British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   affidavit of support/cosponsor question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/affidavit-support-cosponsor-question-107938/)

tomato Apr 27th 2002 7:40 pm

affidavit of support/cosponsor question

Hi everyone,

Our I-129F package was received, and I've gotten the first NOA back. Our receipt date was April 5th, and NSC says we're looking at 70-100 days for processing. *ack*

So I'm trying to get the affidavit of support stuff all put together for my fiance. Now, I just graduated from college in December, so for the past three years, I've been working part-time jobs while attending school full-time. There's *no* way I can show ability to support him financially. Also, I've been working a temporary office job for the past few months (let's not go into the utter *uselessness* of my stupid degree), and that's not exactly making me a millionaire.

So I recruited my dad, who's more than willing to cosponsor. I know that I need a letter from his employer, stating how long he has worked there and what his annual income is. Do I also need his tax forms for the past three years? Also, he's thinking of changing jobs, but hasn't decided yet. If he does change jobs, his income won't change enough to be a concern, but will it matter if the letter from the employer says he's worked there for...a month or whatever? Is there anything else that I need that I'm missing?

And lastly, if I know that I have to have a cosponsor, do I still fill out the affidavit of support form with *my* information? Or do I just have my dad do one? Or should we *each* do one?

I know, I know, lots of questions...thanks so much for being such a great resource, everyone. *big smile*

Shelley Apr 28th 2002 6:40 am

Re: affidavit of support/cosponsor question

You must submit an I-134, because you are the sponsor. You father will also submit
and I-134 as the co-sponsor. Unless the Consulate you are working with requests tax
returns, the I-134 only requires a letter from your employer and pay stubs as proof
of current income. You will need those three years of tax return in a few months when
you and your new spouse file the Adjustment of Status paperwork (then you and your
dad will need to submit I-864s) Take Care. Shelley

"tomato" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Our I-129F package was received, and I've gotten the first NOA back. Our receipt
    > date was April 5th, and NSC says we're looking at 70-100 days for processing. *ack*
    >
    > So I'm trying to get the affidavit of support stuff all put together for my fiance.
    > Now, I just graduated from college in December, so for the past three years, I've
    > been working part-time jobs while attending school full-time. There's *no* way I
    > can show ability to support him financially. Also, I've been working a temporary
    > office job for the past few months (let's not go into the utter *uselessness* of my
    > stupid degree), and that's not exactly making me a millionaire.
    >
    > So I recruited my dad, who's more than willing to cosponsor. I know that I need a
    > letter from his employer, stating how long he has worked there and what his annual
    > income is. Do I also need his tax forms for the past three years? Also, he's
    > thinking of changing jobs, but hasn't decided yet. If he does change jobs, his
    > income won't change enough to be a concern, but will it matter if the letter from
    > the employer says he's worked there for...a month or whatever? Is there anything
    > else that I need that I'm missing?
    >
    > And lastly, if I know that I have to have a cosponsor, do I still fill out the
    > affidavit of support form with *my* information? Or do I just have my dad do one?
    > Or should we *each* do one?
    >
    > I know, I know, lots of questions...thanks so much for being such a great resource,
    > everyone. *big smile*
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

tomato Apr 28th 2002 7:14 pm

Re: affidavit of support/cosponsor question

Thanks much Shelly!

Really really appreciate the help!