Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice from North Caroliners

Advice from North Caroliners

Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from North Caroliners

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I haven't been there but judging by its location within NC and its proximity to SC, I'd say it's a very quiet, podunk town. ....
I have been there, and it is a very quiet podunk town! ..... Except when NASCAR used to race there and 65,000 race fans would liven the place up a bit.

The track is still there, used for racing schools and "track experiences", and the dragway is still active, so I guess the place livens up a bit then too.

Otherwise, if you are happy in a really rural town, with only burger and barbeque restaurants, and nothing but movies for entertainment on a night-out, then Rockingham is for you. Otherwise you'll be bored to death.

By the way, it is not really close to Charlotte, 70 miles away in fact, and speaking from experience I don't recommend Charlotte as great place for a night out either!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 3:03 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

If your looking for somewhere near but far in nc then you should try somewhere like Burgaw, Lumberton, Whiteville, Shallote, Emerald Isle and Holden Beach. They are all close to bigger cities but far enough away that it feels rural. They are all less than an hour from the ocean and close to ammenities.

Pulaski, do you know why I think Rockingham is "close" to Charlotte, because its a blink of an eye while I'm travelling to Charlotte, if you asked me to find it on a map I couldnt, I know its the county next to Scotland county!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
If your looking for somewhere near but far in nc then you should try somewhere like Burgaw, Lumberton, Whiteville, Shallote, Emerald Isle and Holden Beach. They are all close to bigger cities but far enough away that it feels rural. They are all less than an hour from the ocean and close to ammenities.

Pulaski, do you know why I think Rockingham is "close" to Charlotte, because its a blink of an eye while I'm travelling to Charlotte, if you asked me to find it on a map I couldnt, I know its the county next to Scotland county!
If the OP can stand hoards of tourists, Emerald Isle can be OK but it is a tourist destination, first and foremost.

I think Burgaw is notable for its blueberries, and Lumberton is right next to the SC border. I've only been through Lumberton really and the only thing of note for me is that the pork people, Williams, are based there.

NC Penguin