free booze....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272703

Guess free booze is out for the trip

Thanks Pollyana.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

For comments on many airlines, check this site
http://www.airlinequality.com/

What needs to be remembered is that one bad flight doesn't mean that the airline is bad, you can just be unlucky and have a grumpy crew (same rule applies in reverse, you can get a good crew on one flight and then find all other flights with this great airline are crap).

I fly a lot on business and can say that in general European airlines have the best service across the atlantic. But, in my experience there is one exception to this and that is Virgin Atlantic, it's like wandering into the land of the lost bimbos, much prefer to fly with a crew of motherly types where at least you can get a drink rather than be surrounded by a group of airheads who just chat to each other all the way and ignore the passengers (and yes, I have flown with them more than once).

Personal experience with Continental was really bad, but others rave about them.

United have good economy seating - especially if you can get into premium economy (they don't charge extra like other airlines) and BA has the best Business and First class service.

Haven't flown Northwest for years but colleagues do regularly and have yet to hear anything good about them.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 1:56 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I actually found Virgin to be the best airline I've ever flown with, in terms of food quality, entertainment and service they have been excellent when I've flown with them, but as you say it really depends on your own subjective experience. I wish all airlines had the tellys in the back of the seats, it makes it so much easier to relax, to just plug in and switch your brain off. Those TV's in the top of the plane where you have to crane your neck to watch them are okay but after a while they're uncomfy to watch. Food wise I've found BA to be good but in-flight entertainment to be lacking. US Airways in flight entertainment was great but food was crap. I guess it depends what you're after. My worst ever food experience was with American airlines, food just so disgusting I didn't touch it and thats saying something for a pig like me! Delta was pretty bad too the plane I got on was really dirty and there were food bits all over the seats and floor yuk!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:18 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think United are still in chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

us airways went in, came out and then back into it again, whereas United went in and haven't been out.

the difference is that United are perceived to be in a better overall position and to have a lesser risk of actually being liquidated

they have better positioned hubs, a low cost division and have managed to get bigger wage and pension concessions from their staff
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:15 am
Just Joined

VFRpilot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ikke
For comments on many airlines, check this site
http://www.airlinequality.com/

What needs to be remembered is that one bad flight doesn't mean that the airline is bad, you can just be unlucky and have a grumpy crew (same rule applies in reverse, you can get a good crew on one flight and then find all other flights with this great airline are crap).

I fly a lot on business and can say that in general European airlines have the best service across the atlantic. But, in my experience there is one exception to this and that is Virgin Atlantic, it's like wandering into the land of the lost bimbos, much prefer to fly with a crew of motherly types where at least you can get a drink rather than be surrounded by a group of airheads who just chat to each other all the way and ignore the passengers (and yes, I have flown with them more than once).

Personal experience with Continental was really bad, but others rave about them.

United have good economy seating - especially if you can get into premium economy (they don't charge extra like other airlines) and BA has the best Business and First class service.

Haven't flown Northwest for years but colleagues do regularly and have yet to hear anything good about them.
I travel to Europe quite a bit (not London) and whenever it makes sense, I always choose to travel with Virgin and route through London. The whole experience (at least in upper class) is far better than any of the others I have travelled with. Not sure if I would have the same view, if I was paying myself and travelling cattle class. On the domestic front, we have used the Delta no frills airline SONG (up and down the east coast) and found them to be far better than the parent. Coast to coast I prefer American.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
To be honest I think United are still in chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

us airways went in, came out and then back into it again, whereas United went in and haven't been out.

the difference is that United are perceived to be in a better overall position and to have a lesser risk of actually being liquidated

they have better positioned hubs, a low cost division and have managed to get bigger wage and pension concessions from their staff
United have been in and out of Chapter 11 for years, but they seem to survive.

Worst experience with them was flying out of Memphis to Portland OR via Denver. First flight was delayed and the check in guy in Memphis was, to put it mildly, incompetent. Then to make things worse two United planes came to adjoining gates and the girl working there didn't know where the planes were heading to - so she went out to ask the pilots where they were going!. Eventually got on the Denver flight. On arrival I found I had not been put on the next flight out but a much later one but my only choice was either to wait or go earlier and then wait for my luggage at the other end. Once on board the flight to Portland - around 7pm departure, in first class - I was informed there was no dinner service, just drinks and pretzels - it was 'too late' for dinner!!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown Northwest/KLM, BMI and United on transatlantic routes and the best one in my opinion was the BMI flights although United was pretty good too.

My hubby, daughter and I just got back from orlando on the 20th we flew US Airways I will NEVER fly them again... what a nightmare... they must be in a very bad financial way as they are on a pay-as-you with the fuel companies. We flew via Phili (their new hub) on our way to Orlando we had an hour delay waiting in a long line of planes waiting to take off... coming back we had a 3 hour delay because when we arrived there was a plane at our gate waiting to be fuelled (it was still there when our plane was due to take off) when our plane got into the gate it had to wait to be fuelled too. while we were waiting we over heard the US airways staff talking about who was coming to sign for payment of the fuel there was at least 12 flights delayed because of the fuelling problem that I know of and there were probably a lot more... one guy had been waiting 9 hours for his flight. While we are waiting to board we where watching the staff on load and off load luggage I thought because of the delay people had decided to switch flights... if only... we arrive at grand rapids to find that they had off loaded 4 of our 5 pieces of checked luggage as well as about 20 other peoples luggage... claiming it was a 'weight and balance' problem (bullshit) anyhow they told us we would get them that night they would come in on the 9.30 flight we finally got them the following evening. did I mention I will NEVER fly that excuse for an airline again?

Ash
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again...

I have flown through both Minneapolis and Detroit with NWA, en route to Memphis and both were fine... I would probably go with Detroit given the choice.. you should try and shop around and see if you cant get the direct flight from Amsterdamn, its a hop and a skip over there on KLM and then its non stop all the way...

Try www.majortravel.co.uk
www.lastminute.com
www.klm.com
www.travelplanners.co.uk

(I used to always find Major to be the cheapest)
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see BA mentioned much. Any good reasons?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Continental and KLM

BA, waited three hours, thanks to their delay on boxing day waiting for family to arrive at SFO airport. What poor service!

Originally Posted by lifeisgreat
Hi,

I will be flying to Memphis in a few weeks and have a few airlines to choose from. They all have similar fares, so am trying to decide which would be best. My choices are:

Continental

Delta

Northwest (this one has the cheapest fare)

US Airways (have flown before and liked the entertainment selection with private TV monitor on the back of the seat)

American

United

Any thoughts or experiences on the above would be appreciated.

TiA.

Lifeisgreat
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:29 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
We always fly BA from Detroit to Heathrow, and have never had any complaints. We did have a 3 hour delay when we flew in November, but the staff couldn't have been more helpful. It helped that as others have said, the new McNamara terminal at Detroit is the dogs b*llocks.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:07 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever flown with BMI or American ....

For the Transatlantic stuff I would agree with alot of people here and vouch for BMI ...... Good food, good service and free drinks.
American Airlines are OK on the longer flights but the food does suck big time ( they always say "Our award winning menu " ..... but they never mention which award. )
I'm limited to 2 carriers for the internal flight from Chicago to Peoria and I always choose American .. its always late and its always over booked but it gets me there.

Side point .... I have used Amtrack a time or 2 just to be economical and to have a chance to unwind after getting thru O'Hare .... very good it was too and cheap by UK standards ..
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Jet Blue are starting up a new transatlantic company. I think it's going to be called Max Jet though they're still deciding on the name. They'll be using 767's and should be every bit as good and competitive as the regular Jet Blue.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
because it wasn't on the original list............

It's a sad state of aviation affairs though when Northwest who traditionally have the worst reputation of the legacy carrier are getting quite a few thumbs up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.