Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for tipping at a hair salon needed

Advice for tipping at a hair salon needed

Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice for tipping at a hair salon needed

I have finally made an appointment to get my hair done at a salon here. I was getting sick of using hair dye in a box and wanted a change so I made an appointment. One thing I am not sure about is tips. Do you tip everyone? If one person colors, another person shampoos and another person cuts do you tip them all with cash as you go or can you add it all on at the end? My appointment is next Wednesday, St Patricks Day. Although I am not dying my hair green! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for tipping at a hair salon needed

Sounds like a posh salon if they're wheeling you from person to person...

but you'll only pay one bill, so add the tip to that and let the salon divvy it up later.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I like that idea. I honestly have no idea if the same person will do everything (I hope so as that will make it easier!) but at the place I went to in the UK, 3 people were involved when I went to get my hair done.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:43 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I like that idea. I honestly have no idea if the same person will do everything (I hope so as that will make it easier!) but at the place I went to in the UK, 3 people were involved when I went to get my hair done.
How much hair do you have ?

Personally I just tip at the end, but I am sure I totally undertip - but hey ho! they have exacted revenge yet!!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been going to the same salon with the same stylist for years. She does all the work herself, and I give her a 10% tip at the end, I just add it onto the check I write for the total.

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK. I hope that I will only have one person doing my hair. In the past one of the trainees has shampoo'd my hair after someone colored it and a more senior person cut it. I only ever tipped at the end and nothing was ever said but I wanted to check what is the norm here. I would hate to make an idiot of myself. I do that too often and wouldn't want to add another place to the list! I managed to forget how many stamps I wanted when I was at the Post Office this morning!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I hope that I will only have one person doing my hair. In the past one of the trainees has shampoo'd my hair after someone colored it and a more senior person cut it. I only ever tipped at the end and nothing was ever said but I wanted to check what is the norm here. I would hate to make an idiot of myself. I do that too often and wouldn't want to add another place to the list! I managed to forget how many stamps I wanted when I was at the Post Office this morning!
Don't worry I constantly make an idiot of myself, when I go places I start gabbling away about cr*p and boring the pants off of everyone and they are all looking at me and thinking "someone shut the crazy AUSTRALIAN lady up" ha ha!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:43 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I tip at the end - my cut costs $50 and I tip $10, I put it all on my card and they will give me back the 10 that i stick in a little envelope and it goes in the tip drawer for my man.

This time I Went someone different washed my hair because the hairdresser was so busy but i didnt tip her extra, i forgot actually!! But usually the same person does the washing and cutting!!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I think the tip is usually around 15-20% of the total bill.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

HannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really nice

I have finally made an appointment to get my hair done at a salon here. I was getting sick of using hair dye in a box and wanted a change so I made an appointment. One thing I am not sure about is tips. Do you tip everyone? If one person colors, another person shampoos and another person cuts do you tip them all with cash as you go or can you add it all on at the end? My appointment is next Wednesday, St Patricks Day. Although I am not dying my hair green! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Usually when you pay the bill, you add the tip on to the check or charge. They may give the cash back to put in an envelope or may keep it behind the counter. Your can tell how much you want to leave for each person. If you just leave a lump sum, I'm sure they will figure it out. I live in a city, and standard tip on all hair services is 10-20%. I think 10% is considered quite low though.

I have seen people give cash directly to the haircutter or colorist, but it seems that is more common in small salons with only one room/few cutters.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I think the tip is usually around 15-20% of the total bill.
Originally Posted by wgw55
I live in a city, and standard tip on all hair services is 10-20%. I think 10% is considered quite low though.
Oops. I better up my tips.

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-24-.../dp/B00006K116
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:36 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I gave 20% for my first decent hair cut here as she did a total re-style and I was really pleased. Now that it is just a regular trim I give 15%. I just ask them to add it on to my bill at the end.

My hairdressers is great you lie in a massage chair and get a blankie instead of a nylon sheet wrapped round your neck when you get you hair washed .

I did go to a Toni & Guy when I first arrived and was given one of the envelopes to put the tip in.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

PennyBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'd better up my tips, too! Thanks for this topic
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I pay $15 and $3 tip

BUT I did go to a Paul Mitchell training school last year and gave, I think $15 tip...god knows why it did not look any different lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.