British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Advice please re: nursing and law in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advice-please-re-nursing-law-usa-707785/)

devon dumpling Mar 3rd 2011 11:06 am

Advice please re: nursing and law in USA

Hi,
I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. It looks as though our family will be moving to the USA later this year (via my husband's job) and I am wondering how to adjust my own career prospects. I am a Registered Nurse (with a diploma gained in 2002) and unsure if I will be able to practise without a nursing degree.
Additionally, I am halfway through an LLB with the OU. I'm not sure whether to abandon this altogether and start again at a US college or complete it and look at postgrad options in the USA. Would I need to apply for the JD or LLM? Does the fact that my LLB will be acquired via distance learning have a major impact on my situation?
Extra info: I already have a BA (Hons) Humanities degree which I completed straight after school. My marks so far with the OU indicate I may achieve a First if all continues to go well. I am a mature student (38) and mother of 4 (aswell as part time RGN) so the OU was my only option over here really. We will be moving to New Jersey.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Silverdragon102 Mar 3rd 2011 11:24 am

Re: Advice please re: nursing and law in USA

Each state has their own Board of Nursing (BON) and each BON has their own requirements however you will be required to have clinical and theory hours on your transcripts in Paeds, Mental Health, obstetrics and Adult. If you are deficient in hours then the state will not give eligibility to sit NCLEX and you will need to pass this to be able to work as a nurse in the US.

May find some answers in this thread post number 6 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Eric S Mar 3rd 2011 3:39 pm

What kind of visa does your husband have? If it's an H-1B, then you presumably have an H-4 visa to accompany him. With an H-4, you will not have authorization to work while in the US. If you want to work, you would need to apply and be approved for a different visa on your own merits.

- Eric S.

Noorah101 Mar 3rd 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by devon dumpling (Post 9215279)
It looks as though our family will be moving to the USA later this year (via my husband's job) ...

As Eric mentioned, it's very important to know what visa your husband is getting. Some dependent visas allow work, some don't, so we can't really advise you much until we know what visa you'll be getting.

Rene

zerlesen Mar 3rd 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 9215746)
What kind of visa does your husband have? If it's an H-1B, then you presumably have an H-4 visa to accompany him. With an H-4, you will not have authorization to work while in the US. If you want to work, you would need to apply and be approved for a different visa on your own merits.

Although, looking on the bright side, an H-4 does allow you to go to school (which sounds like it might end up being necessary).

devon dumpling Mar 3rd 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by zerlesen (Post 9215783)
Although, looking on the bright side, an H-4 does allow you to go to school (which sounds like it might end up being necessary).

Thanks for all the responses. My husband will be applying for an L1B, so I think that means the kids and I will be on an L2. His employer have agreed to sponsor him for a green card, (unless we run screaming back to blighty) as we are planning to settle if all goes well. I realise that job prospects for me are probably not that great at the moment but only want minimal part time nursing hours so that I don't lose my UK registration altogether. Hopefully by the time my law studies are completed (which looks like it may be several years) the economy may be picking up somewhat.

lisa67 Mar 3rd 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by devon dumpling (Post 9215834)
Thanks for all the responses. My husband will be applying for an L1B, so I think that means the kids and I will be on an L2. His employer have agreed to sponsor him for a green card, (unless we run screaming back to blighty) as we are planning to settle if all goes well. I realise that job prospects for me are probably not that great at the moment but only want minimal part time nursing hours so that I don't lose my UK registration altogether. Hopefully by the time my law studies are completed (which looks like it may be several years) the economy may be picking up somewhat.

As an L2 you will be able to apply for an EAD (employment authorisation document) so the good news is you will be allowed to work. It takes about 90days for the EAD to come through :)

Bob Mar 3rd 2011 9:33 pm

Welcome to BE :)

Check with OU to see if they'll let you continue the course in the US. They do for certain courses if you've already done 12 months in the UK before moving, but some courses aren't very practical.

Having a UK law degree and no experience is a little pointless over here though unfortunately, a few threads on the subject, I think NY state would be the best bet without having to start from scratch.

The nursing thing, depends on the state you'll work in, and how long ago you got qualified but there are threads on that as well, also all-nurses forum is worth a gander I gather.

mwdake Mar 3rd 2011 11:24 pm

You can have your transcripts evaluated by the BON for the state you are going to. Ironically the Texas State BON said my wife was deficient in Pediatrics and did not mention Psych. Considering my wife had both RN and RSCN in the UK and no Psych training we asked them to re-evaluate after which they said she needed some Psych training.

Arkansas used to be the only state that would issue an RN license by reciprocity from a UK license; I am not sure if they still do that.

Silverdragon102 Mar 4th 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by mwdake (Post 9216557)
You can have your transcripts evaluated by the BON for the state you are going to. Ironically the Texas State BON said my wife was deficient in Pediatrics and did not mention Psych. Considering my wife had both RN and RSCN in the UK and no Psych training we asked them to re-evaluate after which they said she needed some Psych training.

Arkansas used to be the only state that would issue an RN license by reciprocity from a UK license; I am not sure if they still do that.

I doubt they still do it as everyone has to pass NCLEX now to work as a nurse in the US and looking at their website you have to get CES or some other accepted evaluation done and pass NCLEX

http://www.arsbn.arkansas.gov/discip...l%20packet.pdf

devon dumpling Mar 9th 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks, having spent some time (lots actually) trawling the internet I have decided to address the issue of obtaining a nursing licence when we arrive in NJ. My husband now has a start date for the end of April so we have to start some serious organising on the home front. The OU said I could continue my course this year but next year (my last one) may be problematic as apparently I will no longer be a UK resident (even though I won't be a US resident either). This is a bit annoying as I would like to complete the LLB in case we return, even though it is seemingly useless in the US. Although we are feeling excited the thought of now sorting out flights, shipping (of stuff and dog), schools, our house in the UK (and what to do with it?) etc etc is incredibly daunting. How did everyone else cope with all this?:unsure:

MsElui Mar 9th 2011 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by devon dumpling
How did everyone else cope with all this?:unsure:

buy being so busy doing it in the rush that i didnt have time to worry lol!

are the company giving you any shipping?
Start to go through each room one by one and pare down whats there into keep, give away, trash. and regularly trash and donate as you go along.
Think about using sites like Freecycle or freegle to donate locally - although thats can introduce a bit more work of sorting through replies etc. I got rid of a LOT of stuff that way and did it so much it got to the point i had little piles of stuff sitting on the porch with peoples names on for them to grab without ringing the doorbell. The eralier you can start - the more you can get through and then the less 'junk' you end up taking because you ran out of time to sort it. If you have a spare room- i would even be considering moving the 'take' items not in daily use into that room so it becomes a 'to pack' room. easy for the removal company and you can see progress in other rooms.

dont forget the attic, shed, garage etc. we left our garage a bit late and had to rent a man with a van to come and dispose of a tonne of stuff the day before the packers finished.

The Horticulturalist Mar 9th 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by devon dumpling (Post 9228378)
Thanks, having spent some time (lots actually) trawling the internet I have decided to address the issue of obtaining a nursing licence when we arrive in NJ. My husband now has a start date for the end of April so we have to start some serious organising on the home front. The OU said I could continue my course this year but next year (my last one) may be problematic as apparently I will no longer be a UK resident (even though I won't be a US resident either). This is a bit annoying as I would like to complete the LLB in case we return, even though it is seemingly useless in the US. Although we are feeling excited the thought of now sorting out flights, shipping (of stuff and dog), schools, our house in the UK (and what to do with it?) etc etc is incredibly daunting. How did everyone else cope with all this?:unsure:

Actually you will be a US resident, just not a permanent resident.

Are you planning for your move to be permanent? Could you pick up the OU if you returned in a few years? If you end up not returning you might want to look at study options stateside instead.

If I were you I'd push the pause on all the study stuff for now and focus on packing and getting ready for the move. There are lots of threads on here about getting organised for your move including shipping, schools, obtaining immunisations records and other medical info before you leave. Just ask for help if you can't find them.

Don't panic Mrs Mannering! :)