Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which airline would you choose and why?

Which airline would you choose and why?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future
Default Which airline would you choose and why?

Hi,

I will be flying to Memphis in a few weeks and have a few airlines to choose from. They all have similar fares, so am trying to decide which would be best. My choices are:

Continental

Delta

Northwest (this one has the cheapest fare)

US Airways (have flown before and liked the entertainment selection with private TV monitor on the back of the seat)

American

United

Any thoughts or experiences on the above would be appreciated.

TiA.

Lifeisgreat
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airline would you choose and why?

Continental
ok

Delta
nearly bankrupt

nice new Airbus planes and nice shiny new terminal in Detroit

US Airways (have flown before and liked the entertainment selection with private TV monitor on the back of the seat)
might not be around when it's time to fly. nearly in chapter 7 liquidation

American
stable

United
been in chapter 11 recently but came out ok(ish)

I'd got for either Northwest , Continental or AA.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:51 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I always choose American because I'm a Gold member (ooh that sounds rude! LOL) and I get upgraded a lot. I find them very reliable and a good standard of service and food. Continental sucks. I flew with then twice....never again. It was cramped, the staff were miserable and unhelpful and the planes looked old. Been on United once and it was ok, but I still say American is the best. Nothing could be worse than Ryanair!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Nothing could be worse than Ryanair!
you pay for what you get, I'm on ryanair.com
Liverpool - Milan £71 return for 2 in March, sweet!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:08 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifeisgreat
Hi,

I will be flying to Memphis in a few weeks and have a few airlines to choose from. They all have similar fares, so am trying to decide which would be best. My choices are:

Continental

Delta

American

United

TiA.

Lifeisgreat
i like bmi. they have the tv monitor in the the seats. with kids games {so keeps the kids happy}
also i have found both united and bmi customer service to be good if you have a problem with flights.
united i have only used them for flights within the usa have never had a problem with them.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:12 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by candy wy.
i like bmi. they have the tv monitor in the the seats. with kids games {so keeps the kids happy}
also i have found both united and bmi customer service to be good if you have a problem with flights.
united i have only used them for flights within the usa have never had a problem with them.
United and BMI are on the star alliance system. both very good I think customer service wise.
Most long haul flights in newer planes now have the IFE in the back of the seat.
(continental 757's and 767, as well as AA 767 O'Hare - Manchester route don't have them)
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

BMI are fantastic - would recommend them to anyone - used alot in the UK and transatlantic!

Not that they were on the list! United are fine in the US no complaints. Used American recently and impressed so far.

I think alot depends on the route particulalrly trans atlantic. For example flew to NY from Manchester a couple of times with BA this year and it is the worst plane I have been on in a long while - complained and ended up with apology and case of wine as the non-London routes are the last to be updated apparently!

Would steer clear of delta and US Airways if had the choice. At the end of the day just go with the best deal - its only a few hours of your life!! Actually can't believe I just said that after some of the crates I've been stuck on - but you are unlikely to lose your money through chapter 11 etc and you have to weigh up the difference in quality vs price, and how much cash you have!!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:57 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Big D]BMI are fantastic - would recommend them to anyone - used alot in the UK and transatlantic!

Not that they were on the list! United are fine in the US no complaints. Used American recently and impressed so far.[QUOTE]

i only mentioned bmi as usually if you fly united it is bmi who do the transatlantic part of the flight.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:00 pm
@matthewb76

i only mentioned bmi as usually if you fly united it is bmi who do the transatlantic part of the flight.
not always true. I've flew United to Heathrow before and am doing it again in March (so long as they don't go bust.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:03 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by Manc
not always true. I've flew United to Heathrow before and am doing it again in March (so long as they don't go bust.
manchester to washington is always bmi. i have never flown via heathrow on an outward journey.

Last edited by candy wy.; Dec 27th 2004 at 7:05 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:06 pm
@matthewb76

manchester to washington is always bmi. i have never flown via heathrow on an outward journey.
well thats BMI.

United also have transatlantic flights.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:13 pm
staying around

well thats BMI.

United also have transatlantic flights.
not saying they don't. but if you fly from manchester to usa direct it is bmi that can do that leg not united. they code share with united. i have always booked direct with united.

Last edited by candy wy.; Dec 27th 2004 at 7:15 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:16 pm
@matthewb76

not saying they don't.
yes you did
pedantic bastard regards.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:17 pm
staying around

yes you did

pedantic bastard regards.
you are arn't you
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I usually fly united

AA and US Scareways charge for booze

I resent the fact that after paying $700 for a flight they charge me for a scotch and coke

us ariways have the best entertainment though by a long shot

downside of united is that the hub i usually fly out of is O'Hare

delays and weather issues are the name of the game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.