Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:56 am
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.

My first piece of advice would have to be to avoid threads such as those I referenced above. People that engage in these kind of threads are usually miserable, negative, and simply anti-American. Those kind of people can cast a dark cloud even in a tornado. Don't mistake their supposed humor and good nature for joining their clique as good will. Misery loves company with these kind of people. If you are looking for something positive to help with your move and what you should expect then these are the last kind of people you should talk to.

Respect the culture of the country you have chosen to live in. It is foolish and disrespectful to expect things to be the same as where you came from and beyond crazy to expect it to change just to make you more comfortable. It isn't going to happen so you may as well accept that fact. Dwelling on negative differences and things you are not used to or do not have any desire to accept is only going to make your stay miserable. It will certainly affect your attitude in at least subtle ways that will be projected to those around. People will notice.

Americans don't like people that constantly complain. A complaint here and there and a dissenting voice tends to only be tolerated by people that do something about their misery. Even then eventually people will simply tell you to quit whining, to just shut up, and get on with it. At that point don't be surprised if they simply avoid you, even more so since your are a newly arrived immigrant.

Lose the sarcasm that is common in the UK. It is not going to go over well outside of a comedy routine or show or movie, especially with Americans you don't even know. Sarcasm in every day American life is considered rude and not funny.

Avoid spending too much time in these kinds of forums as they often interfere with assimilating into a new culture. Keeping one foot in the UK is not going to help you be happy in a new country, especially if you plan on staying.

Accept the political and social differences of America in comparison to Europe. Even many of our Democrats are more to the right than you would think. Avoid the depressing and futile political mine field in the already difficult process of assimilating into a new culture. You may disagree with gun culture in America but the country has had such a gun culture since even before the country was formed, and even much more so. Don't expect such things to change in your lifetime, if ever, and nor should you expect it to.

It is foolish to judge a country many times bigger than your own on the one place you have chosen to live in. Every part of a country, its states, and its cities have their less desrable areas and their own character.

Get out and travel the country as often as you can and talk to people. Most Americans are easily approachable and like to converse so it isn't rude to simply start up conversations with strangers as many in Europe think. Being too reserved is a prescription for loneliness and few friends.

Finally, keep a positive attitude. Life is tough enough without what should be your best cheerleader, yourself, bringing you down. Make the best of whatever situation you decided to get yourself into or the ones that life hands you. Conditioning yourself to be miserable in what you percieve to be difficult situations, like any other habit, can be with you for the rest of your life, and is as destructive as they come.

Many will respond to this thread, assuming the thread still exists, in a very negative way but they will only prove what they really are, as they did in the referenced thread and others within this forum. Read that thread and see for yourself the kind of vileness that you can expect from such people when someone disagrees with them.

To those that are not anti-American, hostile, and look forward to their stay in America, I say welcome to America and good luck. To all the others happiness is just a plane ride away. Let me know if you need help with the tickets.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:45 am
  #2  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,913
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.

My first piece of advice would have to be to avoid threads such as those I referenced above. People that engage in these kind of threads are usually miserable, negative, and simply anti-American. Those kind of people can cast a dark cloud even in a tornado. Don't mistake their supposed humor and good nature for joining their clique as good will. Misery loves company with these kind of people. If you are looking for something positive to help with your move and what you should expect then these are the last kind of people you should talk to.

Respect the culture of the country you have chosen to live in. It is foolish and disrespectful to expect things to be the same as where you came from and beyond crazy to expect it to change just to make you more comfortable. It isn't going to happen so you may as well accept that fact. Dwelling on negative differences and things you are not used to or do not have any desire to accept is only going to make your stay miserable. It will certainly affect your attitude in at least subtle ways that will be projected to those around. People will notice.

Americans don't like people that constantly complain. A complaint here and there and a dissenting voice tends to only be tolerated by people that do something about their misery. Even then eventually people will simply tell you to quit whining, to just shut up, and get on with it. At that point don't be surprised if they simply avoid you, even more so since your are a newly arrived immigrant.

Lose the sarcasm that is common in the UK. It is not going to go over well outside of a comedy routine or show or movie, especially with Americans you don't even know. Sarcasm in every day American life is considered rude and not funny.

Avoid spending too much time in these kinds of forums as they often interfere with assimilating into a new culture. Keeping one foot in the UK is not going to help you be happy in a new country, especially if you plan on staying.

Accept the political and social differences of America in comparison to Europe. Even many of our Democrats are more to the right than you would think. Avoid the depressing and futile political mine field in the already difficult process of assimilating into a new culture. You may disagree with gun culture in America but the country has had such a gun culture since even before the country was formed, and even much more so. Don't expect such things to change in your lifetime, if ever, and nor should you expect it to.

It is foolish to judge a country many times bigger than your own on the one place you have chosen to live in. Every part of a country, its states, and its cities have their less desrable areas and their own character.

Get out and travel the country as often as you can and talk to people. Most Americans are easily approachable and like to converse so it isn't rude to simply start up conversations with strangers as many in Europe think. Being too reserved is a prescription for loneliness and few friends.

Finally, keep a positive attitude. Life is tough enough without what should be your best cheerleader, yourself, bringing you down. Make the best of whatever situation you decided to get yourself into or the ones that life hands you. Conditioning yourself to be miserable in what you percieve to be difficult situations, like any other habit, can be with you for the rest of your life, and is as destructive as they come.

Many will respond to this thread, assuming the thread still exists, in a very negative way but they will only prove what they really are, as they did in the referenced thread and others within this forum. Read that thread and see for yourself the kind of vileness that you can expect from such people when someone disagrees with them.

To those that are not anti-American, hostile, and look forward to their stay in America, I say welcome to America and good luck. To all the others happiness is just a plane ride away. Let me know if you need help with the tickets.

Persistent bugger, aren't you.

No one here is anti-american or hostile, or even especially vile. We're just a normal slice of humanity having a conversation - with a sense of irony and a sense of humour, toward others and toward ourselves, two crucial British traits. Study them.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:02 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Well let's hope this is Fignewtons last post It would appear he dose not like us!!! I for one will not miss his attitude. I'll say it againe I love B.E love the people on here So please go away silly little man.
britvic is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:24 pm
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Persistent bugger, aren't you.

No one here is anti-american or hostile, or even especially vile. We're just a normal slice of humanity having a conversation - with a sense of irony and a sense of humour, toward others and toward ourselves, two crucial British traits. Study them.
I don't have to study them as you are now in my country, I am not in yours. You need to study the traits of those you chose to surround yourself with.

A significant portion of those that post in critical threads ARE simply anti-American and most certainly hostile and vile; you included. People can read the other thread and see for themselves.

And what you call irony is simply sarcasm and what you call humor is simply rudeness.


Grow up and learn some manners while you are at it.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:26 pm
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by britvic
Well let's hope this is Fignewtons last post It would appear he dose not like us!!! I for one will not miss his attitude. I'll say it againe I love B.E love the people on here So please go away silly little man.
You mean the attitude that gives positive advice for those who choose to come live in America or the attitude that points out people's obvious rudeness and anti-Americanism?
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:29 pm
  #6  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Well done FigNewton. Bravo sir, bravo.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

To those of you who made it all the way through Fig's little post here, I would strongly encourage you to read the thread he's talking about and make up your own mind.

What I saw in that thread was the behavior of an American who would embarrass, outrage and disgust most Americans I know.

The behavior of an American who confuses Patriotism with towing the political party line.

The behavior of an American who believes that it is anti-American to voice ones concerns and disagreements and annoyances, however petty, with the country we live in.

The behavior and attitudes of an American who is convinced that he has the right to tell immigrants how to behave simply because of his innate superiority born of not being an immigrant himself.

There's a name for that kind of attitude.

So please read the thread if you can bring yourself to wade through it. Then make up your own mind.

Last edited by dbj1000; Aug 1st 2005 at 12:31 pm.
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:30 pm
  #7  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,913
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
I don't have to study them as you are now in my country, I am not in yours. You need to study the traits of those you chose to surround yourself with.

A significant portion of those that post in critical threads ARE simply anti-American and most certainly hostile and vile; you included. People can read the other thread and see for themselves.

And what you call irony is simply sarcasm and what you call humor is simply rudeness.


Grow up and learn some manners while you are at it.

Thought it was going to be your last post. No?
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:31 pm
  #8  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,913
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Well done FigNewton. Bravo sir, bravo.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

To those of you who made it all the way through Fig's little post here, I would strongly encourage you to read the thread he's talking about and make up your own mind.

What I saw in that thread was the behavior of an American who would embarrass, outrage and disgust most Americans I know. The behavior of an American who confuses Patriotism with towing the political party line, and Anti-Americanism with voicing ones concerns and disagreements with the status quo. The behavior and attitudes of an American who is convinced that he has the right to tell immigrants how to behave simply because of his innate superiority born of not being an immigrant himself. There's a name for that kind of attitude.

So please read the thread if you can bring yourself to wade through it. Then make up your own mind.

Nicely said.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:33 pm
  #9  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
I don't have to study them as you are now in my country, I am not in yours. You need to study the traits of those you chose to surround yourself with.

A significant portion of those that post in critical threads ARE simply anti-American and most certainly hostile and vile; you included. People can read the other thread and see for themselves.

And what you call irony is simply sarcasm and what you call humor is simply rudeness.


Grow up and learn some manners while you are at it.
Oh Fig, give it a break eh son? You've made quite enough of an arse of yourself already. Don't start yesterday's thread all over again - it'll only end in you challenging people to fist-fights again, and that's got to be embarrassing!
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:37 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
I don't have to study them as you are now in my country, I am not in yours. You need to study the traits of those you chose to surround yourself with.

A significant portion of those that post in critical threads ARE simply anti-American and most certainly hostile and vile; you included. People can read the other thread and see for themselves.

And what you call irony is simply sarcasm and what you call humor is simply rudeness.


Grow up and learn some manners while you are at it.
And his at it againe!!! This is a" BRITISH" Expats sigt and there are a few Americans on here who do understand us Brit's sometimes without being as RUDE as you. Manners well that's a largh!!! Sorry to some of our American friends on here.
britvic is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:40 pm
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Well done FigNewton. Bravo sir, bravo.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

To those of you who made it all the way through Fig's little post here, I would strongly encourage you to read the thread he's talking about and make up your own mind.
Sorry, already beat you to the recommendation. Anyone with an elemenatry level of critical thinking skills will be able to see what is wrong with that thread.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What I saw in that thread was the behavior of an American who would embarrass, outrage and disgust most Americans I know.
You must have some very disturbing Americans as friends then.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The behavior of an American who confuses Patriotism with towing the political party line.
Oh really? Never once have I even mentioned patriotism as having anything to do with politics. On the contray, I clearly said otherwise within that thread. You are welcome to quote me wherever you feel I have deviated. Good luck.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The behavior of an American who believes that it is anti-American to voice ones concerns and disagreements and annoyances, however petty, with the country we live in.
Choose what you wish to believe but those who really wish to know the truth will simply read the thread.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The behavior and attitudes of an American who is convinced that he has the right to tell immigrants how to behave simply because of his innate superiority born of not being an immigrant himself.
Same as above.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There's a name for that kind of attitude.
What's stopping you from saying it? I've already been called quite a few names already. Join in with your friends.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
So please read the thread if you can bring yourself to wade through it. Then make up your own mind.
Yes, please do.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:40 pm
  #12  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Thought it was going to be your last post. No?
I changed my mind just for you.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:41 pm
  #13  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Nicely said.
And makes abosultely no sense to what was said in the other thread.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:45 pm
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh Fig, give it a break eh son? You've made quite enough of an arse of yourself already. Don't start yesterday's thread all over again - it'll only end in you challenging people to fist-fights again, and that's got to be embarrassing!
No, you people are the ones doing a fine job of that.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:46 pm
  #15  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

By the way, Fig, my family and I do need some help with our tickets home, so I would like to take you up on your kind offer.

So put your money where your mouth is and help send one more family of vile immigrants back home where they belong, eh?
dbj1000 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.