Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

After Immigrant VISA, how to change maiden name?

After Immigrant VISA, how to change maiden name?

Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

jonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nice
Default After Immigrant VISA, how to change maiden name?

My visa application was submitted in my maiden name. I have my permanent residency but subsequently, my social security number and anything else I need such as a bank account is now in my maiden name. How do I get this changed to my marital name?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After Immigrant VISA, how to change maiden name?

Originally Posted by jonnyjett
My visa application was submitted in my maiden name. I have my permanent residency but subsequently, my social security number and anything else I need such as a bank account is now in my maiden name. How do I get this changed to my marital name?
Visit the mentioned offices with your marriage certificate the original, and passport in old name.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

First step - visit the SSA with a copy of your passport, visa, and marriage certificate. Changing your name with SSA first will smooth the process for all the others. Wait until you have a new SS card before doing the other changes.

Ian
Old May 12th 2010, 1:34 am
Just Joined

jonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nicejonnyjett is just really nice

We finally visited the SSA. They were not able to change my maiden name because the passport, Visa, and marriage cert. are all in my maiden name. They said that I have to get my green card changed first before I can get my SS card changed. I went back to the SSA a few days later and asked again and they said the same. I don't know what's going on, but I guess I have to file a I-90. Or can I just file an I-751 to bypass the huge fees (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416951)?

TIA!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
First step - visit the SSA with a copy of your passport, visa, and marriage certificate. Changing your name with SSA first will smooth the process for all the others. Wait until you have a new SS card before doing the other changes.

Ian
Old May 12th 2010, 2:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We finally visited the SSA. They were not able to change my maiden name because the passport, Visa, and marriage cert. are all in my maiden name. They said that I have to get my green card changed first before I can get my SS card changed. I went back to the SSA a few days later and asked again and they said the same. I don't know what's going on, but I guess I have to file a I-90. Or can I just file an I-751 to bypass the huge fees (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416951)?

TIA!
If it time for you to file the I-751, you can fill it out in your married name, that way the 10-year GC will come in your married name.

Not sure how long you've had the 2-year GC, but you can only file the I-751 during the 90-day window before the 2-year GC expires, if you are still married to your USC spouse.

Rene
Old May 12th 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Still married to my USC but I've only been in the country for 7 months, and I don't want to wait that long to change my name.

I find it pretty ridiculous that I can't change my name on my SS card without filing a name change on an I-90 first...
Old May 12th 2010, 3:06 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Don't change your name.

Seriously... my OH changed HIS name instead of making me do mine. I was the immigrant and it was a hell of a lot easier for him to do it in his birth country than me faff around with immigration paperwork. Can your OH change his, instead?

There was the added bonus of me disliking his name and preferring mine.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Don't change your name.

Seriously... my OH changed HIS name instead of making me do mine. I was the immigrant and it was a hell of a lot easier for him to do it in his birth country than me faff around with immigration paperwork. Can your OH change his, instead?

There was the added bonus of me disliking his name and preferring mine.

Old May 12th 2010, 3:18 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

You = jealous of my mad whippin' skillz
Old May 12th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, but I'm sticking with his name, and i would like to do it as soon as I can. It sucks though, my driver's license (which I'm going to receive in a couple of weeks) is going to be in my maiden name now too
Old May 12th 2010, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to the SSA a few days later and asked again and they said the same.
I suggest you go to a different SSA office. Generally, you only need your current SS card and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
Old May 12th 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest you go to a different SSA office. Generally, you only need your current SS card and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
Ok, we'll try again.

But I don't understand how an employer will go with my new name on my SS card when my green card will have a different name. How will they know that I'm the same person? And what name will they go with?
Old May 12th 2010, 7:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, we'll try again.

But I don't understand how an employer will go with my new name on my SS card when my green card will have a different name. How will they know that I'm the same person? And what name will they go with?
You will fill out the hiring documents in your married name. You can show them your marriage certificate. That indicates how the name change came about.

Remember that if you want to travel outside the USA, the plane tickets will need to be in your PASSPORT name, not your green card name.

Rene
Old May 12th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You will fill out the hiring documents in your married name. You can show them your marriage certificate. That indicates how the name change came about.

Remember that if you want to travel outside the USA, the plane tickets will need to be in your PASSPORT name, not your green card name.

Rene
Thanks for that info.

Just got off the phone with the SSA and they confirmed that I only need a gov issued ID and the mariage cert. for the name change.

Called USCIS and they were a bit ambiguous as to whether or not changing my name on my SS card will affect my 2 year Green Card renewal in 18 months. They said it might affect travel or employment hiring. Any comment about that? It shouldn't affect the renewal right?
Old May 12th 2010, 8:46 pm

Called USCIS and they were a bit ambiguous as to whether or not changing my name on my SS card will affect my 2 year Green Card renewal in 18 months. They said it might affect travel or employment hiring. Any comment about that? It shouldn't affect the renewal right?
Changing the name on your SS will not affect your immigration in any way whatsoever.

Your SS has nothing to do with traveling, so it won't affect that.

As for the employment hiring, read up on the I-9 form, it's the one employers use to verify your legal right to work here.

Rene