Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Air Miles, Packing and Other Silly Stuff

Air Miles, Packing and Other Silly Stuff

Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Air Miles, Packing and Other Silly Stuff

OK I am really just looking for an excuse to quit packing - I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started emptying out my cupboards - God how can anyone accumulate so much crap! LOL.

But get this - I registered for Air Miles a few months back but they never seem to go through automatically, and then you need boarding passes to retro claim them. So I was 10,000 away from a free flight to the US (which of course would be v. handy right now!) - anyways in amongst all the crap I came across I found 6 boarding passes from the last 6 months for various connections and enough to get me 11,000 miles hehe!

OK silly question now - no doubt plenty more to come from me in the next couple of weeks.

Is there any point in taking my bedding with me - i.e. are their queen beds the same size as our double beds? Just figure if they fit it wouldn't take up much room in the cases and save at least some expense.

My cats are looking at me like what the hell is going on are we moving again LOL - if only they knew where they are about to be going ! :scared:
Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:43 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Miles, Packing and Other Silly Stuff

Originally posted by Lesley1020

OK silly question now - no doubt plenty more to come from me in the next couple of weeks.

Is there any point in taking my bedding with me - i.e. are their queen beds the same size as our double beds? Just figure if they fit it wouldn't take up much room in the cases and save at least some expense.

My cats are looking at me like what the hell is going on are we moving again LOL - if only they knew where they are about to be going ! :scared:
Nope, the queen beds here are definitely bigger than a double. You can get queen bedding and fit it onto a UK double bed ( the fitted sheet will be a bit baggy) but you can't fit UK double sheets onto a queen size bed.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face I just realised..

what a silly question that was - I was thinking duvet covers etc cos I got tons of cute ones but then I figured out that the quilts themselves would be a different size and I sure as heck am hardly gonna fit a quilt in my suitcases hehe.

I can't believe I just spend the last hour thinking about that and this is me without alcohol!
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:06 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats by the way Lesley. I took all my Kingsize duvets and covers with me, even the bottom sheets. The American equivalent of duvets are comforters and I hate them. They're so ugly, and often don't have covers, they just come in a color and you can't change the outer bit. They are also hugely expensive and there are hardly any nice designs. I have nice ones from Ikea and John Lewis and everything fits fine. I have flat bottom sheets and fitted ones and they all fit, and the duvet is fine also. I even just bought a new duvet cover set when I went back to England recently, as I just prefer the designs.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Congrats by the way Lesley. I took all my Kingsize duvets and covers with me, even the bottom sheets. The American equivalent of duvets are comforters and I hate them. They're so ugly, and often don't have covers, they just come in a color and you can't change the outer bit. They are also hugely expensive and there are hardly any nice designs. I have nice ones from Ikea and John Lewis and everything fits fine. I have flat bottom sheets and fitted ones and they all fit, and the duvet is fine also. I even just bought a new duvet cover set when I went back to England recently, as I just prefer the designs.
EEK!!! No duvets! :scared:

Ok me thinks I am shipping a quilt over and my duvet covers - maybe it will look silly but I can buy sheets for the bed over there and plonk my double quilt on top.

I asked Bob about this tonite too and he said - "Eh - whatcha asking me for I ain't a bed decorator"
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:19 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL...typical! My advice is get some of those space bags that you vacuum the air out of, and pack the duvet in that. I had tons of them. I even managed to fit my summer duvet in my suitcase in a space bag.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

What a great idea - I forgot all about those things so I will manage it in my suitcase after all!

Actually I talked to KLM/Northwest today and checked again - they def. only charge $110 for every 80lbs I am over so they said just let us know beforehand and esp. about the cats. Gonna be such fun with 40 suitcases and 2 cats
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:28 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Lesley1020
What a great idea - I forgot all about those things so I will manage it in my suitcase after all!

Actually I talked to KLM/Northwest today and checked again - they def. only charge $110 for every 80lbs I am over so they said just let us know beforehand and esp. about the cats. Gonna be such fun with 40 suitcases and 2 cats
I think a UK King size roughly equals a US Queen size.

I bought a new down duvet here a few months back for a reasonable price from Smartbargains.com.

700 fill down with a 1300 thread count silk shell. Bought a nice duver cover too.

Costco also have down duvets.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:36 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
I think a UK King size roughly equals a US Queen size.

I bought a new down duvet here a few months back for a reasonable price from Smartbargains.com.

700 fill down with a 1300 thread count silk shell. Bought a nice duver cover too.

Costco also have down duvets.
Oh and if you are feeling flush there's always Scandia Down.

I buy things from there when I'm feeling reckless