Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on studying a Masters in USA.

Advice on studying a Masters in USA.

Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

rrobinson321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on studying a Masters in USA.

I am stuck between studying masters here in Britain or the U.S and need advice from anyone with experience.

The only reason I would do it in the states is because I want to work and live there after but am worried about the risk of not getting an OPT (I have 3 months to look after graduating) as well as not obtaining a work permit afterwards, I have calculated I would save about £20,000 studying in the UK which is why I am posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on studying a Masters in USA.

What subject would your master's degree be in?

That will play a very large part in determining your chances of finding employment in the US at the end of it.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Data Science
Old Dec 31st 2017, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - I'm not sure how oversubscribed that field is.

What is your undergraduate degree and do you already have an idea of who (or, at least, what kind of company) your ideal employer would be?

If possible you should really try to start targeting specific employers as soon as you start your course.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Tuition in the States can be very expensive. Have you considered other European countries to pursue your goal? You may find it cheaper.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

As i said my only interest is working and living in the USA afterwards but fear i will not find an OPT and wanted advice from anyone with experience. I have no interest in going to the states only to study.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rrobinson321 View Post
As i said my only interest is working and living in the USA afterwards but fear i will not find an OPT and wanted advice from anyone with experience. I have no interest in going to the states only to study.
Sounds awfully risky for £20k.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:38 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't necessarily need a degree from a US institution to be able to apply for a work visa. Although "local" degrees might be more easily understood, a degree from a U.K. university would be acceptable for something like a H-1B.

Why the USA? Is there anyone here that is pulling you here? I'm just wondering if you have easier immigration options.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

For me the biggest difference would be that most (not all) US Master degrees take 2 years to complete compared with the UK 1 year period in most cases. As others say I would focus on the best quality degree for your chosen field and not the possibility of a visa from the degree. Good quality institution is imho more likely to lead to the type of opportunities you are hoping for.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
You don't necessarily need a degree from a US institution to be able to apply for a work visa. Although "local" degrees might be more easily understood, a degree from a U.K. university would be acceptable for something like a H-1B.

Why the USA? Is there anyone here that is pulling you here? I'm just wondering if you have easier immigration options.
A US masters degree has extra slots for a H-1B.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
You don't necessarily need a degree from a US institution to be able to apply for a work visa.
As he explained he was thinking that he would have an easier time obtaining a work visa if he studied for his Master in the US and was eligible for OPT after graduating. In that way, he has a far better chance of obtaining employment in the US then if he had a degree from elsewhere and no work experience. All would hinge on the work experience for employment if he studied elsewhere.

Why does anyone want to come here. Okay we know that you had no choice being that your husband is not eligible to emigrate to the UK and therefore if you wanted to marry you had to emigrate to the US. Why does anyone want to come to the US, let along a Brit who can enjoy the same standard of living in their country plus medical advantages then they do living and working in the US.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 31st 2017 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Ive always wanted to move to the American South particularly Texas but im starting to think the regret of going to America and spending tens of thousands on something I could do in Britain for a quarter of the cost would be worse than the regret of not going to America full stop. Just was curious if anyone was ever in the same boat.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Would it perhaps be cheaper/less risk to study in the UK and then try to get a job in that field in the UK with an employer that also has offices in America and then try to transfer a few years down the line?
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always wanted to move to the American South particularly Texas but im starting to think the regret of going to America and spending tens of thousands on something I could do in Britain for a quarter of the cost would be worse than the regret of not going to America full stop. Just was curious if anyone was ever in the same boat.

Spending more money on a US degree for the reason that maybe a future employer might find it more acceptable than a degree from a UK university, especially in an IT related field such as Data Science appears to me to be a waste of money. The only advantage I would see is being able to spend time in America earlier rather than later, as I do assume in this field there is and will continue to be demand in certain parts of the USA.

One option would be to get a Master's from UK then apply for PhD program as several often have stipend/work assignments that can cover most or even all of cost at times. Even if you didn't finish the program and sought full time work in your field , it would get you over. ( For that matter, before the UK leaves the EU or even during the transition period), there are several Nordic and Baltic Universities that can make it quote affordable to get post-graduate education. Estonia comes to mind and is a hotbed for start-ups these days.

Few Americans pay for their Master's degrees apart from student loans or employer sponsorship, it can be very expensive.

I suspect in your chosen field there is the potential for remote work, which would possibly permit some sort of work for an American employer, which could lead to an offer of sponsorship.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your time writing that .
It is appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.