Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Another vote for "just do it". With the house rented and the mortgage taken care, no children you have little downside. Maybe take into account the age and health of your parents which can be a significant factor. In my opinion better to have given it a go than wonder "what if". The negativity here is not so bad but some doom laden posts on the "anyone regret moving to the USA" thread
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm sure Harare is gorgeous too. Some people even like Colwyn Bay.
So what´s wrong with Colwyn Bay?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
<whoosh> That was the sound of Tonrob's sarcasm going right over your head. ..."

As there are so many who do actually love Houston and think it´s gorgeoius, I had to assume that Tonrob was "one of those"
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:16 am
Just Joined

mcweaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive comments and advice!

Will definitely investigate further the health insurance being offered.

I don't think I'll got near the "anyone regret moving to the USA" thread again though! ;-)
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Brits don't like living anywhere.
That's brilliant.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I often recommend people read this other expat board. It's filled with complaints about what it is like to live in a new country, where people are unfriendly to newcomers, the jobs are not what they though they would be, the culture is foreign and confusing, and in the end folks have had their dreams smashed and long for a return home.

It's for Americans living in the UK.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

I recommend it not to bash the UK--far from it. I recommend it as it shows that some of the problems you will face as an expat, some of the biggest problems actually, will transcend the country you are from and the new country where you are currently living. Many of the problems you read about in the US are country-specific, like health care, but others such as separation from family and difficulty in making friends will apply no matter where you find yourself.

As for your original question--come now. This is probably the best time in your life to be an expat, just before kids, and you'll really get a chance to explore the entire US, not just that tiny corner you'll be living.

Good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:48 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I would go for it. I'm from NYC and live and work here. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another "go for it" post. We have lived here for the last 2 years, live in Connecticut, my OH works in New York and even though it's been a rollercoaster, I love every minute, and we have 3 kids!! If we had the opportunity before the kids came along, I would have jumped at it, and at the end of the day, if it doesn't work out or you don't like it, you go back to the UK. I always look at things in the "what if" which is why we took the plunge. This was a one off opportunity and we looked at it as another chapter of our life. If it worked, fine, if it didn't, there was no shame going home, although I'm sure the "I told you so" brigade would love that

So, I'd definitely say, take the advice from the above posts re your relocation package and health insurance, and go for it!!! Look at it as an adventure that a lot of people don't get the chance at. If you come over and don't have too high expectations and come with an open mind, I'm sure you'll love it. NYC is an awesome place, and we go through to the city at every opportunity. What have you got to lose............. good luck
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcweaver
Hi,

A quick introduction; my wife and I both in our mid-thirties, live and work in London, own a property in West London, no kids and no plans for them either.

The wife's work situation; her American employers have asked her if she'd like to transfer from the London office to the one in Manhattan. As part of the move we'd be offered a cash lump sum for relocation, an extra months salary, the same number of days holiday, salary realignment and flights.

My work situation; I've been working in for various investment banks for the last 12 years, the last 6 of which I've been contracting.

My wife will get an L-1 visa and I understand I can get an L-2 spouse visa and will be eligible to work within around 12 weeks, with the aim of contracting in Manhattan.

We initially thought the move was a bit of a no brainer, but after reading some of the threads on this forum and all the negativity about living in the USA I thought I'd ask for some advice/comments from people who've been through a similar move.

- what additional things should we be asking for from my wife's employers?
- thoughts on cost of living in Manhattan? We can rent our house out, which will more than cover the mortgage, but we realise we're going to have to trade our 3 bed house for a small 1 bed apartment.
- is living in the US really as bad as people say on this forum?! Some positivity would be nice! ;-)

We are under no illusions about living abroad and being away from friends and family, in our late twenties we did spend 18 months working in Oz, but feel that the travel time and cost to visit the UK from NY rather than from Oz will be much easier.

Anyway, enough waffling, if anyone has the time and inclination to respond to this then it would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Cheers,
Carl
A new graduate just moved into the cube next to me at my job in Phoenix. He just moved out of a 100, yes one hundred, square foot apartment in Midtown West, Manhattan. For which he paid the princely sum of $1350 per month. Staggering!

For comparison's sake, you can get a 15-yr mortgage on a 2300 sq. ft. home in Phoenix for that.

I moved to Phoenix 12 years and have not regretted it, but there was no repatriation clause so I was determined to settle in. If you have the "escape clause" it may influence your commitment - just a thought. I have visited Manhattan several times for work, and I do like it there - it's a cultural cornucopia. If you like different foods and the arts, I can't think of a better city to live in. Don't bother with a car if you plan on living in Manhattan, public trans is pretty good. Living off Manhattan - public trans would be a grind.

Americans are more friendly to foreigners than they're given credit for. NY is a bit like London in that the locals think you're a tourist, but once you meet a few people you will blend in.

I say go for it. Make sure you get good health coverage though. There's probably plenty of advice on that elsewhere in the forum.

I couldn't comment on buying property in Manhattan, but I endeavoured to but a house asap, and I think it helped my family settle in more quickly.

good luck
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Do it. Moving to the US is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to me, and I really liked where I lived in the UK before.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:31 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcweaver
the same number of days holiday,
This should be enough incentive to come.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, at some point down the road you're probably going to look back and say "I wonder what would have happened if......"

Now that cuts lots of ways......
- what if we'd gone to america, loved it and stayed
- what if we'd never gone to america and been bankrupted by health issues
- what if we'd stayed in our comfortable circle in London
etc etc,

Only you can say which of those is going to cause the most regret...

For me, regretting not trying the change would have been the hardest, hence best part of a decade in Asia, and another one here.

And despite the post above, this particular Brit has enjoyed life wherever we happen to have been living......
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

runbirduk will become famous soon enoughrunbirduk will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth I am in my 30's and moving to NYC in a couple of months! Although it's on a marriage visa so that decision was somewhat out of my hands, ha ha.

Depending on where you live in London and what life you lead you can find something similar in New York. It's not all centered in Manhattan.

My fiancee lives in Brooklyn and the difference between "fighting" the crowds on the streets of Manhattan and the sound of birds in the trees when you step out of the subway into Brooklyn is noticeable.

I'd never been to London prior to the three days I spent there for the medical/interview and although it was mainly during the day and in winter, I couldn't help notice how quiet it was compared to New York!!

P.S. I'm doing it with little savings and no job lined up but looking forward to a new life!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:57 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Adding my two penneth to say on the surface of things, it sure looks like you should go for it. With no kids to worry about, you're far more flexible to head back to the UK or off somewhere else if (big IF) the worse happens and you don't like it. From a social scene viewpoint and career opportunity then Manhattan is going to be great. As much as I have been in the MBTTUK forum many atimes moaning about how I want to go home (I live in Houston - so don't everyone start!) - I certainly don't regret the experience, or "hate" anything about the US.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

so what is the decision????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.