Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AIG Global Expat Assistance (and International Autosource)

AIG Global Expat Assistance (and International Autosource)

Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIG Global Expat Assistance (and International Autosource)

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
A standard bumper to bumper warranty would cover everything apart from wear & tear stuff like brake pads etc. A/C would definitely be included.

Apparently VW are now offering an "Enhanced" warranty of 6years/72k on their 2018 models in an attempt to woe back buyers but you don't pay more for this.

There are "Extended" warranties that dealers will attempt to sell you when buying the car but these don't kick in until after the standard one has run out, or claim to cover things the standard one doesn't but that is virtually nothing. In general they are a ripe off, the dealers put a big markup on them to add to their profit on the deal. You also have to go through the fine print because exclusions can be extensive.
Those were my thoughts entirely. I was thinking about submitting a different thread to ask about the differences between consumer 'protection' in terms of buying both new and used cars in the US v the UK. It seems like new cars are offered with roughly the same warranty (maybe lower mileage).

I did look at that long warranty on VW. Is that now standard?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
Those were my thoughts entirely. I was thinking about submitting a different thread to ask about the differences between consumer 'protection' in terms of buying both new and used cars in the US v the UK. It seems like new cars are offered with roughly the same warranty (maybe lower mileage).

I did look at that long warranty on VW. Is that now standard?
Apparently the new longer warranty is now standard on all models except the e-Golf.

VW.com | Warranty

The norm for standard cars is typically 3years/36k. Premium (Acura, Lexus, MB etc) are typically 4year/50k.

Warranty on used is really a lottery. You probably would do best with a CPO car in that case.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the new longer warranty is now standard on all models except the e-Golf.

VW.com | Warranty

The norm for standard cars is typically 3years/36k. Premium (Acura, Lexus, MB etc) are typically 4year/50k.

Warranty on used is really a lottery. You probably would do best with a CPO car in that case.
Thanks. CPO car?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
Thanks. CPO car?
Certified Pre-Owned
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Certified Pre-Owned
Oh of course.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:26 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

After the above - please disregard my earlier comments re: warranty after what rbackhouse has said.

The car has been in the dealer's garage for over 7 weeks since I've had it and it's got to the point where I've just been collecting it, making sure the balance was zero on what i owed and walking out with it, could well be service agents trying to make them/me feel better and dropping the warranty line. I'll check my paperwork this evening.

New assholes will be torn for them if so.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
After the above - please disregard my earlier comments re: warranty after what rbackhouse has said.

The car has been in the dealer's garage for over 7 weeks since I've had it and it's got to the point where I've just been collecting it, making sure the balance was zero on what i owed and walking out with it, could well be service agents trying to make them/me feel better and dropping the warranty line. I'll check my paperwork this evening.

New assholes will be torn for them if so.
That doesn't sound good. I'd be going postal by now
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We got the AIG coverage and whilst lots of people have clearly found it to be good, it was of little use to us. The only thing we got through it was a very expensive (however v comprehensive) mobile phone deal (phone only). Everything else we sourced ourselves for less. So in short, a waste of money for us.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We got the AIG coverage and whilst lots of people have clearly found it to be good, it was of little use to us. The only thing we got through it was a very expensive (however v comprehensive) mobile phone deal (phone only). Everything else we sourced ourselves for less. So in short, a waste of money for us.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

How much were you guys charged for AIG Inbound Expat service?

thanks
Old Nov 9th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

thanks
I'm not sure how much people have been charged but they advertise it as $440 on the flyer on their website. I believe that's one year's membership
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

thanks
I think $450.