Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed please...........

Advice needed please...........

Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice
Default Advice needed please...........

Hi,great forum and so much useful info.I am planning in the near future to(hopefully)emigrate from the UK to the States by means of an E2 investor visa.
I want to buy a business and have gone into the connotations and requirements to qualify for the visa.
What I haven't found out is how much will an Attorney cost me to administer the process?I'd be interested to find out the variations in how much people have been charged and also the experiences of those who have entered the US by this method.
All feedback much appreciated.
Cheers peeps.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed please...........

Originally posted by cupranod
Hi,great forum and so much useful info.I am planning in the near future to(hopefully)emigrate from the UK to the States by means of an E2 investor visa.
I want to buy a business and have gone into the connotations and requirements to qualify for the visa.
What I haven't found out is how much will an Attorney cost me to administer the process?I'd be interested to find out the variations in how much people have been charged and also the experiences of those who have entered the US by this method.
All feedback much appreciated.
Cheers peeps.
E-2 info can be gained here...she has a good reputation
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old May 1st 2004, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

daisyann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default me too, anybody with any personal expereince of this?

I am really interested in going this route as well. Does anyone have personal experience of doing this or know of any sites with personal stories.

We would have to sell our house to do it which is a big gamble and id like to know other peoples experiences. Also, with no knowledge of running a business, how hard is it to buy into a small business and run it successfully.

thanks for any help
Old May 1st 2004, 2:58 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: me too, anybody with any personal expereince of this?

Originally posted by daisyann
I am really interested in going this route as well. Does anyone have personal experience of doing this or know of any sites with personal stories.

We would have to sell our house to do it which is a big gamble and id like to know other peoples experiences. Also, with no knowledge of running a business, how hard is it to buy into a small business and run it successfully.

thanks for any help
I'm going to ignore my feeling that this is a troll's question, and give my view.

You'd have to be insane to do what you're describing with no experience of running a business and no capital other than from your house.

The E2 visa does not entitle you to a Green Card (permanent residency) over here. If your small business goes bust you will be required to leave the US, even if you've been running the business for years.

As for "how hard is it to buy into a small business and run it successfully" - that's really a very silly question. Small businesses go bust over here (just like they do in the UK) with alarming frequency. Just look at some of the government statistics here and in the UK on how many small businesses folded in the recession we are still in. With no experience your chances of success are very slim, and you're talking about gambling your sole major investment (your house) on this?

Personally I can't imagine taking an uncalculated risk like this.
Old May 1st 2004, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Firstly, i'm no troll - dont know why u would even think that.

Ive seen a few cited examples of people buying into established businesses under the E-2 route, all purportedly with no previous selling experience - but they are EXAMPLES only so that is why i wanted to see some more detailed personal histories.

The E2 visa does not entitle you to a Green Card (permanent residency) over here. If your small business goes bust you will be required to leave the US, even if you've been running the business for years.
I am aware of that.

As for "how hard is it to buy into a small business and run it successfully" - that's really a very silly question.
I have recently seen a programme in which a couple did just that 3 years ago and are very happy in their new life in Florida. They bought a petstore and grooming parlour but had only been an office supervisor beforehand. - So, not so silly for them! Unfortunately, the programme didnt go into detail, which is what i am looking for.

Maybe I did need somebody to be rude to me to shatter me out of my longterm dream of moving to Florida, but if there are any people out there that can give some constructive advice, i would still like to see how they did it.

There is also the option of getting a loan on our property here (plenty of equity) and renting it out (London prices are quite good) and using the money to buy a business. Again, would like to see how others have done it.

If you dont ask, then you dont get alternative solutions to your problems.

Thank you for making my first post so enjoyable.

Daisyanne
Old May 1st 2004, 3:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not everybody has the possibility of getting a work visa...but still want to have a go..and the E-2 is the only way for them.. It has its downside's I agree, but so do other visa's ...
I know many people on E-2s who are doing very well.. my own local electrician is an E-2 brit...and believe me I would not mind 10% of his income... Take a look at the forum at:
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi

It has really nice people some of whom are already here and some in the planning stage...and its run by a really nice guy..
Old May 1st 2004, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks

Thanks for that. It looks a good site. Ill go off and read now!!

Daisyanne
Old May 1st 2004, 5:00 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I did need somebody to be rude to me to shatter me out of my longterm dream of moving to Florida....
You've come to the right place for that. Just give it time and I am sure quite a few people will be lining up to have a go

Good luck to you - everyone has to start somewhere.
Old May 1st 2004, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Take a look at the forum at:
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi

It has really nice people some of whom are already here and some in the planning stage...and its run by a really nice guy..
LOL Ray!!!
Old May 1st 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently seen a programme in which a couple did just that 3 years ago and are very happy in their new life in Florida.

If you are referring to "Place in the Sun", I can tell you that this show (and others like it) are heavily critisized on this forum. The show makes everything look MUCH easier than it actually is. Please do not believe everything you see on these types of shows.