British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Air Conditioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/air-conditioners-300199/)

woodsey May 1st 2005 8:13 pm

Air Conditioners

Think this may be just a California thing but not sure.
We have just had a device fitted to our Air conditioner that during times of excessive electricity demand, will turn it off for maybe a couple of hours at a time. We are given a $200 a year discount off our electricity bill as well as the money we save during the time its switched off. The discount was attractive due to horrendous electricity bills last year and as I can't imagine it ever being hot again due to the shitty weather we've had here over the last six months I'm not too concened about not having the air conditioning on for a couple of hours a day.
Only know one person who has volunteered for this scheme and hers was turned off just three times last year for 2 hours at a time, anyone else had it fitted or know of someone that has? How many times did it go off,if at all?

Oddly enough though the guy that fitted it said that in his experience some people who had had them fitted actually ended up plugging in fans when their unit was turned off, using more electricity than the unit itself and costing more money, doh! :eek:

BrandonBrit May 1st 2005 8:46 pm

Re: Air Conditioners

Interesting concept. Haven't heard about it out here in AZ though. I haven't turned the air on here yet, it's not hot enough, although a lot of my neighbours run theirs constantly, so I hate to think what their leccy bills are already :scared:

Does anyone use a swamp cooler instead of A/C? I would love to have one, but the bloody HOA won't let us put anything on our roof... wonder if I could call them on being more energy efficient on it, like the washing line?

dunroving May 1st 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
We have just had a device fitted to our Air conditioner that during times of excessive electricity demand, will turn it off for maybe a couple of hours at a time. We are given a $200 a year discount off our electricity bill .....Only know one person who has volunteered for this scheme and hers was turned off just three times last year for 2 hours at a time, anyone else had it fitted or know of someone that has? How many times did it go off,if at all?

....:

Yes I do the same, and in fact it also applies to my heating (including water heater, I think). I get a $10 or $20 discount I believe, on about 8 months of the year (high-useage months like middle of the summer and winter).

I have only once or twice (in 4 years) noticed the heater/AC was not turning on when I expected it to. It really hasn't cost me any inconvenience to be without heat or AC on the odd occasions the device cuts in.

Not sure whether you really save money on your leccy, though (besides the discount, I mean), as it only lasts an hour or two during which your house temp goes up (or down, depending on time of year), then when the heat/AC kick back on it is working overtime to get the temp back where it needs to be.

My bills here (NC) seem to be double what I paid in TN. 1400 square feet, single occupant, and I'd guess my utility bills average about $200-$250 a month.

Bob May 1st 2005 9:05 pm

Nice idea, but does it actually save money? going into overdive to knock the temp back down after it's been off?
Wouldn't it just be more efficient if people just had the temp set a few degree's higher?

Haven't heard of anything like that in maine...but then full blown a/c is rare here, most people have those window fans that they slow in the summer because it's usually only really horrid for a few weeks in the summer, last summer was bad though, and we had the thing on pretty much 24/7, only added about $15 on to the bill a month, but then it's also a fairly small apartment and we have a couple fans going on to circulate the air as well.

woodsey May 1st 2005 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice idea, but does it actually save money? going into overdive to knock the temp back down after it's been off?
Wouldn't it just be more efficient if people just had the temp set a few degree's higher?

Haven't heard of anything like that in maine...but then full blown a/c is rare here, most people have those window fans that they slow in the summer because it's usually only really horrid for a few weeks in the summer, last summer was bad though, and we had the thing on pretty much 24/7, only added about $15 on to the bill a month, but then it's also a fairly small apartment and we have a couple fans going on to circulate the air as well.

Probably does save money, if it only goes off a couple of times in the year for a couple of hours then $200 is a fair bit to make up, but we'll see. We are also going to have a new digital thermastat fitted which should control the temperature better as well as putting it on a timer, now its just on or off, bit crap really.

I actually think though the real issue here in California is that in really high demand times (like when everyone goes to make a cuppa during the break of Corrie at Christmas) they can't actually supply enough electricity to go round everyone, for example where my hubby works, the power goes quite often.

Bob May 1st 2005 9:42 pm

...they can't actually supply enough electricity to go round everyone, for example where my hubby works, the power goes quite often.

Problem like that here as well, just that it's shite and keeps cutting out really...though where the missus works, they have back up generators that supposedly have enough power to keep the place going for a week solid before running down...or enough power to keep the city going for a weekend...funny thing though, on another site, that had back up generators, they broke down just as the power went out and everyone got to go home....anything like that happens where the missus works, they'd just get bused to another site *lol*
only site that stays open even in a snow blizzard or whatever....does suck a bit.

franc111s May 1st 2005 9:43 pm

Actually this is how it works..... It doesn't really cost very much to reheat / recool after just 2 hours... Proven stats on that so net net, you'll get most of the savings as a bonus.

It's a reward from the electric company because if they cannot provide the whole neigborhood / city with enough power, they have to buy more at VERY HIGH RATES from someone else. The power company is buying insurance that if they need to, they can cut a good number of people over different times of the day to save them money over the year.

A lot of states do it, even some companies. The risk is not only higher bills for everyone but of a full black-out.

So to summize, it prevents black-outs and higher power-bills for the power-company (and eventually that would be passed on to you).

Common in GA too.

evoal2003 May 2nd 2005 12:04 am

[QUOTE=woodsey.

I actually think though the real issue here in California is that in really high demand times (like when everyone goes to make a cuppa during the break of Corrie at Christmas) they can't actually supply enough electricity to go round everyone, for example where my hubby works, the power goes quite often.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to move to CA I miss Corrie.

:)

woodsey May 2nd 2005 12:05 am

[QUOTE=evoal2003]

Originally Posted by woodsey.

I actually think though the real issue here in California is that in really high demand times (like when everyone goes to make a cuppa during the break of Corrie at Christmas) they can't actually supply enough electricity to go round everyone, for example where my hubby works, the power goes quite often.[/QUOTE

Can't wait to move to CA I miss Corrie.

:)

you're on top form today.. :cool:

evoal2003 May 2nd 2005 12:06 am

you're on top form today.. :cool:

Look on the bright side the missus has put up with me all day. :scared:

Hows your day?

woodsey May 2nd 2005 12:07 am

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Look on the bright side the missus has put up with me all day. :scared:

Hows your day?

go to the boring thread and you'll get the general jist of things... :zzz:

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 1:07 am

We have just had a device fitted to our Air conditioner that during times of excessive electricity demand, will turn it off for maybe a couple of hours at a time. We are given a $200 a year discount off our electricity bill as well as the money we save during the time its switched off. The discount was attractive due to horrendous electricity bills last year and as I can't imagine it ever being hot again due to the shitty weather we've had here over the last six months I'm not too concened about not having the air conditioning on for a couple of hours a day.
Only know one person who has volunteered for this scheme and hers was turned off just three times last year for 2 hours at a time, anyone else had it fitted or know of someone that has? How many times did it go off,if at all?

Oddly enough though the guy that fitted it said that in his experience some people who had had them fitted actually ended up plugging in fans when their unit was turned off, using more electricity than the unit itself and costing more money, doh! :eek:

as its already been fitted do you not think its a bit late to be asking these questions ? :D

evoal2003 May 2nd 2005 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
as its already been fitted do you not think its a bit late to be asking these questions ? :D

Ah good evening, my good man.. :)

evoal2003 May 2nd 2005 1:11 am

I thought it was a perfectly good question....

from a bird :)

You're gona tell me you read the instructions next i suppose.. :rolleyes:

woodsey May 2nd 2005 1:18 am

oh shut up, just curious thats all.. :mad:

woodsey May 2nd 2005 1:19 am

I thought it was a perfectly good question....

from a bird :)

You're gona tell me you read the instructions next i suppose.. :rolleyes:

you can shut up as well.. :mad:

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 1:19 am

oh shut up, just curious thats all.. :mad:

just tried to ring you ? busy ?

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 1:20 am

Ah good evening, my good man.. :)

bonjour Al - hows tricks ?

woodsey May 2nd 2005 1:23 am

just tried to ring you ? busy ?

just take over my thread why don't you..
yes I'm in the kitchen cooking a chinese.

Eskimo May 2nd 2005 1:28 am

just take over my thread why don't you..
yes I'm in the kitchen cooking a chinese.

make sure hes done the laundry first :D how come you dont cook Chinese when Im there ?

woodsey May 2nd 2005 1:29 am

make sure hes done the laundry first :D how come you dont cook Chinese when Im there ?

well if you didn't keep leaving me you'd be eating it now.. :(

bxpuser7543 May 2nd 2005 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Bob

it would be far better if they actually got a proper infrastructure in place,considering the US is the "NO 1" country in the world?

BritGuyTN May 2nd 2005 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
My bills here (NC) seem to be double what I paid in TN. 1400 square feet, single occupant, and I'd guess my utility bills average about $200-$250 a month.

NES has some of the lowest electricity costs for the country

Unfortunately the same can be said for the gas here

evoal2003 May 2nd 2005 3:05 pm

bonjour Al - hows tricks ?

Last nights answer was top of the world, this mornings is a slight hang over :D .