Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice would be greatly received!

Advice would be greatly received!

Old Jun 28th 2016, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice would be greatly received!

If I remember correctly when you sponsor someone you need to show your assets like bank accounts etc. There is nothing there about providing a proof that someone has a job.

This case seems to be not complicated, however you may consult some immigration lawyer before starting whole process.

Looking for teacher job is little bit more complicated. Public schools are regulated by a local government. I would suggest looking for job postings online and see what are job requirements. In most cases they may require having college degree but life experience also counts. They would prefer that candidate has US degree.

Other option are private schools and they may be less strict.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
If I remember correctly when you sponsor someone you need to show your assets like bank accounts etc. There is nothing there about providing a proof that someone has a job. .....
That is partially correct, see #13, above. ..... There are three routes: assets, income, and joint sponsor. Elements of each can be mixed and matched e.g. some savings to compensate for too little income.
.... This case seems to be not complicated, however you may consult some immigration lawyer before starting whole process. ....
A lawyer isn't going to tell you anything you can't find on line, and discuss here on BE, but they will relieve you of a tidy chunk of change.

Unless you have difficulty understanding the paperwork (they are in plain English and quite straightforward) or have complicating factors such as a criminal record, previous visa/overstay issues, or a drug habit, I wouldn't recommend using a lawyer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2016 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 3:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for teacher job is little bit more complicated. Public schools are regulated by a local government. I would suggest looking for job postings online and see what are job requirements. In most cases they may require having college degree but life experience also counts. They would prefer that candidate has US degree.

Other option are private schools and they may be less strict.

No-one is going to hire a teacher who doesn't have a degree!
Old Jun 28th 2016, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You would be surprised

Last edited by talkto_menow; Jun 28th 2016 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

I know this forum is mostly for British expats and as somebody who was born in Poland, I was interested in finding British opinions about current events in UK. As I said before I live in US for quiet long time. Some of you planning to relocate to United States and I figured that you may be interested in opinions from somebody who actually did it.

For about 9 years I was out of immigration status, working different jobs and putting myself through college. That took some time, but I have fairly successful life and family.

United States is diverse and very big country (size wise). So what may apply in NY is not necessarily true in a another state. Generalizations do not work.

Before I came to US I had university degree from my home country. Similarly, countless of immigrants have their degrees too from wherever they came from. Does it help? Not so much. It helps when you plan to attend college and some credits can be applied towards your future degree. Otherwise there is not much benefit in it.

Friend of mine, had a business degree from Philippines and he continued his education here in US. It was a graduate program. After he finished it, he moved to Washington DC and according to him he had a hard time finding a job. Only after he moved again, this time to New York, he was able to find some position.

From my own experience, I never had any problems finding a job and it’s mostly because I have US undergraduate degree. It simply makes difference.

Another friend of my mine was a math teacher in Cuba. I do not think he was interested in continuing working as a teacher here in US. However, I had a roommate and she was a math teacher in Poland. She did not attend college in US, but she started out as substitute teacher in public school. Clearly her university degree from Poland was not a deciding factor. In normal situation it would not be even considered as a valid degree. I know she still works as a teacher. Most likely she had to continue her education to complete job requirements.

In UK you have similar situation. Some immigrants that live there have university degrees and yet they are doing various jobs below their qualifications.

Moving to another country and starting a new life is big task. Doing it at late 40’s or even 50’s seems like a impossible challenge. But I know people that actually did it and they had no money savings when they came. Some of them even bought a house later.

You have to adjust your way of thinking. Not everything may workout the way you want it and sometimes your plans would have to be adjusted too.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How were you able to work legally in the USA if you had no immigration status for 9 years?

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And what immigration status do you currently have?
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How were you able to work legally in the USA if you had no immigration status for 9 years?

Rene

Where there's a will there's a way.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

OP said she had a BEd, that is a bachelor degree.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 1:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
OP said she had a BEd, that is a bachelor degree.

If you look back, you will see that I was responding to another poster, not the OP -- someone who said that a degree is not necessary in order to get a teaching job!
Old Jun 29th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

If you look back, you will see that I was responding to another poster, not the OP -- someone who said that a degree is not necessary in order to get a teaching job!

I know. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were in the wrong. I'm not sure why not having a degree was even mentioned by them anyway.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

I really do not want to hijack this thread and tell my personal story.

College degree is tricky thing. When you get to US you are competing with thousand if not millions of legal and illegal immigrants that have their formal education outside of United States. They have Bachelor degrees or Master degrees, but these credentials do not translate to this market. Some employers may say, it’s OK that you have degree from your country but show me what you can do and I will think about it. Some public institutions will be more demanding and say that your degree from UK does not even count. They may hire you as a temp and they will require to get your education up to a standard. This is unpredictable.

I worked with people from different walks of life. They were illegal immigrants form countries like England, Ireland, France, Greece, Russia, Poland, Korea, Japan. This is probably surprising to some of you, but at least half of illegal immigration population never crossed Mexican border.

Not that I would recommend to anyone becoming illegal immigrant. The laws have changed. Changing your immigration status right now is almost impossible.

I never planned to come to US, nor I planned on staying here. Things just worked out this way.

One of my first jobs were janitor, lawn mower operator, messenger. I went to college and paid for education from my own pocket. I paid taxes like everybody else. Yes you are required to pay taxes even if you are illegal. I came a long way. Right now I’m financial analyst and I’m US citizen too.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not want to hijack this thread and tell my personal story.
... and yet you did. ...

Rene
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... and yet you did. .....
Twice.

And apparently only to attempt to divert attention from the fact that they became an illegal immigrant.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

... and yet you did. ...

Rene

It's you who asked me question first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.