British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Air Conditioning question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/air-conditioning-question-532183/)

Bladerunner Apr 25th 2008 7:03 pm

Air Conditioning question

Hi all

I need to get an aircon unit in my apartment very soon, as all of a sudden it's got really hot! I know little about them. There's a gap for one below the window of my apartment, but no access from the outside (it's a 30-foot drop).

Anyone know where I could get one cheap - like, 100 dollars? and how easy are they to install? I know the measurements.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in Manhattan BTW.

Steerpike Apr 25th 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Air Conditioning question

I'm sure there are folks who install those things all the time in those windows and don't need outside access. But - I would not under any circumstances try to do it yourself ... if it falls, it could kill someone. Not only do you need to make sure it doesn't fall when you first install it, you also need to make sure it's rock solid for years to come, and can withstand being fallen against, etc. I would think NYC would regulate the hell out of such installs b/c of the risk to people on the ground from a crappy install.

Methinks $100 is not going to cut it !

neil Apr 25th 2008 7:15 pm

You're right to start thinking about it, but really if you think you need it now you're not going to survive the summer. It hasn't been hot enough yet, and is about to get cooler again. Perfect time of year for having the windows open (but that probably depends where you are in Manhattan for noise levels).

Bladerunner Apr 25th 2008 8:08 pm

Well it's getting too hot for me, even with the windows open!

Was here at the end of May 2007, and it was a scorching Hell in the 100's. don't want to wait till then!

Any recommendations of aircon companies would be appreciated.

chicagojlo Apr 25th 2008 8:09 pm

Last year we bought tower fans from Target, they also purify the air which is a bonus. They were maybe $40 each and did the job.
This year we moved and have a/c so they are sitting in the walk-in waiting for the real summer to come!

Bluegrass Lass Apr 25th 2008 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 6266374)

Was here at the end of May 2007, and it was a scorching Hell in the 100's. don't want to wait till then!

Do what I do before a big purchase: use google. Search for 'window ac unit' and try to read reviews on good brands and models. One good site for reviews is consumerreports.org (though I think you have to pay for a 1 month subscription to read some reviews). But CR also does buying guides for things to consider/look for before purchasing. Use pricing info to narrow down your models, and then start searching for companies in Manhattan that do installs. Call at least 3-5 of them. Make sure they have a license (if needed in NYC) and are insured (just in case they drop it and kill someone). This may not be a cheap install if you want to make sure it's done right.

chicagojlo Apr 25th 2008 8:56 pm

I take it you own your apartment? Otherwise it would be down to your landlord...

farmerwife Apr 25th 2008 9:56 pm

Costco has free standing floor ones for sale - go inside your place with a tube like a dryer duct that you hang out the window.
Haven't tried them (but if Costco sells them they must be OK? :unsure:)

frrussre Apr 25th 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 6266111)
Hi all

I need to get an aircon unit in my apartment very soon, as all of a sudden it's got really hot! I know little about them. There's a gap for one below the window of my apartment, but no access from the outside (it's a 30-foot drop).

Anyone know where I could get one cheap - like, 100 dollars? and how easy are they to install? I know the measurements.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in Manhattan BTW.

I lived in NYC, for many many years. Sounds like you will be using a window a/c unit. Do you have a 110v or 220v A/C outlet near the window.
I assume the window is a double hung? Double hung is the easiest. Go to Best buy, PC Richards they sell and install them. Tell them the 3 dimensions of the room, they will tell you the size unit you need. I always use/suggest bigger then they say. $100, not going to happen. $200 + tax + Install, will get you the smallest, window unit. Basic. Pretty useless.
There are mobile portable units, more expensive, but only exhaust pipe needs to be out of window. IN NYC, they take up useful floor space.
Watch you Electricity bills go up. My bills in winter $100 per month summer $300 per month. We were always excessive in A/C use.
NYC, is very lax on window A/C units hanging out of windows, bits of cardboard, wood & bricks holding them up, not in. Holding the unit in is usually the top hung window, slid down over the unit. if done correct a bracket & screw is used to keep the window closed shut. You obviously, have NO knowledge of A/C's, I suggest you do not attempt to do yourself. You could ask the building super, if you have one, ask them to fit it. Ask how much first.
PM, if you have any questions.

frrussre Apr 25th 2008 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by farmerwife (Post 6266783)
Costco has free standing floor ones for sale - go inside your place with a tube like a dryer duct that you hang out the window.
Haven't tried them (but if Costco sells them they must be OK? :unsure:)

I have had 2 of these mobile units (Not Costco), useful, but not very reliable, in the longevity dept. Both units, the mechanical were good, the plastic trays & parts disintegrated. Each cost about $500. Not cheap. The ones we bought had evaporators, so did not need to empty water tray. Of course in high humidity, we occasionally had to empty the tray.
Reg. Frank R.

Bladerunner Apr 25th 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.

I rent an apartment, and am responsible for getting my own unit. $100 was a bit optimistic, I admit. May look at one of those free standing things.

Cheers everyone.

silverbirch Apr 26th 2008 4:00 pm

Ive been speaking to my friend in the U.S who also needs an air conditioning unit and doesnt know which one to go for, the window one or a free standing one, he preferes the window one but is worried about the fitting price, his house is a dorma ( a bedroom in the loft ) the window in that room is a new sliding one, would it be difficult to fit himself . :) and anyone any idea of the best make to buy in both free standing and the window one....Thanks.

Rete Apr 26th 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 6266374)

If you have an a/c opening under the window then measure the opening, height and length, and check out the a/c's at local stores such as K-Mart, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. The unit is just put into the opening and pulled in. Nothing else to do.

If, however, you are planning on using your window for the unit, then you might need an additional brace for the unit's outside casing to rest on. There are some that come with the units and are designed to hook on to the framework of the window itself and others that are sold separately that need to be drilled into the outside wall of the building. These are sold at the same place you buy the a/c. You don't need outside access to install an a/c.

Check the outside of your building and see what others have done about their a/c's. Do they use the a/c opening in the wall or their windows? Also if you have a superintendent you might want him to install it if you are hesitant to do it yourself.

Remember, however, the a/c should have enough btu's to cool the required space otherwise you will have it on 24/7 and waste money in electricial charges from Con Ed.

Check Fedders, GE, Amada (I have two of these and they are great) and Westinghouse.

For our bedroom which is 14 x 18 we use an 8,000 btu and for the rest of the apartment which is an open plan consisting of dining room, kitchen, breakfast area, living room and hallway to the bedroom, we use a 10,000 btu. Between the two going at the same time the place is cool and comfortable about one hour after turning them on and then we turn them down to low. The newer units come with a timer control to turn the a/c off and/or on. We use the control to turn off the a/c 4 hours after we have left in the morning for work and the place remains comfortable until OH comes home at 3 and turns the one on in the living room.

Rete Apr 26th 2008 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by annie22 (Post 6268970)
Ive been speaking to my friend in the U.S who also needs an air conditioning unit and doesnt know which one to go for, the window one or a free standing one, he preferes the window one but is worried about the fitting price, his house is a dorma ( a bedroom in the loft ) the window in that room is a new sliding one, would it be difficult to fit himself . :) and anyone any idea of the best make to buy in both free standing and the window one....Thanks.

The free standing on needs to have an outlet for the hose so he would need to fangle the window in some manner for the hose to have a place to go.

A/C are sold that fit into sliding windows and people usually measure the remaining opening and fill it in with the appropriate size piece of wood that can be cut to measure at most lumber yards. Dormer rooms are a bitch because they always get so hot in the summertime.

silverbirch Apr 26th 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply Rete.:)