Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise Please For Future Move To Usa

Advise Please For Future Move To Usa

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:49 pm
Gilly123

Exclamation Advise Please For Future Move To Usa

Hi Everyone

Im in a bit of a pickle and am after a bit of advise...
Ive got to say Im totally in love with New York, Its such a great place and I can imagine living there its wonderful and life in England is wearing a bit dull, im 28 now and me and my partner are totally struck on the idea of moving there. Its not that hate England but I feel that we need a change, meet diffrent people and start a new life somewhere else( If you knwo what I mean ! ) And theres just something about New York that captures me. I dont want to spend the rest of my life working here in sunny Northampton just to pay a morgage on a house in a place I dont really like anymore.

Well here is where I need the advise...... :scared:
How do I go about doing something like this ? Im not a doctor or a teacher, Im a shift manager at a warehouse and my other half is a postman and we obviously dont have 100k in our bank ( otherwise I think I would have spent it by now..!! lol )
Though speaking to some of my polish staff I asume you can do it the same way that they gain entry, working on a green card until you get sponsorship from a job.
I know Im not the smartest person, though I know I could have done a degree should I have wanted too, but is there other ways around it ?

I was looking on the green card lottery programme and It said that I would have a high chance of getting one because my mother is spanish ! Im not sure what diffrence that makes but any news is good news.

We did have an idea that was to buy a property over there ( 2nd morgage ) and then for later one of us give up work and search for full time work over there, whllst renting out our property.

Well I hope you guys can help me out, Because this would be a dream come ture to me and my partner.

I look forward to any help......

Thanks for reading...

Christine xx

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise Please For Future Move To Usa

Read here then come back with questions ....
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gilly123
Hi Everyone

Ive got to say Im totally in love with New York, Its such a great place and I can imagine living there its wonderful and life in England is wearing a bit dull, im 28 now and me and my partner are totally struck on the idea of moving there. Its not that hate England but I feel that we need a change, meet diffrent people and start a new life somewhere else( If you knwo what I mean ! ) And theres just something about New York that captures me. I dont want to spend the rest of my life working here in sunny Northampton just to pay a morgage on a house in a place I dont really like anymore.

How do I go about doing something like this ? Im not a doctor or a teacher, Im a shift manager at a warehouse and my other half is a postman and we obviously dont have 100k in our bank ( otherwise I think I would have spent it by now..!! lol )
Though speaking to some of my polish staff I asume you can do it the same way that they gain entry, working on a green card until you get sponsorship from a job.
I know Im not the smartest person, though I know I could have done a degree should I have wanted too, but is there other ways around it ?

I was looking on the green card lottery programme and It said that I would have a high chance of getting one because my mother is spanish ! Im not sure what diffrence that makes but any news is good news.

We did have an idea that was to buy a property over there ( 2nd morgage ) and then for later one of us give up work and search for full time work over there, whllst renting out our property.

Well I hope you guys can help me out, Because this would be a dream come ture to me and my partner.

Thanks for reading...

Christine xx
Have PM,d you
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:28 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks for reading...

Christine xx

Hi there and welcome!
What part of New York were you thinking of, City or state?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:02 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I PM'd you too!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:31 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks for reading...

Christine xx
I'm the one that didn't Pm you.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

looking at what you say there, dont' stand a chance of getting sponsored....postal worker, you'd need a greencard first before you could work, lucky they changed it recently....and the way it works, you get a work visa, after a while company sponsors you for greencard, takes years, costs lots...UK is very easy and quick in comparison.

errr....NY city ain't cheap....think further a field...

another thing, you say partner and not spouse...need to be married to get the spousal visa, other wise you'll both need visa's in your own rights...
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
looking at what you say there, dont' stand a chance of getting sponsored....postal worker, you'd need a greencard first before you could work, lucky they changed it recently....and the way it works, you get a work visa, after a while company sponsors you for greencard, takes years, costs lots...UK is very easy and quick in comparison.

errr....NY city ain't cheap....think further a field...

another thing, you say partner and not spouse...need to be married to get the spousal visa, other wise you'll both need visa's in your own rights...

Bob...don't you have to be a USC to be a postal worker?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bob...don't you have to be a USC to be a postal worker?
not any more, it got changed around a few years back, have to be a citizen I think for anything high up there, but for grunt and office work, can be a greencard holder, but you have to have the card in hand...
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not any more, it got changed around a few years back, have to be a citizen I think for anything high up there, but for grunt and office work, can be a greencard holder, but you have to have the card in hand...
EAD is no good, got to be the GC.

Looks like you have all been very kind, congrats.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
EAD is no good, got to be the GC.

Looks like you have all been very kind, congrats.

That's exactly what Bob said isn't it?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's exactly what Bob said isn't it?
yup, it was...but it's late at night, so blame it on the sauce perhaps
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks for reading...

Christine xx
Off hand I'd say your chances of moving to the US are slim and none, mostly none.

Last edited by Jabba1; Jul 24th 2006 at 5:02 am.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:39 am
Gilly123

Wow..Thanks guys for all your replys...

Ive got my heart set on this... So if theres a way I wil try to find it...!

Im not going to give in on the first hurdle.. I mean how many people are doctors and so on.... Gees Im just a normal person whos hard working and deserves a chance at a dream.. I was brought up to finish school and buy my own house, and then your on your own... So Im going to try...

Has anyone actually lived in America with out being trained in a high profession ?

Ive been looking at the American green card lottery, It says that I am eligible to enter because my mum is Spanish and she was born there, but if they were both English I would not..
But does anyone know what the chances are of winning in this lottery ?
Because you have to pay to enter.. !

You know what they say ... If theres a will theres a way.

It just winds me up a bit because our country is full of foreign mostly Polish and they get to come straight over and work and for an English person wanting to move abroad its soooo. much harder.. (damn it... )

But please keep the advise coming .... your giving me some hope..

Many Thanks

Christine

Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:40 am
Gilly123

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Have PM,d you
Hi There

Im sorry I did not get your Pm for some strange reason...

Im not being rude and ignoring you.......

Many Thanks

Christine x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.