Reload this Page >

Advice on U.S Citizenship process

Advice on U.S Citizenship process

Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:44 am
Just Joined

MrSBurns is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Advice on U.S Citizenship process

Hello all,
Thank you in advance for any advice you might offer. I frequent these boards quite often and it is always helpful to see posts from fellow ex-pats!

I am a British Citizen who came to the U.S in 1995 with my family (military.) In 2000 my father retired and started the green card process through his new employer. Before completion my parents divorced and he went back to the U.K. I was already engaged to a U.S citizen by that time so it wasn't an issue.

I gained my green card through marriage in 2005 under 'conditional status' due to the length of my marriage at that time. I was required to file an I-751 before Aug 2007- which I did.

My I-751 was filed in June '07. I was fingerprinted July'07. I then heard nothing for the next year. In Sept 2008 I was eligible to, and did, file the N-400 for U.S citizenship. Dec'08 I was fingerprinted in Dover, DE and Interviewed Mar'09 in the Philadelphia office.

Ok, so that was the back story- now onto the hazy area...

At the interview the agent discovered that I had never been interviewed or approved for my 751. They brought my wife in and conducted the 751 interview on the spot (repeat of the green card interview- I.E proving we are really married and in love etc.) After finishing the 751 interview I completed both tests for the N-400 and then answered citizenship interview related questions with no issues.

At the end of all of this the agent informed me that she would have to get hold of my 751 file (probably in Vermont) to approve that before they could approve my citizenship. She said it would be taken care of by the end of the week.

I have still not heard anything at all other than the Vermont office informing me of the file transfer about a month ago. I have tried calling the agent but she is impossible to reach and will not return calls.

Next week I will hit the 120 days (after interview) mark that the USCIS is supposedly required by law to rule on my case by. I understand that I can file a 'Writ of Mamandus' to essentially force the USCIS to do their jobs and make a decision. One that should be easy as my background is clean as a whistle, I have lived here for 14 years, I'm a volunteer EMT and Firefighter, I have 2 U.S children with my U.S wife that I own a house with!!!!

I don't want to seem impatient nor anger the very agency that holds my status in their hands. All of that is asides from the fact that filing such a writ in a U.S district court would likely require the employment of a lawyer to assist in my case. That is $$$$$ I can scarce afford.

I am willing to wait an additional month or two over the 120 days, but after that I will need to take some kind of action. I have no new green card proving my employment or right to travel and I plan to go back to the U.K for Xmas.

Last time I traveled I had an extremely difficult time getting through immigration, and that was with my green card extension letter in hand stating that I was a legitimate permanent resident fit for work and travel. That extension letter was only for 1 year and here I am another year later.

What I am really asking for is any advice on how to proceed, if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how it was handled.

Thank you everyone for reading my very long rant!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on U.S Citizenship process

Originally Posted by MrSBurns
What I am really asking for is any advice on how to proceed, if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how it was handled.

Thank you everyone for reading my very long rant!!!!
Make an Infopass appointment to go in person and inquire about your case, at your local office. Bring your passport, and while you are there, ask for a temp I-551 stamp to be put in your passport to tide you over showing your PR status, until a decision is made on your N-400.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:09 am
Just Joined

MrSBurns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on U.S Citizenship process

Thank you Noorah!

I was un-aware of the 551 stamp! That should take care of any issues I might have getting back home. I bet $20 I get my citizenship the very week after I go to the office!