Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Wikiposts

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by pigg10
LOL so true OH received his booklet Medicare and You, it is mind boogling. I am still in the donut hole. There is over 152 pages.
Good thing about being in the donut hole, it at least means you're still alive!

I'd highly recommend the AARP book Medicare for Dummies, by Patricia Barry. AARP also has very good Medicare explanations, FAQs etc online. Note that although AARP affiliates sell a Medigap policy, AARP are very careful not to try to market their product via their educational material online.

Medicare themselves also have voluminous and helpful material online. So the material is out there... But seriously folks, expect to spend many, many hours becoming informed, because there are serious and expensive decisions to make. And for Medigap, Medicare Part D, and Medicare Part C (if you choose to investigate that route) you'll be dealing with commercial insurance companies (even though they are offering products defined and regulated by Medicare.)
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
****ing idiot.
What?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also in this boat. I brought my 78 year old dad here and in the process of getting his LPR.

So all this expense with medicaid. Like the app $12K /year. Isn't that about the same cost as private health insurance. So why bother with medicaid then, especially since with medicaid the options for care providers will be seriously limited?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you got quotations for Private Insurance? Anybody out there who will insure a 78 year old?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I'm also in this boat. I brought my 78 year old dad here and in the process of getting his LPR.

So all this expense with medicaid. Like the app $12K /year. Isn't that about the same cost as private health insurance. So why bother with medicaid then, especially since with medicaid the options for care providers will be seriously limited?
Remember there are two alternate routes with Medicare, traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage (aka Medicare Part C.)

Traditional Medicare, providers should NOT be seriously limited. You can go to anyone, no referral needed, as long as they take Medicare assignment. For Traditional Medicare, you would need;
Part A
Part B
Part D
Medicare Supplement

Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part C is more of an HMO or PPO situation. You just go to certain providers. For that, you need;
Part A
Part B
Part C
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

My apologies, I misread this. My previous response was talking about Medicare; which your father will be eligible for after living here for five years. I now see that you were asking about Medicaid.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:24 am
Account Closed

He probably was talking about Medicare.

I am famous for mentioning one but meaning the other.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What?
Bit of therapy there.

Wouldn't he get a subsidy based on his income?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, and I believe that you are right that the ACA means no one can be denied insurance regardless of age or existing conditions. Of course if the income is too low and he is living in a State that has not expanded Medicare he would not qualify for subsidies.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jun 28th 2014 at 2:16 am.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
He probably was talking about Medicare.

I am famous for mentioning one but meaning the other.
Exactly.
But in my case, it's not that I'm famous, it's that I still struggle to identify which is which. They are far TOO familiar sounding.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bit of therapy there.

No idea about the subsidy. He does have a peanut sized income so if there is such a thing he would qualify, but how does it work and where do I start?

Last edited by jmood; Jun 28th 2014 at 3:48 am.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:38 am
Account Closed

I looked on the local ACA site for CO and my ZIP.

You can get pricing for someone of that age.

In round numbers varied from $500 to $1250 pm.

Assuming you can get credits, would that not be a better deal than Medicare?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have you got quotations for Private Insurance? Anybody out there who will insure a 78 year old?
Not recently but I had looked it up about 2 years ago. Yes there were plenty insurers then, the monthlies were around $1000 and the yearly deductibles were very big. Hmm, I guess that does add up to more than $12,000 quoted before for MediCARE.
Need a mnemonic or something - we CARE for the elderly - does that work?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Nope.

I do not think of ACA as private insurance. But assuming subsidies are available then a basic plan should be free or close to that, you have to fund the co pay/deductibles.

Do NOT try and make sense of any of this, just does your head in.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Good point, and I believe that you are right that the ACA means no one can be denied insurance regardless of age or existing conditions. Of course if the income is too low and he is living in a State that has not expanded Medicare he would not qualify for subsidies.
So if the state he is living in does not have expanded medicare (which means part D?) he may be eligible for subsidies for the ACA? Did I get that right?
Where do I start investigating?

Edit:
OH, OK, perhaps you actually meant if the state he is living in does not have expanded medicare he may be eligible for subsidies for Medicare? Please help me understand! Eek!

Last edited by jmood; Jun 28th 2014 at 3:55 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.