Reload this Page >

Air Freight vs. Sea Shipping?

Air Freight vs. Sea Shipping?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:56 am
Just Joined

GlobalTransplant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Freight vs. Sea Shipping?

Hi,

We're moving from London to Syracuse, NY and are weighing our options about taking household goods via air freight or sea freight. I got some quotes from both types, and they're almost the same (amazingly!).

For sea freight, I have some good recommendations, but don't have any specific recommendations for good air freight companies. Has anyone used air freight from the UK to US before? Any recommendations?

Thanks very much!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Freight vs. Sea Shipping?

Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant
Hi,

We're moving from London to Syracuse, NY and are weighing our options about taking household goods via air freight or sea freight. I got some quotes from both types, and they're almost the same (amazingly!).

For sea freight, I have some good recommendations, but don't have any specific recommendations for good air freight companies. Has anyone used air freight from the UK to US before? Any recommendations?

Thanks very much!
I moved from London to upstate NY and used S.H.E Maritime (in the phonebook I believe) to ship my stuff by sea. Got in at my US address doorstep in 9 days and was happy with the price.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husbands firm (he was L1a) paid for a 40 foot long sea container and a 6ft square air freight container for the more urgent items. they only ended up turning up 1 week apart in the end as sea freight was suprisingly quick. I dont know who actually shipped either of the freight as Pickfords came and packed it and sorted all that stuff out.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I moved from London to upstate NY and used S.H.E Maritime (in the phonebook I believe) to ship my stuff by sea. Got in at my US address doorstep in 9 days and was happy with the price.
Wow, only in 9 days? When did you ship? Most shipping companies are now quoting 6-9 weeks! Did you do a FCL or consolidated?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
my husbands firm (he was L1a) paid for a 40 foot long sea container and a 6ft square air freight container for the more urgent items. they only ended up turning up 1 week apart in the end as sea freight was suprisingly quick. I dont know who actually shipped either of the freight as Pickfords came and packed it and sorted all that stuff out.
Hi, thanks for the info! I'm considering Pickfords if I go the sea freight route, they've already been around to do the in-house estimate. They apparently have their own agents at the US end (Allied), so it shouldn't face all the problems reported under www.movingscam.com. But I didn't realize that sea and air time differences were so little, as Pickfords is currently quoting a door-to-door delivery of 6-9 weeks (if nothing else goes wrong). T

he air freight companies (e.g. EuroUSA that I found on this forum) are quoting 1-2 weeks. So I suppose it's a question of sitting around with nothing for a month or so more, and taking the risk that things might go mouldy on the sea!

Not entirely sure what to do...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the info! I'm considering Pickfords if I go the sea freight route, they've already been around to do the in-house estimate. They apparently have their own agents at the US end (Allied), so it shouldn't face all the problems reported under www.movingscam.com. But I didn't realize that sea and air time differences were so little, as Pickfords is currently quoting a door-to-door delivery of 6-9 weeks (if nothing else goes wrong). T

he air freight companies (e.g. EuroUSA that I found on this forum) are quoting 1-2 weeks. So I suppose it's a question of sitting around with nothing for a month or so more, and taking the risk that things might go mouldy on the sea!

We used Pickfords...packed in mid May arrived in NJ mid July. They used one of their US Allied companies to deliver.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We used Pickfords...packed in mid May arrived in NJ mid July. They used one of their US Allied companies to deliver.
Two months seems an awfully long time to live out of a suitcase! Given that I'm trying to do this in the busiest time (June/July) I am concerned I will get even more delays. Hence the search for an air freight alternative. Seems like most people haven't used air freight though
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I used Allied moving back to the UK and Pickfords delivered at this end. I know they were more expensive but the whole operation was quite seemless and the communication between the two was excellent.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I used Allied moving back to the UK and Pickfords delivered at this end. I know they were more expensive but the whole operation was quite seemless and the communication between the two was excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm having horrid luck with Pickfords agents at this end, they're not very 'customer service friendly'. I'm hoping that if I do end up going with them, that Allied at the US end will be good too.

Did all your stuff arrive safely and nothing broken or damaged? I hope their 'professional packing service' is going to be good...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Two months seems an awfully long time to live out of a suitcase! Given that I'm trying to do this in the busiest time (June/July) I am concerned I will get even more delays. Hence the search for an air freight alternative. Seems like most people haven't used air freight though
We brought about a dozen cases with us...plus about 8 boxes...so it wasn't too bad.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm having horrid luck with Pickfords agents at this end, they're not very 'customer service friendly'. I'm hoping that if I do end up going with them, that Allied at the US end will be good too.

Did all your stuff arrive safely and nothing broken or damaged? I hope their 'professional packing service' is going to be good...
Yes, my shipment did arrive safely. Nothing was broken at all so I was happy but then again my packers were from Allied in the US. If I remember correctly Allied sent all my contact details to Pickfords in London who then contacted me once the shipment arrived and updated me on it's status and then arranged delivery. Who are you dealing with at Pickfords?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, only in 9 days? When did you ship? Most shipping companies are now quoting 6-9 weeks! Did you do a FCL or consolidated?

Thanks for the feedback!
My mistake, it was 9 days after it was dropped at the shippers that it arrived in NYC, then took 3 days to get to my door in the US. I was impressed. Huge large wooden packing crate with a stripped down motorcycle, some furniture and numerous tool boxes and cardboard boxes inside. Think it cost me 420 GBP

Just beware that wooden packing crates have to have some kind of stamp on them to ensure they were not made from diseased timber
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I believe what takes the time is the movers moving the belongings from depot to depot before it's shipped...also they have to get all the paperwork in order for customs. If you sort out the paperwork and you can drop them at the shippers like OP did it greatly cuts down on the time involved.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:37 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

we used Pickfords. Packed late October 05 arrived just before Christmas
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

Can anyone throw any light on the actual costs involved?

We will be moving from Spain so probably slightly different to UK. Our final destination is Sacramento, CA.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.