Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affordable car rental back home...

Affordable car rental back home...

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:39 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable car rental back home...

Originally Posted by User Name
Yes, that so annoyed me. I realized that the US car hire system is so much better, offers a much better customer friendly service.
YEP.

No problems with Hertz in the US.

Hertz in the UK -- hert.

Got the all-inclusive package deal through BA that included insurance.

Someone whacked my wing mirror while I was parked at night on a street in rural Somerset.

Turned car back in. Got home to 500 POUND bill for repair of wing mirror. Found in small print that there was a 800 POUND deductible for said paid-for insurance no matter what the cause. Further found that if I'd refused the Hertz "it hertz" insurance, and stuck the charge on my MasterCard, MC would have picked up the costs in full.

Apparently Americans get taken by Hertz, Avis etc overseas all the time, cos we think that it'll be just like the US, right? Wrong.

Double and triple-check the T&C. Oh how nice it must be to charge someone who lives 5,000 miles away in another country, a sh*tload of money AFTER they've left.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:30 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I could have fitted a Corsa in the boot of the one I just rented there

You must have been travelling alone ?
Que ? I did not say I rented a Corsa, I just quoted 1car1's home page................
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Que ? I did not say I rented a Corsa, I just quoted 1car1's home page................
My profound appologies
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:28 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Turned car back in. Got home to 500 POUND bill for repair of wing mirror. Found in small print that there was a 800 POUND deductible for said paid-for insurance no matter what the cause. Further found that if I'd refused the Hertz "it hertz" insurance, and stuck the charge on my MasterCard, MC would have picked up the costs in full.
That's more or less what happened to me with 1car1. They charged me the £500 damage fee but despite repeated email enquiries never provided me with any proof of what the repair bill actually was.

If it really was £500 or more why would they not have sent the info to me? The fact that they did not makes me think that the repair was considerably less than £500.

It's quite a nice side line for them.

Another time I would make sure I used credit card to pay which provided cover.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:57 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
YEP.

No problems with Hertz in the US.

Hertz in the UK -- hert.

Got the all-inclusive package deal through BA that included insurance.

Someone whacked my wing mirror while I was parked at night on a street in rural Somerset.

Apparently Americans get taken by Hertz, Avis etc overseas all the time, cos we think that it'll be just like the US, right? Wrong.

Double and triple-check the T&C. Oh how nice it must be to charge someone who lives 5,000 miles away in another country, a sh*tload of money AFTER they've left.
The way Americans get totally ripped off by these unsatisfactory practices is nothing short of shameful and very deserving of protective legislation. I'm sure that there are some straightforward vehicle hire business around Heathrow airport, but it is so easy to get fooled thinking the American version carries over into the UK version of the same car hire outfit.

I now make my own arrangements to get to my destination from the airport and hire a car from a local car hire business, and I like to be told what is wrong with the car like here in the USA and prefer to make an inspection in full daylight and after a good nights sleep. I especially look for things that are not recorded on the card as provided by the car hire place.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 23rd 2006 at 3:15 pm. Reason: sentence construction
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:09 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, but if one makes arrangements to get to one's final destination that does not involve one sitting behind the driving wheel then there is no chance of falling asleep at the wheel after a red eye flight to the UK. In addition, there is no fun in driving in rush hour traffic after arriving on a red-eye flight.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

The way Americans get totally ripped off by these unsatisfactory practices is nothing short of shameful and very deserving of protective legislation. I'm sure that there are some straightforward vehicle hire business around Heathrow airport, but it is so easy to get fooled thinking the American version carries over into the UK version of the same car hire outfit.
This is not Americans getting ripped off, it's just differences between renting a car in Europe compared to the US. In Europe all the major car companies charge an excess on the insurance (CDW & TP) no matter where the customer originated. You can purchase a waiver called SCDW which reduces the excess to zero if you want. In the US if you purchase insurance (LDW and LIS) there is no excess.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:08 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by THFC1
This is not Americans getting ripped off, it's just differences between renting a car in Europe compared to the US. In Europe all the major car companies charge an excess on the insurance (CDW & TP) no matter where the customer originated. You can purchase a waiver called SCDW which reduces the excess to zero if you want. In the US if you purchase insurance (LDW and LIS) there is no excess.

I am sorry, but we are going to have to disagree. At least some of the car hire outfits around the UK airports take sinful advantage of tired travellers and it is nothing short of shameful and disgusting. Local trading standards officers should be imposing good business practices, but that doesn't seem to be happening and one may rationally conclude that new legislation is needed to bring such shameful business practices to heel. It is so bad that I never hire from a car hire place at a UK airport, I expect to see other travellers get ripped off, and I find that shameful, I feel ashamed that my fellow countrymen would even think of behaving as a matter of routine in that fashion against tired travellers, I don't want to see it and rather make my own arrangements to get to my destination and after a good night's sleep take a cab to a local car hire to get a vehicle. Works out much better that way.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

I am sorry, but we are going to have to disagree. At least some of the car hire outfits around the UK airports take sinful advantage of tired travellers and it is nothing short of shameful and disgusting. Local trading standards officers should be imposing good business practices, but that doesn't seem to be happening and one may rationally conclude that new legislation is needed to bring such shameful business practices to heel. It is so bad that I never hire from a car hire place at a UK airport, I expect to see other travellers get ripped off, and I find that shameful, I feel ashamed that my fellow countrymen would even think of behaving as a matter of routine in that fashion against tired travellers, I don't want to see it and rather make my own arrangements to get to my destination and after a good night's sleep take a cab to a local car hire to get a vehicle. Works out much better that way.
Those poor tired travellers
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:21 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by THFC1
Those poor tired travellers

The easy way to avoid getting ripped off is not to get ripped off.

Just plan ahead and hire from a local car hire.