Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which airline would you choose and why?

Wikiposts

Which airline would you choose and why?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airline would you choose and why?

I prefer American but they can be expensive, My kids usually fly on British Airways, we havent had any problems and they do a really good unaccompanied minors programme. The one and only time we used BMI they 'lost' our baggage, it took 3 days to get it back by which time they had taken a couple pairs of new jeans, sweets for the kids, cologne from husbands wash bag and a couple of thousand dollars worth of CD roms which we had been told couldnt travel in carry on because they were a 'threat' to be fair this was 2 weeks after 9/11
Wouldnt touch NWA, we flew with them when we moved over here because they had the best luggage allowance and were cheap, the staff onboard have to be the rudest bunch I have ever come across, they kept a select few "bevvied" up and refused us an extra bottle of water ... GrrrrrrrR

Havent used any of the other carriers because they dont offer a service to our local airports.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:18 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
Continental
... Northwest (this one has the cheapest fare)
nice new Airbus planes and nice shiny new terminal in Detroit ...
Yeah, I visited a company in Ann Arbor a while back and flew back to DC from the new terminal ... it is fab-a-roo ... the trains run to one side above your head. My peripheral vision is pretty good and when one of those trains whisked by I was blown over ... I thought one had somehow got into the terminal ... I then spent time on the train - just to get a better perspective of the new terminal (I say "new", it is probably a couple of years or so old now). But it's a fantastic terminal, the Japanese water exhibit is fab-a-roo ... the terminal might become the object of flights into Detroit ... it is that cool, imho ... the new terminal sure rocks.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=candy wy.][QUOTE=Big D]BMI are fantastic - would recommend them to anyone - used alot in the UK and transatlantic!

Not that they were on the list! United are fine in the US no complaints. Used American recently and impressed so far.

i only mentioned bmi as usually if you fly united it is bmi who do the transatlantic part of the flight.
I meant that I was talking about them not that you were and they weren't on the list! I just rave about them to anyone who listens!!! I know they code share some United routes as united always do the internal US bits!!

Free booze is important - someone mentioned to me that not all provide it now? BA/BMI/United/KLM/Lufthansa certainly do - its a while since I've used anyone else but I've never been transatlantic and paid for booze! And hopefully I never will!!!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifeisgreat
Hi,

I will be flying to Memphis in a few weeks and have a few airlines to choose from. They all have similar fares, so am trying to decide which would be best.
Hi! I live in Memphis now, and on previous trips always flew here with KLM/Northwest, with the exception of one time I did Continental.via Newark. I would choose Northwest any time. Would you be doing the direct flight into Memphis via Amsterdam? If so, I usually found them to be really great....except when pets were involved and even that worked out OK in the end!!

This time I'm flying home with Continental and not looking forward to it after past experiences with them, but NWA were out of the price range this time around.

Good luck whatever you choose and if you need a tour guide or any help getting around let me know!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We've flown on quite a few airlines, domestic and trans hops. If I were going to recommend a good carrier for international it would be Virgin. BMI were very good, but their domestic carrier is United - Big Time Crap and I wouldn't fly them again if they paid me twice. Continental is pretty bad, US Airways and the worst is Southwest, if you want good customer service, don't fly with them. The best domestic carrier I've found so far is Alaska Airlines. I think its well worth trying them, their prices are very good.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I usually fly united

AA and US Scareways charge for booze

I resent the fact that after paying $700 for a flight they charge me for a scotch and coke

us ariways have the best entertainment though by a long shot

downside of united is that the hub i usually fly out of is O'Hare

delays and weather issues are the name of the game
Very good point and good to know BritGuy.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I prefer American but they can be expensive, My kids usually fly on British Airways, we havent had any problems and they do a really good unaccompanied minors programme. The one and only time we used BMI they 'lost' our baggage, it took 3 days to get it back by which time they had taken a couple pairs of new jeans, sweets for the kids, cologne from husbands wash bag and a couple of thousand dollars worth of CD roms which we had been told couldnt travel in carry on because they were a 'threat' to be fair this was 2 weeks after 9/11
Wouldnt touch NWA, we flew with them when we moved over here because they had the best luggage allowance and were cheap, the staff onboard have to be the rudest bunch I have ever come across, they kept a select few "bevvied" up and refused us an extra bottle of water ... GrrrrrrrR

Havent used any of the other carriers because they dont offer a service to our local airports.
Hi Jan,

Yes, I have heard good and bad about Northwest. I haven't flown American in ages--although when I did, I do remember it being good.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big D
I meant that I was talking about them not that you were and they weren't on the list! I just rave about them to anyone who listens!!! I know they code share some United routes as united always do the internal US bits!!

Free booze is important - someone mentioned to me that not all provide it now? BA/BMI/United/KLM/Lufthansa certainly do - its a while since I've used anyone else but I've never been transatlantic and paid for booze! And hopefully I never will!!!
Hi Big D,

I flew BMI once from Heathrow to Glasgow and thought they were terrific. Unfortunately, I am not flying out of Manchester, and it's United that would take me first to either Chicago or Washington, and then on to Memphis.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested in the free booze....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272703
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
Continental
ok

Delta
nearly bankrupt

Northwest (this one has the cheapest fare)
nice new Airbus planes and nice shiny new terminal in Detroit

US Airways (have flown before and liked the entertainment selection with private TV monitor on the back of the seat)
might not be around when it's time to fly. nearly in chapter 7 liquidation

American
stable

United
been in chapter 11 recently but came out ok(ish)

Any thoughts or experiences on the above would be appreciated.

I'd got for either Northwest , Continental or AA.
Thanks Manc. I did not know about the bankruptcies. From the replies I have read so far, I will not be flying US Airways or Delta. United is still a possibility (Free booze might sell it).
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Yeah, I visited a company in Ann Arbor a while back and flew back to DC from the new terminal ... it is fab-a-roo ... the trains run to one side above your head. My peripheral vision is pretty good and when one of those trains whisked by I was blown over ... I thought one had somehow got into the terminal ... I then spent time on the train - just to get a better perspective of the new terminal (I say "new", it is probably a couple of years or so old now). But it's a fantastic terminal, the Japanese water exhibit is fab-a-roo ... the terminal might become the object of flights into Detroit ... it is that cool, imho ... the new terminal sure rocks.
Good to know if you know that you are going to have a long layover. It makes it easier if you know that you have something interesting to see and do.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Personally I always choose American because I'm a Gold member (ooh that sounds rude! LOL) and I get upgraded a lot. I find them very reliable and a good standard of service and food. Continental sucks. I flew with then twice....never again. It was cramped, the staff were miserable and unhelpful and the planes looked old. Been on United once and it was ok, but I still say American is the best. Nothing could be worse than Ryanair!
Hi Rockgurl,

Thanks for this. I think I will cross of Continental as well.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=candy wy.][QUOTE=Big D]BMI are fantastic - would recommend them to anyone - used alot in the UK and transatlantic!

Not that they were on the list! United are fine in the US no complaints. Used American recently and impressed so far.

i only mentioned bmi as usually if you fly united it is bmi who do the transatlantic part of the flight.
In this case, it is United that is doing both legs of the flight. I either have a choice of Heathrow to Chicago, or Heathrow to Washington.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Candy,

It is United that is doing both parts of the flight, but thank you anyway
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Hi! I live in Memphis now, and on previous trips always flew here with KLM/Northwest, with the exception of one time I did Continental.via Newark. I would choose Northwest any time. Would you be doing the direct flight into Memphis via Amsterdam? If so, I usually found them to be really great....except when pets were involved and even that worked out OK in the end!!

This time I'm flying home with Continental and not looking forward to it after past experiences with them, but NWA were out of the price range this time around.

Good luck whatever you choose and if you need a tour guide or any help getting around let me know!
Hi Lesley,

This particular NW flight is through Minneapolis--and I think that there is another one through Detroit.

Thanks so much for the offer of tour guide. I am actually moving back to the area after living in the UK for a couple of years, so know it pretty well already. The question of flights is only coming up now because I am flying into Memphis, and not Atlanta as we usually do. My husband always insisted on flying into Atlanta on BA, so there was never a question. I however, do not love BA so much that I want a 5 hour drive after getting off of the plane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.