Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed on Renewing I-551

Advice Needed on Renewing I-551

Old Aug 30th 2001, 5:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If any of the “experts� can give a little guidance in untwisting or at least guiding us in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

In a nutshell, interviewed June 13, 2000, stamp received September 29, 2000, AOS supposedly approved August 11, 2000. The form stating when to remove conditions completed by the DAO says to remove conditions from June 28, 2002 until September 28, 2002. Letter from INS to Matt Udall said AOS approved August 11, 2000 remove conditions 90 days prior to that date as petitioner is CR-1 conditional FINANCER <sic>. (Their words not ours) Green card never received in the mail. Formal inquiry to Vermont made in February, 2001 never acknowledged. Inquiry by Congresswoman’s office on June 12th never acknowledged. Our personal inquiry of NYC INS in March never acknowledged. I-551 will expire in less than a month. Dealing with NYC INS … no phone numbers, no contact available unless you walk in after waiting on line for hours, etc. and then no guarantee that you will be helped.

Questions:

1. Does the date on the I-551 stamp have to match the date of the AOS approval? I.e., should it have read 8/11/00 instead of the date stamp applied to the passport 9/29/00

2. Without the greencard in hand I can’t tell what date should Jim remove the conditions from the card? June 28, 2000 or May 28, 2000? We are only talking about a difference of a month but still an appreciable difference.

3. Can you remove conditions from a stamp if you never have gotten the actual green card?

4. Has anyone ever walked into ANY INS office and gotten the I-551 renewed. Is it a big hassle?

5. Should we complete the I-90 for a replacement green card on the basis that the card was never received. You are suppose to include the formal reply from the Service Center which we have never received.

Jim has had the photos retaken for a new green card and I have completed the form for him and he will take a check for $110 to pay for the replacement and hopes that they will complete another signature/print card for him and dispatch that off.

Again, has anyone had to do this before?

6. Will they renew the stamp ahead of its expiration or do you have to wait for it to expire first?

Thanks
Rita

Old Aug 30th 2001, 6:49 pm
Paulgani

Don't pay too much attention to my ramblings, I'm just theorizing.

I know the green card contains a fingerprint on it, and when my wife entered with her
I-130 Immigrant Visa, she had to give a single fingerprint which eventually showed up
on her green card. I believe, but am not sure, that the fingerprint was put on a form
I-89, which is something like "creation of record of permanent residence", and which
orders up the green card itself.

Now, you mention an interview, and then later, an approval letter. But you never
mentioned a return visit whereupon your husband put his fingerprint on an I-89 form
which I am theorizing, orders the green card. A friend of ours in Baltimore recently
had her interview, was told she was approved at the interview, but then had to come
back the next week to put her fingerprint on an I-89 form.

So my theory is that no green card was ever ordered for your husband, and that if you
want one, you need to get someone's attention at your NYC office so your husband can
walk in with the approval letter, and they will fill out an I-89 for him right then
and there. No fee should be necessary. As for removal of conditions, apply 90 days
prior to 2 year anniversary of date of approval. Normally, they want copy of green
card. I'd send them a copy of stamp and copy of approval letter. Anyway, Vermont will
take a year to get to it, so you should have a physical green card by then should
they RFE you.

Paulgani

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 30th 2001, 8:35 pm
Mr Good Luck

Rete

As Paulgani sad you did not mention any fingerprinting before the interview in
INS-NYC everyone was fingerprinted before called into DOA's office for interview

at the interview our DOA had the form with my fingerprints on the desk while
interviewing us

>
    >
    >
entered
    >
    >
    >
of
    >
    >
    >
you
    >
on
    >
ours
    >
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
office
    >
out
    >
    >
of
    >
of
    >
get
    >
you.
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > If any of the "experts" can give a little guidance in untwisting or at least[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > guiding us in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In a nutshell, interviewed June 13, 2000, stamp received September 29, 2000, AOS[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > supposedly approved August 11, 2000. The form stating when to remove conditions[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > completed by the DAO says to remove conditions from June 28, 2002 until September[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 28, 2002. Letter from INS to Matt Udall said AOS approved August 11, 2000 remove[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > conditions 90 days prior to that date as petitioner is CR-1 conditional FINANCER[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > <sic>. (Their words not ours) Green card never received in the mail. Formal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > inquiry to Vermont made in February, 2001 never acknowledged. Inquiry by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Congresswoman's office on June 12th never acknowledged. Our personal inquiry of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > NYC INS in March never acknowledged. I-551 will expire in less than a month.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Dealing with NYC INS . no phone numbers, no contact available unless you walk in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after waiting on line for hours, etc. and then no guarantee that you will be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > helped.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Questions:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. Does the date on the I-551 stamp have to match the date of the AOS approval?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I.e., should it have read 8/11/00 instead of the date stamp applied to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > passport 9/29/00[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Without the greencard in hand I can't tell what date should Jim remove the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > conditions from the card? June 28, 2000 or May 28, 2000? We are only talking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about a difference of a month but still an appreciable difference.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3. Can you remove conditions from a stamp if you never have gotten the actual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 4. Has anyone ever walked into ANY INS office and gotten the I-551 renewed. Is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > it a big hassle?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 5. Should we complete the I-90 for a replacement green card on the basis that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the card was never received. You are suppose to include the formal reply from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the Service Center which we have never received.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jim has had the photos retaken for a new green card and I have completed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the form for him and he will take a check for $110 to pay for the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > replacement and hopes that they will complete another signature/print[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > card for him and dispatch that off.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Again, has anyone had to do this before?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 6. Will they renew the stamp ahead of its expiration or do you have to wait for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > it to expire first?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks Rita[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Rete and Jim (Can/Am Alumni '98)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm Update AOS Experiences at:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html Update POE Experiences at:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.k1poelist.com/ Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I-130/I-485 Helpsite at:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/ AOS filing; Interview and K-1[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Interview Experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 30th 2001, 11:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to shot the theory down, but at the time of the AOS interview the print, photo and signature were done on the appropriate form. We had hoped that perhaps the DAO just "forgot" about sending it off to Vermont and that it would arrive within the 90 days from the date of the letter sent to Matt Udall which was June 12. It is almost 90 days now and still no card, so that might or might not still be the case but who knows.

Still hoping to hear from anyone who knows about renewing the I-551 in NYC without having an appointment. But case we will be answering that one ourselves since Jim is going in the morning.

Rita
Old Aug 31st 2001, 3:48 pm
M1nn0w

Rita, On Tuesday 9/4 Deb and I are driving up to Albany to have her stamp renewed.
Her current NOA extension letter expired 7/27 with no word yet from INS. When I
called Vermont they said that they are still working on
5/01 and so it would be several more months before they'd get to, what she termed as,
the August entries. She said to Bring Deb's Passport, her expired green card and
expired NOA into the Albany office where they will stamp another I-551 extension
into her passport. As you never received a green card I guess you would just bring
your passport and NOA letter. I really think you need to get into the NYC office,
sit down with one of the interviewers and, as calmly as you can, state your case.
I'm sure it won't be easy but you need to get someone's attention. Have you tried
calling the Vermont Number and waiting to speak to an officer? It's a real pain to
get through and when you do you find that you can not check for the status of AOS
cases with their automated system. It tells you your case hasn't been found. You
then tell the system that you want to speak to someone. Eventually (Snore, Snore)
you get someone real on the phone. I've done this twice and on both occasions I've
given the lady Debs "A" number and she was able to find her in the system and tell
me what date we applied on and what the status was. In Our case it's that they
haven't gotten to it yet. It takes some fancy finger work between the Drop and
Redial buttons but if you are determined you can get through BTW no one in
Albany told us to go there so we are, in effect, just walking in off the street
with no app't. Hopefully we won't be thrown out.

John & Deb