Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on Starting a small business

Advice on Starting a small business

Old Dec 7th 2018, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

chidori is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Starting a small business

Hello, I started a small event business here in UK, however I am moving to the states soon. Any advice on starting all over again over there? it is an events company. What do i need to look out for? thanks
Old Dec 7th 2018, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Starting a small business

What visa will you have when you move to the US. This might have an impact on whether you can work or not.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 11:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For others reading, the OP is moving to the state of Georgia.

I don't know what visa, though.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2018, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Hello, working shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited by chidori; Dec 8th 2018 at 9:08 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 9:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chidori View Post
Hello, I have green card, working shouldnt be an issue.
How did you obtain a green card without yet moving to the USA?

Either way, starting a small business in the USA is usually a very simple process, but you need to look at the state laws for Georgia. My immigrant husband started a small business (sole proprietor) in Arizona, and all he had to do was register the business name to get a Tax ID number. He was responsible for paying the quarterly business taxes, but he actually paid them at the end of each year, with a very small penalty (a few dollars). The thing he found most difficult was keeping his personal expenses separate from his business expenses, even though he had separate bank accounts and credit cards for each. Just a cultural thing for him, I think, but he never managed to keep them totally separate. In hindsight, he should have created an LLC for the company instead of being sole proprietor. He had a CPA do his taxes. Other than that, there was nothing to it.

So, in my opinion, things to look out for:
1. Keep your personal money and expenses totally separate from your business money and expenses.
2. Have a good CPA on hand for advice and taxes.
3. Make use of your local Small Business Administration, they have a lot of resources. https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/ga/atlanta

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 8th 2018 at 9:04 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

It could be if you are not on a visa eligible for working. What visa are you getting?
Old Dec 8th 2018, 11:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are loathe to let the forum members know what visa you are using to enter the US to reside and work. As such, if you probably won't be given information from the same members. Please understand that they prefer not to answer questions that don't pertain to your situation.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:09 am
Just Joined

thank you
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Is it some sort of super-secret visa that you don't want to share with us? Most of us don't waste our time discussing a topic before we are certain it is even relevant i.e if you even have route to a visa.

​​​​​​For others reading, the OP is moving to the state of Georgia.
That remains to be seen.

EDIT: Oh this is the guy that still wanted his UK Child Benefit despite living in the US!! Just the sort we need in GA!

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 9th 2018 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Extra 'the'
Old Dec 9th 2018, 4:53 pm
Norman

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Is it some sort of super-secret visa that you don't want to share with us? Most of us don't waste our time discussing a topic before we are certain it is even relevant i.e if you even have route to a visa.

That remains to be seen.

EDIT: Oh this is the guy that still wanted his UK Child Benefit despite living in the US!! Just the sort we need in GA!
Old Dec 9th 2018, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I was told the other day that I had become Americanised as it used the term guy, for a girl. Need to watch it.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I was told the other day that I had become Americanised as it used the term guy, for a girl. Need to watch it.
Well your spelling is certainly still British