Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Airline Ticket Help

Airline Ticket Help

Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Airline Ticket Help

Hello folks - I sent this to one of the resident travel agents on the board but she hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I thought I'd put a thread up:

My sister booked tix to go from EDI (Scotland) to FWA (Fort Wayne, IN) to see me in late September for two weeks. She's flying Delta but got tix thru her local travel agency in Scotland. She wants to make a change to only stay with me for 1 week and then go to ATL for another week.

The travel agent claims that she cannot make a change at all as the tix have already been issued, yet she does not have them in her possession. (Not sure if they'll be a paper ticket or not....).
They claim that she'll need to take up her request with Delta when she's over here (in the U.S.)!! Seems a bit fishy to me. I'm sure the t.a. is refusing to make any changes as they've been paid their commission and to hell with further assistance.

I know that the t.a. can "release" the ticket back to the airline but I can't see them doing that....

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airline Ticket Help

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Hello folks - I sent this to one of the resident travel agents on the board but she hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I thought I'd put a thread up:

My sister booked tix to go from EDI (Scotland) to FWA (Fort Wayne, IN) to see me in late September for two weeks. She's flying Delta but got tix thru her local travel agency in Scotland. She wants to make a change to only stay with me for 1 week and then go to ATL for another week.

The travel agent claims that she cannot make a change at all as the tix have already been issued, yet she does not have them in her possession. (Not sure if they'll be a paper ticket or not....).
They claim that she'll need to take up her request with Delta when she's over here (in the U.S.)!! Seems a bit fishy to me. I'm sure the t.a. is refusing to make any changes as they've been paid their commission and to hell with further assistance.

I know that the t.a. can "release" the ticket back to the airline but I can't see them doing that....

Cheers.
I didn't think travel agents got commision on flights anymore.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy

Cheers.

The moment you purchase airline tickets, they are officially 'issued'. The physical delivery has nothing to do with this.

Why go through an travel agent for airline tickets anyway? Much cheaper and easier to do it online.

Maybe her best bet will be to purchase an internal return ticket FWA - ATL - FWA. Check Sidestep for best deals - though once you have a quote you'll often find if you contact the airline direct they'll match it.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I didn't think travel agents got commision on flights anymore.

Agreed. But they probably charge a fee...
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Once a ticket is issued there is usually a charge to make changes. Check out the Delta Airlines website: http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...nges/index.jsp

I also copies some info. for you regarding changes from the Delta website.
Change Fees
Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a service fee and/or a difference in fare. For travel within the 50 United States, the fee is $50 for Delta flights.

For travel outside the United States, the change fee is typically $200, but can vary based on location and type of fare. Changes are usually permitted only to the return portion of an international itinerary.

External Tickets
An additional charge applies if you would like us to change a ticket that we didn't issue. This charge applies to any ticket issued in the United States or Canada by anyone other than us, such as:

A traditional travel agency.
An online travel agency.
Another airline, including SkyTeam and codeshare partners.
The external ticket handling charge does not apply to:

Tickets originally issued by us—Reservation Sales, ticket office, or delta.com.
Involuntary changes like cancellations, delays, or schedule changes.
Tickets issued with military or government fares.
Customers completing a SkyMiles upgrade.
Same-day Confirmed Travel.

I would call Delta directly and ask them . It may be cheaper just to book a return domestic ticket to ATL.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I have changed tickets in the past for various reasons. Changes can usualy only be made after the initial out bound flight has been completed. Call Delta after arriving here and ask to change, there will be an extra charge.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 4:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The moment you purchase airline tickets, they are officially 'issued'. The physical delivery has nothing to do with this.

Why go through an travel agent for airline tickets anyway? Much cheaper and easier to do it online.

Maybe her best bet will be to purchase an internal return ticket FWA - ATL - FWA. Check Sidestep for best deals - though once you have a quote you'll often find if you contact the airline direct they'll match it.

Sorry but as a "resident" travel agent here, there are a few tricks of the trade that a GOOD agent can do for the client that an airline doesn't and that YOU can NOT do online.

I'm not saying people shouldn't ever book tickets online, but if you have a complicated itinerary, are flying children by themselves, etc, etc, then you should use an agent. Any service fee an agency charges (and airlines themselves do charge now btw) are worth it if you run into problems.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 4:15 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I have changed tickets in the past for various reasons. Changes can usualy only be made after the initial out bound flight has been completed. Call Delta after arriving here and ask to change, there will be an extra charge.

That's not true-changes can be made at anytime, you don't have to wait to fly the first part of the ticket, if your plans change before the trip.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 4:22 am
Sursum corda

Well YEAH!!!!!! I wish I could do it for free, but I can't. But I have and do give advice for free which does not necessarily result in a sale. I have also tried to help people who did not buy their tickets from me and have run into a problem. I don't qualify for sainthood by a long shot, but I do try to educate my clients, current or potential.

Basically, airlines stopped paying agencies commissions 4 years ago. Have you noticed a dramatic drop in prices due to them not having to pay us?

Sorry, but this one has me a bit steamed.............