Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Fig and I have one thing in common.... we both talk complete bollocks
Awww Gruff, no you don't, yours is utter nonsense.

Stop, don't even go there.....I know what you're thinking, no rebuttal is needed!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:18 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Awww Gruff, no you don't, yours is utter nonsense.

Stop, don't even go there.....I know what you're thinking, no rebuttal is needed!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

The hallmark of a troll. Bet you never hear from it again.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
135 (ish) posts on day of joining????
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:39 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Fig and I have one thing in common.... we both talk complete bollocks
Yeah.....but your complete bollocks are not as rude mean and nasty as his.......

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:42 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
The hallmark of a troll. Bet you never hear from it again.
I can't bring myself to even read his posts anymore......100% troll......I put him on ignore last night.....and there he'll stay......
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.

My first piece of advice would have to be to avoid threads such as those I referenced above. People that engage in these kind of threads are usually miserable, negative, and simply anti-American. Those kind of people can cast a dark cloud even in a tornado. Don't mistake their supposed humor and good nature for joining their clique as good will. Misery loves company with these kind of people. If you are looking for something positive to help with your move and what you should expect then these are the last kind of people you should talk to.

Respect the culture of the country you have chosen to live in. It is foolish and disrespectful to expect things to be the same as where you came from and beyond crazy to expect it to change just to make you more comfortable. It isn't going to happen so you may as well accept that fact. Dwelling on negative differences and things you are not used to or do not have any desire to accept is only going to make your stay miserable. It will certainly affect your attitude in at least subtle ways that will be projected to those around. People will notice.

Americans don't like people that constantly complain. A complaint here and there and a dissenting voice tends to only be tolerated by people that do something about their misery. Even then eventually people will simply tell you to quit whining, to just shut up, and get on with it. At that point don't be surprised if they simply avoid you, even more so since your are a newly arrived immigrant.

Lose the sarcasm that is common in the UK. It is not going to go over well outside of a comedy routine or show or movie, especially with Americans you don't even know. Sarcasm in every day American life is considered rude and not funny.

Avoid spending too much time in these kinds of forums as they often interfere with assimilating into a new culture. Keeping one foot in the UK is not going to help you be happy in a new country, especially if you plan on staying.

Accept the political and social differences of America in comparison to Europe. Even many of our Democrats are more to the right than you would think. Avoid the depressing and futile political mine field in the already difficult process of assimilating into a new culture. You may disagree with gun culture in America but the country has had such a gun culture since even before the country was formed, and even much more so. Don't expect such things to change in your lifetime, if ever, and nor should you expect it to.

It is foolish to judge a country many times bigger than your own on the one place you have chosen to live in. Every part of a country, its states, and its cities have their less desrable areas and their own character.

Get out and travel the country as often as you can and talk to people. Most Americans are easily approachable and like to converse so it isn't rude to simply start up conversations with strangers as many in Europe think. Being too reserved is a prescription for loneliness and few friends.

Finally, keep a positive attitude. Life is tough enough without what should be your best cheerleader, yourself, bringing you down. Make the best of whatever situation you decided to get yourself into or the ones that life hands you. Conditioning yourself to be miserable in what you percieve to be difficult situations, like any other habit, can be with you for the rest of your life, and is as destructive as they come.

Many will respond to this thread, assuming the thread still exists, in a very negative way but they will only prove what they really are, as they did in the referenced thread and others within this forum. Read that thread and see for yourself the kind of vileness that you can expect from such people when someone disagrees with them.

To those that are not anti-American, hostile, and look forward to their stay in America, I say welcome to America and good luck. To all the others happiness is just a plane ride away. Let me know if you need help with the tickets.
Fig I have little interest in what you have to say, I can't be bothered to argue with you and anyway I love living in America , I like Americans and I like coming on Expats to have a winge and moan when things get too much - I'm also scared you're gonna find me and beat me up now but getting up at 3.56am to post this is dedication beyond the call of duty .......do you want a job ?

Last edited by Eskimo; Aug 1st 2005 at 4:00 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:07 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Who the hell needs this blokes advice anyways? He got a Ph.d in 'knowing what you need to know'?!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:20 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid spending too much time in these kinds of forums
Gee thanks, straight after I 've wasted an hour reading all of your crap.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.
I didn't actually censor anything, I just closed it because I know it would only get more out of hand with your stunning views of the ex-pat population and I wasn't going to be around in the morning....hmmm....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:40 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Well I kinda agree with some of Fig Newtons opening points...I've found myself on the defensive a few times...you Brits really are a whiney bunch ....but all in all the lesson here is it's just how IMHERE said , we're just having a whinge with others who can understand and sympathise.....don't take it so personal

Plenty of us on here have wonderful American friends, have American spouses and are raising dual citizens... well in my case my kids are definitly more American than Brit......not your run of the mill "typical" American though....dontyaknow
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:44 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Well I kinda agree with some of Fig Newtons opening points...I've found myself on the defensive a few times...you Brits really are a whiney bunch ....but all in all the lesson here is it's just how IMHERE said , we're just having a whinge with others who can understand and sympathise.....don't take it so personal

Plenty of us on here have wonderful American friends, have American spouses and are raising dual citizens... well in my case my kids are definitly more American than Brit......not your run of the mill "typical" American though....dontyaknow

Celtic Angel

Didnt guess u were American...

PD1

Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:00 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Celtic Angel

Didnt guess u were American...

PD1
I may just get off me arse and go for my citizenship pretty soon

I've been here nearly a decade , the stuff that many on here whine about is stuff that bothered me years ago....you've got to let it go and move on or like Fig said you're stay is miserable...if you can't beat em join em I say !

now how i'll be feeling tomorrow may be entirely different
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Respect the culture of the country you have chosen to live in. It is foolish and disrespectful to expect things to be the same as where you came from and beyond crazy to expect it to change just to make you more comfortable. .

And they say the Yanks don't do irony !

Given every corner of the world HAS to have a McDonalds & a coke machine how can you spout that crap ? The US has culturally raped the world.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
The US has culturally raped the world.
Not without permission.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:43 pm
Perfumdiva1

Wink Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
And they say the Yanks don't do irony !

Given every corner of the world HAS to have a McDonalds & a coke machine how can you spout that crap ? The US has culturally raped the world.

Oh yeah, the irony they do is great

99c for a shirt washed and ironyed and no starch

Value for money for sure

Also, Bangkok had no McDonald and Pizza Hut 17 years ago now they are over-run with them, sad sad sad

PD1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.