Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - Post 16 Education in Indianapolis?

Advice needed - Post 16 Education in Indianapolis?

Old May 8th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Advice needed - Post 16 Education in Indianapolis?

We are relocating in June to Indy. My Oldest Son will have completed his GCSE exams before we leave, and I am struggling to figure out where he will fit in the education system. Over here he would have attended college to study computer programming or something similar and I can't seem to find anything suitable for him through my searches. We will be living in the North Indy area.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - Post 16 Education in Indianapolis?

If he is 16 or 17 then he would probably be a Sophmore or Junior in High School. I would contact the High School in the area you are moving to and they will be able to advise the best course of action for you. My son was only 6 before we moved but I contacted the Elementary School we would be sending him to and got very helpful advice from the Principal. She gave me all the information I needed about registering my son. She emailed me links to print out all the enrolment forms and told me how the school day goes. I am sure the High School is the same. If you do go to Carmel I know there are a few other British teenagers (16/17 years old) that go to Carmel High. (I know their parents)
Old May 8th 2010, 4:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It may be slightly more difficult to enter a US university or college without a high school diploma or a GED (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...al_Development) along with his college entrance tests (SAT & ACT) but you can do it.

I think you'll find it's a bit of a tossup what you should do and there really isn't one perfect answer. Some have fought it out, gotten a GED or some other equivalency certification and pushed through to college 'early' (which has it's own issues of financing and eventually, visas for the kids in their own right) while others have decided to get the high school diploma to get them acclimated to US student culture and have a bit of a gap year in essence. Some have also seen high school as a way of establishing 'in state residency' for the purpose of attending a public university (at a substantially discounted tuition rate).

I think my question is what does your son want over the next five years? Is he planning on a degree in the UK? Does he want a degree from the US (and tangentially, are you ready to pay for US tuition costs?). Is he socially ready for college life, or would you like him at home for another year or so to get sorted? What type of US university is he considering (Harvard, Yale Stanford or University of Indiana or Local Community College?) Are we talking high level computer programming (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering degree) or something more vocational like web design or a <random company> Systems Engineering certificate?

Last edited by penguinsix; May 8th 2010 at 4:43 pm.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would also ask is there a plan to get a green card quickly? If not, then he could "age out" before it gets granted, if the process takes years.

On temporary status, tuition fees will be a problem in the USA and back in the UK he may have lost is eligibility for hone fees tuition.

Unless there is a quick pathway to permanent residence, migrating with an older teenager is not always a good idea.
Old May 8th 2010, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how long you are going to be here, you may want to think about contacting a high school in the area you are moving too (contact info can be found at greatschools.org) It may be worth his while doing a year at least in High school, failing that, he would at least need to go to a community college to at get a high school diploma. Not much fun going back to school, when they think they are done, but he would have a hard time (maybe even impossible) getting into any college without one.

If you guys are only going to be here for a couple of years, it may be worthwhile leaving your Son with family in the UK, at least during term time. (college) Not an ideal situation, but as has already been said, it's not fun moving here with 16/17 yr olds. The education is very different here as far as when they are done with high school and the qualifications they leave with.