Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Wikiposts

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Firstly, sites like this are a Godsend for expats like us. Until you have experienced the emotional rollercoaster of moving to another country and giving up everything you are used to, you have no way of understanding what it is like. ...
I just wanted to say that your post summed up in a nutshell why this site is so important to expats like us.

But we really should ignore twerps/trolls like Fig - that guy needs to get a life...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you do live in California as you profess, you were up at 4am typing this? And you accuse others of having miserable lives? Well, I for one am not so miserable that I have to get up in the middle of the night in order to attack others for being negative.
Extremely well said... by my bouncy friend....R
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:17 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
They do, actually its an American company:

http://www.safeway.com/Employment/Em...OurCompany.asp
oh dear I may have to go for a lie down I'm getting all confused...I've forgotton what is British and what is American....it's become all one big blur for me.............
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:20 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Mine reads: Support our terrorists, not theirs.

Would I be safe?

Tried to send u Karma for that little gem

But it wouldnt let me

Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Mine reads: Support our terrorists, not theirs.

Would I be safe?
I'd have to fit bull bars to the front of the Ram just for that.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:36 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Am curious why people start to post such pointless and unsolicited advise for us lesser mortals . What can i look forward to next? Advice on self examining my prostate? Fitting Nitrous to my Chevy Cavalier?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:37 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

If you do live in California as you profess, you were up at 4am typing this? And you accuse others of having miserable lives? Well, I for one am not so miserable that I have to get up in the middle of the night in order to attack others for being negative.

You claim that your posts have been positive. Well, newsflash here - they weren't. They were just negative in a different way.

I'm not going to enter into a battle of words with you, I'm just going to point out one or two things. Take them as you will.

Firstly, sites like this are a Godsend for expats like us. Until you have experienced the emotional rollercoaster of moving to another country and giving up everything you are used to, you have no way of understanding what it is like. Your stint in Germany does not compare, because you were working for America, with Americans, albeit in a different setting. You may believe that you experienced the culture - in fact, I'm sure you did, but while you were doing so, you had the fallback of all your compatriots experiencing it right along with you. You could hear an American accent whenever you wished, chat about TV programmes or food or whatever it was that you were missing whenever you wanted to. Most of us do not have that luxury. We are assimilating into a new culture and there are some things we need to get used to. We don't have the liberty of being able to whinge about them with dozens of other Brits during the day, so we do it on this forum.

If, as an American citizen, you are hurt and upset by the things we choose to complain about, it begs the question - what on Earth are you doing frequenting a board like this? What exactly is your link to British Expats? Or is it some masochistic desire to get yourself all riled up and hot under the collar? I do think that, for the good of your blood pressure, you need to steer clear of these forums. You are not British. You are not an Expat. Why are you here? Not that you don't have the right to be, but it doesn't seem to be doing you an awful lot of good.

You want us to be more accepting of a different culture (i.e. yours) and yet you are not being accepting of our culture. You chose to come to a British Expats site (which should, by definition, be full of Brits) and argue with us about something which is very much part of our cultural identity - whinging. You don't think we should be doing it. And yet at the same time you complain that we are not accepting the American culture. You can't have things both ways. To us, this site is like a little corner of Britain. I don't go and stand in the middle of Safeway and shout "Jesus christ! You can't even buy ground almonds in this shit hole! What the hell is this country coming to?!" - I save my whinging for the forum. What you are doing is basically coming into the UK and telling us to stop being British. It isn't going to happen.

I don't expect the USA to be just like the UK; after all diversity is a wonderful thing, so I integrate as best I can while I'm out in the real world. I do, however, get homesick every now and then. When I do, it's nice to be able to share some of the things which are getting me down with other people who have gone through or are going through the same thing. The important thing for you to note is that this doesn't mean we hate your country. You're right - we chose to come and live here. It just means that it's not our home and there are some things we miss which we can't get or are different over here.

If you insist that everyone who comes on here has to be positive and upbeat about America, you are removing one of the outlets that we have for frustration and homesickness. To be quite frank, this site is to help British expats settle in and stay sane. It is not intended to make American citizens feel proud of themselves and their country.

Love the post........
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:41 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by CarlM
Am curious why people start to post such pointless and unsolicited advise for us lesser mortals . What can i look forward to next? Advice on self examining my prostate? Fitting Nitrous to my Chevy Cavalier?

And your point is ??????????

Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:04 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
And your point is ??????????
Err.. pretty much what i just said!!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:23 am
Perfumdiva1

Err.. pretty much what i just said!!

Luvvly

Just confirming it...

Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:44 am
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Luvvly

Just confirming it...

Happy to clarify!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Rubber glove and some KY Gel, remember your feeling for nodules
Don't forget to lower the compression ratio, otherwise it will blow
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:51 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

This was one of the first posts I read in the US section - quality entertainment!!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Besides, Safeway is crap anyway and way over priced for their stuff!
least you've got one
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
This was one of the first posts I read in the US section - quality entertainment!!
Bloody immigrants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.