Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

advice please

advice please

Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please

Originally Posted by Lebowski
thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to suss it all out at the minute.

A couple of people said it would be a lot easier for my girlfriend to move over to the UK, why is it so much easier?
When I moved over to live with my then boyfriend/now husband in the UK (6 years ago) he was already settled, had a job, house, etc. So getting the visa was incredibly simple. I was living in Southern California, so I went to the British consulate (near LAX) and applied there. We had all the papers and I had my visa in 20 minutes. I didn't have to have any medical, immunisations or jump through 5 million damn hoops. When we did the visa to come back over here it was more complicated. Ok, granted we both didn't have employment nor housing over here, we had to prove that we had 120x's the poverty level for a family of 3, finances I mean. But, its a good thing we had it, because we have needed it living over here. But that's a whole other thread.

Best of luck to you, but if you're already settled there, why not have your girlfriend join you and try it there for a bit?

Wow, Lebrowski is an interesting Irish name, where did that come from? Sorry, I'm just nosy by nature.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advice please

Originally Posted by Lebowski
thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to suss it all out at the minute.

A couple of people said it would be a lot easier for my girlfriend to move over to the UK, why is it so much easier?
A friend of mine did the equivalent of a K3 in 3 weeks, I think here you are looking at over a year.

No EAD or AP hassles. The income requirements are much less onerous.

Just look at the forms and see which are easier to complete.

The only minus I can forsee is the UK Driving Test, my Wife somehow avoided this for the 3 years she was in the UK, and so it seems did all her colleagues! Well I never found a USC who had taken one.

I think there was not a hope in hell that she would have passed.