Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AIG Membership - your experiences?

AIG Membership - your experiences?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question AIG Membership - your experiences?

Hi

I'm looking to join the AIG USA Inbound scheme to get cheap car and other insurance and get bank accounts & credit cards sorted - 5 weeks today we'll be en route to Phoenix, AZ for the start of our new adventure..!

Are there specific membership forms & routes to fill in for this? I did inquire by email with AIG and have received forms for getting auto insurance, but at this stage I'm more interested in getting bank accounts sorted, plus credit cards...

Also interested generally in experiences you had with this service...

Cheers

Harry
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:42 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIG Membership - your experiences?

we joined and paid the $400 membership fee as the first car insurance quote they gave us was $500 under the best my husband had been able to get by himself. (we get 2 cars insured for about $450 per 6 months).

we did bank accounts ourselves (i didnt even know aig helped with that as DH had all the dealings with them. Our realtor just took us into his branch and we came out with accounts (gave them ssn's a few weeks later)

we also got renters insurance with them and later on got household inmsuranmce when we bought a place (covers buildings and contents). and got cross discounts as existing customers.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

they will give you an auto insurance quote without actually joining them i think (obviously the quote is only valid if you pay the membership fee). The quote they gave us was one of the most expensive we found, so we didn't bother
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid the $400 joining fee for AIG and we pay $600 every 6 months for two new cars, we also paid $250 for renters insurance (tennants) and it was the best quote and the easiest company to deal with that we found.
Bank account is through HSBC, opened it in the UK and then opened a global account in the USA (all from the UK) and then went into a local branch when we got here to get our cheque books and cards, they also take into account our UK history if we ever want a mortgage, online banking is simple and you can link the UK and USA accounts up.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I joined prior to leaving the UK. So far I have got:

- HSBC credit card arranged prior to moving to the US
- Auto insurance - $420 for 6 months cover

The cheap insurance, and having a credit card arranged before I moved made the $400 joining fee more than worth it.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:25 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We have just joined and have saved over the $400 on our car insurance quote. Highly recommended.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EricK
I joined prior to leaving the UK. So far I have got:

- HSBC credit card arranged prior to moving to the US
- Auto insurance - $420 for 6 months cover

The cheap insurance, and having a credit card arranged before I moved made the $400 joining fee more than worth it.
My AIG agent said that I was not allowed to apply for the HSBC CC until I had a US address. I still haven't bothered as I managed to get a USD Amex from the UK in the meantime.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:04 am
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was worthwhile. I took car insurance through them, and they also helped with the mortgage. The travellers assistance (redalert or somesuch) was useful too when I was stuck travelling internationally. They also helped with tricky to process visas (non-US). All in all, well worth the $400 but I'd recommend only for a 1 time (one year) term. No need for it in the second year.

C
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Paid the membership and so far have taken up renters insurance $361 per year and we just got a quote for a 2 year old minivan for $568 for 6 months cover. Progressive quoted $1000 for the same cover, going down to $133pm when we get State driving licences.
So AIG/Travelguard wins!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:55 am
Just Joined

rubyx3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - we are looking at car insurance through AIG at the moment and it is far cheaper. Does anyone know if this insurance provides a decent level of coverage? Also what should we be looking for when it comes to car insurance?
Thanks
Ruby
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rubyx3
Hi - we are looking at car insurance through AIG at the moment and it is far cheaper. Does anyone know if this insurance provides a decent level of coverage? Also what should we be looking for when it comes to car insurance?
Thanks
Ruby
I asked AIG for their standard cover and then used the same figures for my Progressive.com quote. I don't think they were way too low for the USA. When I actually purchased the insurance I doubled the bodily injury ones which increased my premium but then got a 10% discount for whole payment.

But be warned ... the insurance can only start at 12:01AM the NEXT DAY from when you call them. So we bought the car and had to prove we had insurance but then couldn't drive it away! Weird.