Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

advice please

advice please

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: advice please

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
$50k used to be a pretty nice salary....
Yes it was, especially in VA. I get the impression that a lot of the regulars on here are on a pretty high income? I know "high income" is relative to the state you are in, but are most people on this board on a higher than "average" middle class American salary?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
Yes it was, especially in VA. I get the impression that a lot of the regulars on here are on a pretty high income? I know "high income" is relative to the state you are in, but are most people on this board on a higher than "average" middle class American salary?
My understanding is that the median US household income is of the order of 50k.

To suggest an international move for a very average salary...
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
My understanding is that the median US household income is of the order of 50k. ....
I think so too, but it is telling that the Obamacare subsidies for health insurance run up close to annual household income of $90,000, if I remember correctly.

To pick a few items from my earlier list of costs, upto 20% of the population, especially in poorer states, live in trailers (I discovered not long after immigrating that there isn't a state in the US that does not rely on trailers to house a significant proportion of their population), there are a lot of really junky cars on the road, many of which are under/uninsured, virtually all of the lower/ lowest paid have no health insurance, and obviously they are saving nothing towards their retirement, nor have any intention of funding further/ higher education for their children.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House..._United_States
The map in that article is slightly misleading because the counties with the highest income are mostly the most densely populated, so the map is on average "paler" than median income alone would show.

Another article I found split income by racial groupings, with "white" households having about 10% higher median income.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2013 at 1:20 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of those things could be said about the UK or more so.

I could think of a lot of people who would like to be on $50 k a year.

There was an interesting discussion on Radio 5 about what constitutes rich, according to Labour $100k does not cut it. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3966395.html
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of those things could be said about the UK or more so.

I could think of a lot of people who would like to be on $50 k a year.

There was an interesting discussion on Radio 5 about what constitutes rich, according to Labour $100k does not cut it. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3966395.html
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If he moved to a "cheap" area, the only thing he'd save would be some of the rent, and though he might save a few hundred dollars, (I'd be very cautious about renting anywhere under $800) it is questionable if he would be getting better value for money because living in lower cost areas commonly brings "other issues".
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting moving to a cheaper area in Norfolk, VA, my point was that $50k in a cheaper area of the country would overall go further, but obviously isn't really an option for the OP.

Norfolk VA is actually cheaper than I expected (cost of living is pretty much average) but $50k isn't really that great to live on there either when you talk about moving countries for it.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

IMO if you have the choice...the US is not the place to be if you are living hand to mouth. No job security...expensive healthcare and meds...everything for kids re after school activities seems to cost a small fortune...college fees etc etc etc...
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO if you have the choice...the US is not the place to be if you are living hand to mouth. No job security...expensive healthcare and meds...everything for kids re after school activities seems to cost a small fortune...college fees etc etc etc...
Very good points.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Plus gun crime is generally inversely related to the cost of housing. Hearing gunshots at night is a surreal experience, and the closer they are the more disturbing it is!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Plus gun crime is generally inversely related to the cost of housing. Hearing gunshots at night is a surreal experience, and the closer they are the more disturbing it is!
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

50K is pretty bad.
If someone is currently making less than that then of course it's a step up but if you're currently middle class in the UK I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

50K is pretty bad.
If someone is currently making less than that then of course it's a step up but if you're currently middle class in the UK I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
If he is hoping to come on H1-B, the salary has to be at the prevailing level

OP has not clarified what kind of engineer he is, but it is usually a better-paying profession.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bottom line for the OP has to be -- will this move and the associated upheaval offer a better life for him and his family? The answer is that it is doubtful that it would do so. Yes, he could probably manage to live reasonably well on his salary, and indeed many do, but without the UK "safety net" of benefits, he would not be as well off in the US as he was in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunc81
Any reasonable, non-self righteous advice would be massively appreciated
Don't do it.

And go back and read the other posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.