Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise on Past Job History

Advise on Past Job History

Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:54 am
Guest21

Default Advise on Past Job History

Ok I have been selected for a final interview as a Flight Attendant for a Major US Airline.

Question is this the background checks are very tight as well they should be but? since I have lived in the US, neally 3 years now I before my present and last job I did alot of temping like a week here a couple of weeks there they have told me that I should disclose all the job history for the past 10 years well since I have been in the US to be honest I have no idea what dates I worked at these places and some were a matter of days.
Will it not look bad to mention all these jobs? my resume does not mention them I just fudged the gaps but I do not want to blow this opportunity.

Do you think they check every damn detail of when I started 1 job and finished another can they check this?

Before anyone asks I have never been fired, had a warning nothing just think that about 12 jobs in 3 years will go against me

Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on Past Job History

Originally Posted by whiskers
Ok I have been selected for a final interview as a Flight Attendant for a Major US Airline.

Question is this the background checks are very tight as well they should be but? since I have lived in the US, neally 3 years now I before my present and last job I did alot of temping like a week here a couple of weeks there they have told me that I should disclose all the job history for the past 10 years well since I have been in the US to be honest I have no idea what dates I worked at these places and some were a matter of days.
Will it not look bad to mention all these jobs? my resume does not mention them I just fudged the gaps but I do not want to blow this opportunity.

Do you think they check every damn detail of when I started 1 job and finished another can they check this?

Before anyone asks I have never been fired, had a warning nothing just think that about 12 jobs in 3 years will go against me
It would be best to assume that background checks are tight. Imagine you are the airline. Wouldn't you like to be assured that your flight attendants and and employees, especially those who interact with the public are all that they say they are?

As for the temping, you should check the Yana Parker website about how best to note such short assignments.

Best of luck!

NC Penguin
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:15 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If they're all under a temp agency, just lump them together.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:18 am
Guest21

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]It would be best to assume that background checks are tight. Imagine you are the airline. Wouldn't you like to be assured that your flight attendants and and employees, especially those who interact with the public are all that they say they are?

I totally agree with you 100% I never thought other wise.

But I just don't know if all those jobs will go against me?

Thanks for the link I appreciate it

Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:19 am
Guest21

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If they're all under a temp agency, just lump them together.
Thats a cool idea.

Thanks

Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:24 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whiskers]
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It would be best to assume that background checks are tight. Imagine you are the airline. Wouldn't you like to be assured that your flight attendants and and employees, especially those who interact with the public are all that they say they are?

I totally agree with you 100% I never thought other wise.

But I just don't know if all those jobs will go against me?

Thanks for the link I appreciate it
If you've been called for interview, I wouldn't have thought the temp jobs are "against" you. On the other hand, you want to draw out the transferable skills that you can bring to the prospective job from the temp jobs.

PS: be ready to give names and addresses for references. If you've been temping, I guess it'd be the agencies.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell the truth....like AdobePinon said just lump them altogether and give the details of the agency you worked for.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:32 am
Guest21

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]

If you've been called for interview, I wouldn't have thought the temp jobs are "against" you. On the other hand, you want to draw out the transferable skills that you can bring to the prospective job from the temp jobs.

PS: be ready to give names and addresses for references. If you've been temping, I guess it'd be the agencies.

NC Penguin
Luckily I have 1st class referances so thats a plus.

I think I will just have to really sit down and work out all the dates one way or the other as I would always be worried that it would come back and bite me one day if I did not mention them, I guess I will just make light of it at the interview and hope they take me for me.

Thanks all

Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whiskers]
Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Luckily I have 1st class referances so thats a plus.

I think I will just have to really sit down and work out all the dates one way or the other as I would always be worried that it would come back and bite me one day if I did not mention them, I guess I will just make light of it at the interview and hope they take me for me.

Thanks all
Make up a list for yourself and be ready to tell them the details if they ask. Like NCP says, also make a list of what you got out of those jobs and use that at the interview. List the agency as the employer - you'll be fine. Be careful of 'making light of it' - it could come across as hiding something, and you have nothing to hide. If you had a lot of short jobs, it's understandable that you don't have the exact dates and you shouldn't need to worry about it.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:42 am
Guest21

[QUOTE=AdobePinon]
Make up a list for yourself and be ready to tell them the details if they ask. Like NCP says, also make a list of what you got out of those jobs and use that at the interview. List the agency as the employer - you'll be fine. Be careful of 'making light of it' - it could come across as hiding something, and you have nothing to hide. If you had a lot of short jobs, it's understandable that you don't have the exact dates and you shouldn't need to worry about it.
I think I knew all along what was the right thing to do it was a just a case of needed to hear someone else tell me, I am sure we have all done that at some time in our lives

Better get my act together tomorrow and think positive get this all down in black and white.

Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just list the temp agency, as you worked for them, not the individual companies, if there were any particular good stints, you could list those in brackets, and then the background check would go through the agency, who would have all the records on file....sorted.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:00 pm
Guest21

Update.
As of the events today and the recent release or pending release of Snakes on a Plane I have decided that I am going to keep my feet on firm ground.

Luckily I got accepted for another job today in the Aviation industry but for ground crew.
Some things are not ment to me.

Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:05 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Update.
As of the events today and the recent release or pending release of Snakes on a Plane I have decided that I am going to keep my feet on firm ground.

Luckily I got accepted for another job today in the Aviation industry but for ground crew.
Some things are not ment to me.

Congratulations on the ground support job
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:08 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Congratulations on the ground support job

Thanks Kate.
My Mum and Dad were having kittens about me going to the Airline Interview for Flight Attendent, poor old folk would never of slept again.
And this is a great job I get to travel but as a passenger.

Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kate.
My Mum and Dad were having kittens about me going to the Airline Interview for Flight Attendent, poor old folk would never of slept again.
And this is a great job I get to travel but as a passenger.
That's great to hear. Congratulations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.