Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AIG relocation assistance and HSBC international

AIG relocation assistance and HSBC international

Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:59 pm
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice
Default Re: AIG relocation assistance and HSBC international

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It almost sounds too good to be true... it's $440 now but still seems very cheap, and I can't find much information on their website.

Maybe somebody could answer these questions (I've emailed them as well):
1. Are pre-existing medical conditions covered? Or do/can they increase the premiums if they do cover them?
2. That $440 is per year, per person, right? No discounts for kids or a family plan instead?
3. Is the auto program any good? Does it work like International AutoSource (buy before you head to the US) or is it basically just assistance in getting any car loan from any dealer?

Thanks.
They have a PDF on their website that you can download.... here is the direct link for that PDF.

http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetOutOfBlighty
They have a PDF on their website that you can download.... here is the direct link for that PDF.

http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf
Thanks, but I read that. It's a sales brochure rather than a policy booklet so it doesn't go into much in the way of specifics (exclusions, for starters).
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

Thanks, but I read that. It's a sales brochure rather than a policy booklet so it doesn't go into much in the way of specifics (exclusions, for starters).
last time I try an help...
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetOutOfBlighty
last time I try an help...
The website isn't great so I could well have missed it! I only found the price by downloading the application form.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

It almost sounds too good to be true... it's $440 now but still seems very cheap, and I can't find much information on their website.

1. Are pre-existing medical conditions covered? Or do/can they increase the premiums if they do cover them?
2. That $440 is per year, per person, right? No discounts for kids or a family plan instead?
3. Is the auto program any good? Does it work like International AutoSource (buy before you head to the US) or is it basically just assistance in getting any car loan from any dealer?

Thanks.
Hi Geoff,

Sorry I can't help with the medical insurance side as we have it through my husbands company but we are using them for the other things such as car, car ins, renters ins....

The $440 is to buy into the expat programme, costs of ins etc are on top of that, they should be able to give you a quote before you buy in. For us we saved more than that amount in just the car insurance!

As for the car, they put you in touch with International Autosource, whether you get a better deal than from going to them direct I don't know but we have had pretty good service from them. In fact Ford changed the deal from when we ordered the car to when we got it resulting in almost a $1000 difference from the original deal but after a little whinging International Autosource sent us a check for the difference so we actually ended up better off International Autosource got us quotes from a lot of different car manufacturers from Ford to Audi, we settled on the Ford as it was so cheap! The only problem we did have was we ordered 2 cars, one for me and one for my hubby, a week before I was due to get mine Ford cancelled the order as there had been such a high demand for that car they didn't have enough parts!!!!! But International Autosource refunded our deposit, we had that option or to wait for the 2013 model released next April!!!

HTH a little

Vicki
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Hi Geoff,

Sorry I can't help with the medical insurance side as we have it through my husbands company but we are using them for the other things such as car, car ins, renters ins....

The $440 is to buy into the expat programme, costs of ins etc are on top of that, they should be able to give you a quote before you buy in. For us we saved more than that amount in just the car insurance!

As for the car, they put you in touch with International Autosource, whether you get a better deal than from going to them direct I don't know but we have had pretty good service from them.
Thanks, that's useful to know.

International Autosource did phone me, referred through Pickfords, but it seems to be the same deal . Unfortunately I don't have an employer yet so they were unable to help me .
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

the_deep_end is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let everyone know I signed up for this service just before Christmas. Besides the benefits already listed in this thread, they now claim to be able to work with mortgage lenders who will assist with mortgages for Expats with no US credit rating. I'd already heard this was possible from a contact who knows a Mortgage Advisor in CA.

I'll be looking into this and will report back if anything interesting comes up. Until then, thanks again for the advice, help and information!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 2:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
when we did it in 2007 the $400 joining fee was a one off fee. once we joined we got the good discounts on whatever insurance we took out (ie car and renters. so it was a kind of family plan i guess as it certainly wasnt per person. we saved at least 400 striaght away on the car insurance quotes (ie anything we could get quoted for ourseleves was 600+ higher than we could get through aig).
Old Dec 30th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

They never did reply. Oh well, as lots of people seem to recommend them, I'll have to dig further myself! Thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Geoff,

I had the same problem initially - their website is awful and I emailed them but didn't hear back (this is why I started the thread...) - I then passed the details to HR at the company I'm moving to, and they managed to get in touch. Have you tried calling - maybe this is the trick!

If you don't get anywhere, let me know and I'll ask the coordinator I'm in touch with how you can proceed.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

I'd also recommend AIG / Travelguard.

The website is poor as is some of their documentation, but they are extremely helpful over the phone and have saved me significant $$$ on several things.

Totally worth the money in my opinion

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Hi,

We are using AIG/Travelguard We have been really happy with their service. We have our car insurance and renters insurance with them. They also organised a unsecured credit card with HSBC with a $10K limit (we don't bank with HSBC). They also put us in touch with a company to get a good deal on a car. Oh not forgetting the expat mortgage (4% over 30yrs), although we didn't have a big enough deposit (10% down, another 10% in savings) as we still have our UK house and decided to rent first just to make sure

HTH

Vicki

P.S. We have only been here just over 2 months so it's all very recent for us

Vicki,

Could you provide some more details on the mortgage they were offering? Was it with Wells Fargo?

Thanks

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IanH88
Vicki,

Could you provide some more details on the mortgage they were offering? Was it with Wells Fargo?

Thanks

Ian
Ian,

the one they were talking about with me was with Wells Fargo.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IanH88
Vicki,

Thanks

Ian
Hi Ian,

Yes it was through Wells Fargo. They did also say if we wait 2 years (we intend to wait at least that!) and we have no credit problems they shouldn't see any reason why they couldn't offer us a 3.5% deposit with a low interest rate, at the moment it would be 3.8%.

HTH

Vicki
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Slightly off topic, but oddly we just received a letter from Ford saying they made a mistake with our monthly lease payments but they have dropped them by $70 a month!!! So we are now only paying $248 a month! Nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.