Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affordable places in Florida

Affordable places in Florida

Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable places in Florida

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... you are putting the cart before the horse in looking at specific areas. ......
Originally Posted by Boiler
Horse and Cart come to mind.
Copy cat!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Copy cat!
True, better to be a copy cat than a spammy realtor though.........
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blondebecky
Nice as in... A good place to raise a family and affordable, looking at a decent size house for $260,000 ish.

We were set to move to Penticton in Canada last year but it all fell through at last minute! (((

So we are exploring other options at the moment.
For that price you might be able to afford 2 homes in some areas that are still nice to live in. Depends on where you are planning on going and what you want in the way of a home, i.e. acreage, numer of baths and bedrooms, gated community or living independent, pool, etc.

My sis moved to Ft. Myers but her newly built home in a gated community was a bit higher than your budget but then there is the community pool, HOA includes lawn care, cable tv, and the house itself is 3 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms backing onto a protected national park.

Another friend is in Dundin ? and she spent less that $150 for 3 bedroom condo with all the ammenities.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

blondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really nice

Thanks Sue, Guitarmaan, Alicebog and Rete for actually answering the question I asked ))
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue, Guitarmaan, Alicebog and Rete for actually answering the question I asked ))
You'll do well in USA. Answering questions as asked is easy. Understanding and responding to what the asker actually wants/needs to know, not appreciated so much.

Last edited by RICH; Aug 14th 2013 at 5:31 am. Reason: Pulaski made me :)
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
You'll do well in USA. Answering questions as asked is easy. Understanding and responding to what the askee actually wants/needs to know, not appreciated so much.
Agreed.

I hope that most come to realise that we aren't a bunch of kill joys and wet blankets, but we're the "been there, done that" gang who can really help people by opening their eyes to what is blindingly obvious to us, but to which the asker appears oblivious. ...... If nothing else I couldn't live with myself, or be an active member here on BE, if all I was doing was egging people on with their misunderstandings and vain hopes. It would be soooo easy to just say "Yeah, that'll work, you'll have no problems, that's just what everyone else did.".

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2013 at 4:10 am.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:03 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

after 2 years off living in Tampa through the hurricanes of 2004/2005 I would live in the center of the state around Orlando if I had to go back.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by vegas
after 2 years off living in Tampa through the hurricanes of 2004/2005 I would live in the center of the state around Orlando if I had to go back.
If I'd lived through hurricanes in Florida, I'd live about 500 miles north of Orlando!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Today was the 9 year anniversary of Hurricane Charlie. It was 2 weeks after I arrived in Tampa Bay, and a bad start admittedly, but not a precedent, as it turns out.;
edit: 2 weeks after I got married, having arrived a month before.

Last edited by RICH; Aug 14th 2013 at 4:41 am. Reason: technicalities
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Panda7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very important to check out the property taxes..... don't just focus on house price.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

I hope that most come to realise that we aren't a bunch of kill joys and wet blankets, but we're the "been there, done that" gang who can really help people by opening their eyes to what is blindingly obvious to us, but to which the asker appears oblivious. ...... If nothing else I couldn't live with myself, or be an active member here on BE, if all I was doing was egging people on with their misunderstandings and vain hopes. It would be soooo easy to just say "Yeah, that'll work, you'll have no problems, that's just what everyone else did.".
Could be a good Aoril Fools joke. One day per year we post answers new members want to hear rather than truthful experiences.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Could be a good April Fools joke. One day per year we post answers new members want to hear rather than truthful experiences.
Where would the fun be in that? .... Just for the one day though, yeah, it could be amusing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2013 at 12:13 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice as in... A good place to raise a family and affordable, looking at a decent size house for $260,000 ish.

We were set to move to Penticton in Canada last year but it all fell through at last minute! (((

So we are exploring other options at the moment.

I think if you had your heart set on Canada then maybe try for something else there first.

It really is very very difficult to move to the US, and finding places you would love to live, getting excited at the prospect of moving there and then being let down by not being eligible really seems the wrong way to be going about things.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. And after a big disappointment it is often best to back up, take time out before trying "plan B".

Good luck on whatever you do, but please do your homework on Visa availability before anything else. It might help with stop future disappointments.