Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Age question

Age question

Old Jun 29th 2002, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age question

I got married 2 months ago to a USC but the problem is that he is 47 yrs old and I am 27. I will be using a lawyer for my adjustment of AOS from F1 visa because I am really nervous about making a mistake when doing all the paperwork. I love my husband very much but all my friends are discouraging me saying that the age difference may be a problem during the interview. My lawyer said that they could probe me more with questions because of that but she assured me that there is nothing to worry about.
Does anyone have experience with this kind of marriage?? Does anyone have a spouse 20 yrs younger and has gone through this AOS stuff?? Please let me know.
Old Jun 29th 2002, 10:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Age question

Maggie wrote:
    > I got married 2 months ago to a USC but the problem is that he is 47 yrs old and I
    > am 27. I will be using a lawyer for my adjustment of AOS from F1 visa because I am
    > really nervous about making a mistake when doing all the paperwork. I love my
    > husband very much but all my friends are discouraging me saying that the age
    > difference may be a problem during the interview. My lawyer said that they could
    > probe me more with questions because of that but she assured me that there is
    > nothing to worry about. Does anyone have experience with this kind of marriage??
    > Does anyone have a spouse 20 yrs younger and has gone through this AOS stuff??
    > Please let me know.
    >
There have been couples here with the husband 30 years older than the wife, and the
wife 30 years older than the husband, and they have been adjusted. It is doable. The
primary thing is to have evidence of your shared life together...on paper.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 30th 2002, 12:20 am
Steve

I don't think you have anything to worry about. As Alvena says as long as you have
your paperwork in order....

In our case my wife is 12 years younger than me, and we had NO problem at our AOS
interview. Wasn't even made mention of.

The only problem I can recall was the woman that was trying to get a K-1 (Fiancee)
visa from some country in S.A. and her Fiancée was MUCH MUCH younger. I think they
suspected fraud, but that was in getting a K-1. Once you are here all you have to do
is have a valid marriage

Good luck! "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I got married 2 months ago to a USC but the problem is that he is 47 yrs old and I
    > am 27. I will be using a lawyer for my adjustment of AOS from F1 visa because I am
    > really nervous about making a mistake when doing all the paperwork. I love my
    > husband very much but all my friends are discouraging me saying that the age
    > difference may be a problem during the interview. My lawyer said that they could
    > probe me more with questions because of that but she assured me that there is
    > nothing to worry about. Does anyone have experience with this kind of marriage??
    > Does anyone have a spouse 20 yrs younger and has gone through this AOS stuff??
    > Please let me know.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 30th 2002, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Alvena & Steve,
Thanks for the advise.....I have now relaxed. I will be doing my AOS soon.