Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Originally Posted by helwardman
If you mean the laptop power supply, then that isn't simply a transformer but a switched-mode power supply.
True, but surely it would present the same fire hazard, or at least enough of one for the insurance company to get their knickers in a twist?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
True, but surely it would present the same fire hazard, or at least enough of one for the insurance company to get their knickers in a twist?
Not like it draws in that much current though...nor something used for prolong periods...
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kerednai
Hi,
I am moving the US at the end of the month and am looking for some advise.
1) I have a UK LCD TV that I would like to take to the US as it cost quite a bit when I bought it and handles fast moving sports like soccer very well - the main reason I bought it. Anyway I am aware that I would need a step down transformer but as long as I connect it to digital or cable outputting via an HDMI cable I don't think I should have a problem watching US TV. Its also not costing me to ship it so I don't have that as a negative. I was told today in passing by the person from the company who is arranging my move that a lot of people take their TV's to the US these days, but she ahs heard that the TV should not be left on overnight. I'm assuming this is bassed on the extra heat generated by the transformer and the fire risk. Is this something I should be concerned about?
As mentioned, if it's not a multi-voltage TV you'll need to get a step-up transformer and you want to make sure that it's well overspecced because the ratings can be a little on the iffy side any you really want to make sure it's got enough headroom. For example, the spec on the step-up transformer I use on one of my amplifiers is supposedly able to deal with about 2.5 times the load that the amp puts on it. It doesn't even the warm, let alone hot.

I'd also check that your TV does NTSC even though that shouldn't be necessary with an HDMI connection.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I'd also check that your TV does NTSC even though that shouldn't be necessary with an HDMI connection.
The US has abandoned NTSC as of June 2009, no?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The US has abandoned NTSC as of June 2009, no?
IIRC only for over the air because of the digital changeover. If your cable box is feeding an analog signal to your TV that should still be NTSC, otherwise you couldn't use any older analog-only TVs anymore.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

kerednai is an unknown quantity at this point

As mentioned, if it's not a multi-voltage TV you'll need to get a step-up transformer and you want to make sure that it's well overspecced because the ratings can be a little on the iffy side any you really want to make sure it's got enough headroom. For example, the spec on the step-up transformer I use on one of my amplifiers is supposedly able to deal with about 2.5 times the load that the amp puts on it. It doesn't even the warm, let alone hot.

Thanks for all your replies. TimNiceBut - can you recommend a particular make / model of transformer. My TV is rated at 220-240v with an output of 200 watts.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I were you I'd have a look on Amazon, that's where I got mine.

I've got this model: http://www.amazon.com/LiteFuze-LT-50...ef=pd_ys_iyr37

Works OK for me so far, but I don't think the amp I plugged in draws more than 100W.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

kerednai is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were you I'd have a look on Amazon, that's where I got mine.

I've got this model: http://www.amazon.com/LiteFuze-LT-50...ef=pd_ys_iyr37

Works OK for me so far, but I don't think the amp I plugged in draws more than 100W.
Thanks.. I was looking at that model on Amazon a few months back so its good to know someone is happy with it :-)
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

What's the model # of the TV?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerednai
Thanks.. I was looking at that model on Amazon a few months back so its good to know someone is happy with it :-)
If you are determined to bring the TV and use a transformer I would strongly recommend getting one that is rated for at least twice the maximum power that the TV (and any other equipment that will be connected to it) will consume.