Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affordable Care Act (obamacare)

Affordable Care Act (obamacare)

Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:26 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Affordable Care Act (obamacare)

so sitting here planning my wedding and getting my life sorted out in America with my SS card, DL, Banking, etc, following Trump's win is it still worth getting onto the ACA website and selecting my health insurance policy while i still can?

I would guess even if he does repeal the PPACA all that would happen is the medical insurance company would either let my policy run for the full year then cancel it or offer a new policy option and cancel the excisting one immediately no doubt with a price jump.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable Care Act (obamacare)

Well President Trump doesn't take office until January, and the US health insurance system works on calendar years, with "open enrollment" going on right around now, so the chances of anything changing before the end of 2017 are virtually zero IMO.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
I would guess even if he does repeal the PPACA all that would happen is the medical insurance company would either let my policy run for the full year then cancel it or offer a new policy option and cancel the excisting one immediately no doubt with a price jump.
Once you've selected your policy, you buy it directly from the insurance company anyway. All the exchange does is show you what policies are available and help you calculate what subsidy you might get.

So once you've bought your policy, the exchange is out of the picture anyway.

Does that help?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

Small tweak - you have to go back through the exchange to cancel it, if you get other coverage mid year.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Use the system as it now exists, so get an ACA plan. Your access to insurance and its cost will probably greatly depend on where you live, so if you live in MA and have an ACA plan and it's abolished, MA will go back to RomneyCare so you might not see much change. In other states the situation could be a lot different.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Small tweak - you have to go back through the exchange to cancel it, if you get other coverage mid year.
I didn't know that - thank you :-)
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing happens that quickly.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that - thank you :-)
And you have to give 14 days notice; they can't (won't...) cancel any quicker than that. My 14 days ended at month-end, so I don't know how it works for refunds.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

For some people, they have to keep going back and forth between the exchange and the insurer, notifying the exchange and providing documents each time their income changes, and if the system doesn't work well it can be an extremely difficult process. There are ways of avoiding the difficulties, but the applicant isn't automatically told them, he has to find out for himself.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would say get a plan, if needed. You don't want to be without insurance.

Further, there may be 'grandfathering' elements to any cancellation, so having a plan may put you in a better position.

Note also - if you don't need / don't qualify for a subsidy, you don't need to go through the 'exchanges' at all. I got my plan directly from Cigna, even though it was an ACA-compliant plan. The only reason you MUST go through the exchanges is if you want a subsidy. The great thing about the exchanges, though, is they offer a single place to see many competing options. But there are options available that don't show up on the exchanges.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all

Get it. Nothing will change until at least Jan 2018, and what will change after that is up for debate - taking away healthcare for 20 million people would definitely effect people in senate districts where Senators will be up for re-election Nov 2018.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look at the ACA site and for where I currently am (WA), for my wife and I (both 34), it gave a monthly premium from $357 - $913 depending on your deductible. Does this sound about right? I remember Pulaski noting once that if you are young and in good health it is worth getting the lower monthly premium and 'risk' paying a higher deductible should you need treatment. So say I were to go that route, does $350-$400 sound about right? Dental was an extra $37-$79 per month.

Hoping to get a job soon which will include ins but I'm just checking all my options.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I had a quick look at the ACA site and for where I currently am (WA), for my wife and I (both 34), it gave a monthly premium from $357 - $913 depending on your deductible. Does this sound about right? I remember Pulaski noting once that if you are young and in good health it is worth getting the lower monthly premium and 'risk' paying a higher deductible should you need treatment. So say I were to go that route, does $350-$400 sound about right? Dental was an extra $37-$79 per month.

Hoping to get a job soon which will include ins but I'm just checking all my options.
Divide the deductible by 12 - does it roughly match the difference in premiums? Do you have enough money in savings to cover the deductible if you needed to due to a sudden ill health event in January? (Although I understand many doctors and hospitals will work out a payment plan if not.)

Assuming that all looks ok, then great! You're in a 'heads you win, tails you don't lose' situation. Hopefully you'll remain healthy, and bank the difference each month. Is the low deductible plan HSA-compliant? If you can afford to fully fund a HSA, this can be a considerable saving depending on your marginal rate of tax.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Great info Kodokan, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have health insurance, you'll be subject to a fine.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-...being-covered/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.