Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support - I-134 Question 11

Affidavit of Support - I-134 Question 11

Old Oct 8th 2002, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support - I-134 Question 11

Hello all...my fiance is busy filling this out for me...does he have to answer Q 11 regarding contributions? I thought the K1 visa was temporary, nonimmigrant, but I will be there permanently? We just want to get this right!

Thanks in adavnce, helpful people :-)

Peace,

D.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 12:02 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Affidavit of Support - I-134 Question 11

Originally posted by dazeychain:
Hello all...my fiance is busy filling this out for me...does he have to answer Q 11 regarding contributions? I thought the K1 visa was temporary, nonimmigrant, but I will be there permanently? We just want to get this right!

Thanks in adavnce, helpful people :-)

Peace,

D.
we found this one tricky too - i assume specific contributions would be by someone providing a second affidavit if the affidavit by the US fiancé isn't enough on its own.

when my fiancé filled this in we talked about it a lot. the affidavit talks about examples of whether you intend to furnish 'room and board' and other contributions. we felt him talking about providing me room and board didn't sound like a marriage, more like a benevolent landlord, and therefore might make the marriage sound suspect so in the end he stated he intended to support me as his wife, a dependant in his own home, until such time as were able to share responsibility for the family finances. i think the intention is clear from that but it depends how picky they are with the wording. looking at it again i can see there are probably legal loopholes in it big enough to drive a bus through.

this is a really good point and i'm glad you brought it up. it has made me wonder - if anyone thinks that wording won't cut it at the interview stage when they examine the affidavit please shout loud because i'll have to get my fiancé to redo it quick.

can anyone who's been successful with this let us know what wording they used?

folinkyinla, what do you think?

thanks in advance.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Oct 8th 2002, 12:18 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett:

we found this one tricky too - i assume specific contributions would be by someone providing a second affidavit if the affidavit by the US fiancé isn't enough on its own.

when my fiancé filled this in we talked about it a lot. the affidavit talks about examples of whether you intend to furnish 'room and board' and other contributions. we felt him talking about providing me room and board didn't sound like a marriage, more like a benevolent landlord, and therefore might make the marriage sound suspect so in the end he stated he intended to support me as his wife, a dependant in his own home, until such time as were able to share responsibility for the family finances. i think the intention is clear from that but it depends how picky they are with the wording. looking at it again i can see there are probably legal loopholes in it big enough to drive a bus through.

this is a really good point and i'm glad you brought it up. it has made me wonder - if anyone thinks that wording won't cut it at the interview stage when they examine the affidavit please shout loud because i'll have to get my fiancé to redo it quick.

can anyone who's been successful with this let us know what wording they used?

folinkyinla, what do you think?

thanks in advance.

regards
-=-
scarlett
postscript

we didn't know about this newsgroup when we did this form or we would have asked. i don't think the people we used to file 129F looked it over as it wasn't needed at that stage.... getting seriously worried now...

Old Oct 8th 2002, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

postscript

we didn't know about this newsgroup when we did this form or we would have asked. i don't think the people we used to file 129F looked it over as it wasn't needed at that stage.... getting seriously worried now...
Thanks Scarlett, I'm glad you're thinking similar things. Perhaps I should have said that my fiance's uncle is going to be a co-sponsor and perhaps the question would apply to him more? I really don't know if either have to fill it in.

I wanted to check that everyone actually answered the question, as it refers to being in the US only temporarily? Is there concensus on this?

Our first NOA is dated May8, so we're hoping to hear from Nebraska soon (I know, like everyone else!).

Peace,

PS - I'm going to email the embassy to see what they say. If anyone gets back to me, I'll post it here.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 12:53 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by dazeychain:

Thanks Scarlett, I'm glad you're thinking similar things. Perhaps I should have said that my fiance's uncle is going to be a co-sponsor and perhaps the question would apply to him more? I really don't know if either have to fill it in.

I wanted to check that everyone actually answered the question, as it refers to being in the US only temporarily? Is there concensus on this?

Our first NOA is dated May8, so we're hoping to hear from Nebraska soon (I know, like everyone else!).

Peace,

PS - I'm going to email the embassy to see what they say. If anyone gets back to me, I'll post it here.
ack! looked at the form again and i see what you mean.

(beating head against brick wall)

i'm thinking now this should have been left blank because, as you say, it does say complete only if the person named will be in the US temporarily. and though the visa is temporary, yes, the intention to stay isn't. ack ack ack!

ok who thinks i need to ask my fiancé to do a new affidavit and who thinks we'll be ok because we made it clear in our wording we weren't talking temporary, even though we probably made a mistake in filling that section in?

extremely greatful for any advice here.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:13 pm
ScarlettHill

LEAVE IT BLANK

i called the embassy helpline. they were iffy about how filling this one in would seem, even if the wording indicated a permanent stay. they thought it might be alright but couldn't guarantee.

their advice was for me to get new ones, just in case.

damn.

so grateful to you for bringing this to my attention.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LEAVE IT BLANK

i called the embassy helpline. they were iffy about how filling this one in would seem, even if the wording indicated a permanent stay. they thought it might be alright but couldn't guarantee.

their advice was for me to get new ones, just in case.

damn.

so grateful to you for bringing this to my attention.

regards
-=-
scarlett
Thanks Scarlett, I'll let my fiance know, I'm sorry about your documents.

Peace,

D.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 2:02 pm
Pete

Hmm While the K1 is a temporary Visa, the DS230 is for an immigrant
application which is pretty much a statement that you intend on being
classified as permanent.. The question 11 asks
(Complete this block only if the person named in the item 3 will be in the
United States temporarily.)

As I don't intend on being temporary, we didn't tick the boxes and put N/A
in the text area.. Bit of a "grey area" ..
Hmmm

"ScarlettGarrett" wrote in message
ews:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by dazeychain:
    > > Hello all...my fiance is busy filling this out for me...does he have
    > > to answer Q 11 regarding contributions? I thought the K1 visa was
    > > temporary, nonimmigrant, but I will be there permanently? We just
    > > want to get this right!