Reload this Page >

AIG Travelguard auto insurance

AIG Travelguard auto insurance

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Bogester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AIG Travelguard auto insurance

Hi

I know that AIG Travelguard auto insurance has been mentioned a lot on these pages. However, there's not much on here about how good they actually are in the event of an accident or insurance claim. Just Googling 'AIG Travelguard reviews' brings up a lot of very negative reviews (of their travel insurance, admittedly). I was going to go with Travelguard when I move to the US in a few weeks' time, but now I'm considering shopping elsewhere, even if it costs more (e.g. Geico, which gets pretty good reviews).

I'd really like to hear from someone who's actually had experiences of Travelguard at a time when it matters.

Many thanks
Bogester
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:45 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIG Travelguard auto insurance

Although we got our car insurance with AIG, it's 21st century who are the actual provider.
Anyway, someone might be along who's had to claim on it.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - it's 21st Century who provide.

They're generally viewed as a good insurer.

It's all relative mind.

We had to claim last year after some numpty reversed into us in a parking lot.

The claims process is simple enough, done over the phone, much like back home in UK.

Just be prepared for it to take 6 months to get sorted.

The other party's insurers are likely to contest, especially in this economy.

My advice is to just be a instant, mild pain - phone the person who is handling your case constantly - well every 1-2 weeks so they don't forget you.

It took 6 months for ours to get resolved, and it was open & shut case.

Oh, and unlike back home where any excess you pay is typically taken out of the settlement, meaning in practice you don't have to pay anything up front, not so here. The repair was done quickly, and well, but I had to pay our $500 excess upfront, to the body shop doing the job.

Other than that, 21st Century are fine - remember it's not so much them, rather, it's just a different system...
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

yamof is an unknown quantity at this point

We got our insurance through Travelguard, and then I had an accident a month later - my fault. It was all really easy. I had to make a statement to 21st Century over the phone, but that was it. The police had my car towed to the body shop, the body shop guy dropped me at Enterprise to pick up a rental car.... I just paid the insurance fee on the rental car, and the policy excess to the body shop when I collected the car a week later. Then they sent me a cheque to replace the child seats in the car. I'm no insurance expert, but they seemed pretty efficient.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

21st Century Insurance

The company was purchased in 2005 by AIG and then later sold in 2009 to Farmers Insurance Group of Companies
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Karjam is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also just getting quotes in for auto insurance as I arrive in California on Saturday. I have received my quote from AIG travelguard and I was also wondering whether the coverage quoted is sufficient. Here is what has been given:

The quote of $834 for 6 months is based on the coverage below:

Bodily Injury $100/300,000 ** Per Person/Per Accident
Property Damage $100,000 Each Accident
Medical Payments $5,000
Uninsured Motorist BI $100/300,000 Per person/Accident
Other than Collision $500 Deductible
Collision $500 Deductible w/ waiver
Towing & Labor $75.00 Per Disablement
Extended Transportation $50 Per Day / Maximum $1,500

I am wondering if this is the norm in terms of maximums or if someone would recommend I increase coverage?

Also they have advised that some states require you to have a state licence before you can get a car registered in your name. I am due to collect the car about a week after I arrive so this may be a problem. Does anyone know if this applies in California?

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Yep - it was easy to make a claim with 21st Century when a piece of metal got flung up and into our car on the interstate...........cost me $500 excess though as couldn't stop to get anyones details (and I was in shock...)

Interestingly it didn't affect my premium this year as such incidents are seen as not your fault here (think it would in the UK)..........so if you do drive into something, best say a piece of metal got thrown up by another car!