Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

advice needed on taking daughter on holiday for 5 weeks/ fathers letter of permission

advice needed on taking daughter on holiday for 5 weeks/ fathers letter of permission

Old May 23rd 2012, 6:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed on taking daughter on holiday for 5 weeks/ fathers letter of permis

Originally Posted by lansbury
We once cost Parkistan International Airlines £88,000 for a delayed flight. I was working with a colleague whose family came from that part of the world. There was a family traveling and the teenage girls body language was just wrong. We ask questions got nowhere, delayed boarding did some checks, got nothing. Let them board, by now the flight was about 45 minutes late. It taxied out, we went for a coffee, walking to the coffee shop my collegue qhad second thoughts so I phoned the control tower and told them to bring it back to the gate. By the time we off loaded the family and bags the flight finally left two hours late. Pakistan government contacted the F&CO demanding payment. Fortunately my collegue sensed it right, a 15 years old being forced into an arranged marriage. Not a child abduction in the sense being discussed here, but nice to have been able to stop it.

If in doubt there is always the powers to protect a child and take them to a place of safety.
Well done. I hope they didn't or couldn't try again later.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:21 am
Just Joined

misspearce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advice needed on taking daughter on holiday for 5 weeks/ fathers letter of permis

Originally Posted by lansbury
The reason I asked is twofold. If I thought the child was capable of understanding what was happening I would often ask them why they were traveling.

I had an eight year old tell me once they were going on holiday and it must be costing dad a lot of money as he had sold everything in the house to pay for it.

I see you use miss in your username. Were you and the father married, and if not is he named on the birth certificate?
oh my daughter would certainly spill all if i had something to hide she is such a chatterbox lol

no we were never married but he is on the birth certificate and she has both our surnames.

just out of curiosity how did you get into that kind of job? it sounds like a very interesting job!
Old May 24th 2012, 12:22 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misspearce
oh my daughter would certainly spill all if i had something to hide she is such a chatterbox lol

no we were never married but he is on the birth certificate and she has both our surnames.

just out of curiosity how did you get into that kind of job? it sounds like a very interesting job!
OK as he is on the birth certificate you do need his permission. I was checking to see if legally he had parental responsibity under the Child Abduction Act, he does.

I was a Special Branch detective for a lot of my career. In those days Special Branch officers were posted to ports to gather intelligence on persons who might be concerned with terrorism. We work(ed) alongside immigration officers, had offices airside in the terminals, worked closely with airline staff and had access to the reservation systems, so Special Branch took on the prevention part of child abduction at ports. Much easier for us to do, and we could respond quicker than uniform officers from the airport police station.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

US residents Hubby and 2YO daughter will be traveling to the UK next month, without me, for his father's 80th.

Last time he did this, he had no problems leaving the US but when they arrived back in the USA he was asked for a letter from the child's mother.

The conversation was effectively ended by our then 22 month old daughter: when hearing her father give my name she interrupted with "Mommy (insert ozzio's real name), Daddy Rob" and then gave Rob a snuggle.

The US immigration officer "told" Rob that he needed a "permission to travel letter from the child's mother".

Suggested wording appreciated please.

And on a side note, how will they know the letter is actually from me? And why was I not questioned on the occasions that I traveled alone with said child? Grrr.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

And on a side note, how will they know the letter is actually from me? And why was I not questioned on the occasions that I traveled alone with said child? Grrr.
It's all hit or miss, but provide info where you can be contacted easily, with someone/where that can verify you, such as a work number.

Notarised letter stating that you are mum and you give permission for dad to travel to/from US/UK with your child, name/dob.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's all hit or miss, but provide info where you can be contacted easily, with someone/where that can verify you, such as a work number.

Notarised letter stating that you are mum and you give permission for dad to travel to/from US/UK with your child, name/dob.
Hit or miss is right. Effectively a single parent also, I take my son to and from England, and his father has taken him to and from Mexico. We have always had a letter ready. Notaries public here are so easy to find and you can get the letter signed at a Currency Exchange for $2. However, we have never been asked to produce said letter anywhere. My son travels on a U.S. and a U.K. passport, as do I, and his father on a Mexican passport.