Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: Moving to US to study.

Advice needed: Moving to US to study.

Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

badboy_20055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Advice needed: Moving to US to study.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice, i been looking at the site and couldnt find anything relevant.
im a 20 year old student UK citizen whos about to start a Degree in business in the UK. my question is..
after i have completed my degree is there any chance that i could move to USA to finish my studies? such as for a MASTERS DEGREE in business? i have looked at the site and im pretty confused with all the different types of visa's, which one would i need or would i even be allowed to do this?

i would appreciate all the advice given!

Stu.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed: Moving to US to study.

F-1 I believe. However, I hope you have a lot of cash to spare because it wont be cheap, think in the $10,000s a year to the college alone plus a big sum to prove to USCIS that you can fully support yourself for your first year.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badboy_20055 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice, i been looking at the site and couldnt find anything relevant.
im a 20 year old student UK citizen whos about to start a Degree in business in the UK. my question is..
after i have completed my degree is there any chance that i could move to USA to finish my studies? such as for a MASTERS DEGREE in business? i have looked at the site and im pretty confused with all the different types of visa's, which one would i need or would i even be allowed to do this?

i would appreciate all the advice given!

Stu.
Do you mean you want to transfer from a UK Bachelorss to finish up with a US Masters degree?

You do realize that graduate school in the US is generally very expensive (more costly than the UK) and that as an international students, the academic requirements are higher than for US based applicants?

I would check the USCIS website for information about student visas.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:33 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

I would seriously reconsider your plans to do a masters in the US. I was considering doing a PhD in the USA but eventually did one in the UK. I have spent some time in the US academic environment and, in terms of PG study, do not rate it too highly. In most cases, they will be behind you academically; this is not because their education is worse, far from it in fact, but is simply a consequence of their more general education at uni.

Moreover, perhaps the biggest consideration is cost (as already mentioned) and time, which has not been mentioned. It can take anywhere up to 3 years to do a masters in the US; this is about the same time it takes to do a PhD here. In my opinion, I think you are better off getting into a really good uni here (LSE etc).

If you still wanted to do one, you can get funding for PG study in the US in exchange for teaching duties etc, but this is obviously highly competitive especially at the best schools.

Oh I forgot, you will also have to take the entrance exam (which costs $$) and pay $50-100 per application.

Visa could be F-1 or J-1 - nothing else.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:50 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider is that going 'straight through' from a bachelors to a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) is virtually unheard of at most business schools in the US. They require a few years 'in the real world' before they would admit you. I think the average age of an MBA student is 27-29, and many of them have had a good stint working in business.

I would also echo the comments about the difference. In the US, probably 30-50% of your class load at uni is in subject UNRELATED to your core major. You spend times in general studies your first two years before focusing into one specific field over another (which is why something like 75% end up graduating with a major that which was not what they started with). They like to give you a look at other fields in the hopes that the one you eventually choose is something you like.

Better--worse? More like different...

You will also be looking at excess of £10,000 a year in tuition, plus an additional £5-10,000 for living, food, books, etc. Higher in bigger cities, lower in more rural areas.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

F1 visa.

Apply to uni's, pay $50-100 application fee, some places will waive it if you accept, or are dirt poor.

For the visa, you'll only be allowed to work on campus, part time, 20 hours, that's after the first semester...you'll need around $10K in the bank to cover living expenses, or means of getting funds, on top of proof you'll be able to pay uni fee's, which aren't cheap as you'll be an international student, depending on the type and location, $10-100K a year, probably around the $30K for most....and then accommodation and food, and then those pesky things like books etc.

It's worth considering if you can get sponsorship, but don't kid yourself it'll be cheap nor easy.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
F1 visa.

Apply to uni's, pay $50-100 application fee, some places will waive it if you accept, or are dirt poor.

For the visa, you'll only be allowed to work on campus, part time, 20 hours, that's after the first semester...you'll need around $10K in the bank to cover living expenses, or means of getting funds, on top of proof you'll be able to pay uni fee's, which aren't cheap as you'll be an international student, depending on the type and location, $10-100K a year, probably around the $30K for most....and then accommodation and food, and then those pesky things like books etc.

It's worth considering if you can get sponsorship, but don't kid yourself it'll be cheap nor easy.

The expense is really going to depend on the place you go and the subject you study. An MBA is more of a professional qualification rather than an academic one so you'll have to pay full wack. If you could get onto a more academic track say economics you might get some of your fees paid, but that still leaves living expenses.

Bottomline is that unless you can get a fully paid for Ph.D or post doc position or you can afford to pay for somewhere like Harvard, Chicago, Sloan, Wharton, Tuck or Stanford that are world famous you're probably better of doing something in Europe.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:37 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun View Post
............you're probably better of doing something in Europe.
City University has an excellent MBA programme.

And it's close to the Barbican!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate all the advice and feedback everyone it has been deeply appreciated!!! every post has been helpful.
i think i will reconsider doing a MBA at America as it might cost too much!

what if i were to get a BA Business degree in UK, than apply for a work placement in the US? would they sponsor me?..its always been a dream to move to america and im just trying to figure out the quickest, easiest way, without marriage!.

Stu.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:12 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.......its always been a dream to move to america .........Stu.
Why?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Because i love the culture, the way of life, and the amazing accents.
plus you get more coffee for your money! need i say more?!..people are alot less judgemental and friendlier, not that this is the main reason, there are so many more but i dont wanna clog up any more reading time for you guys, coz i would hate this thread to outstay its welcome!, i was just thinking is there any other ways?

Stu.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Because i love the culture, the way of life, and the amazing accents.
plus you get more coffee for your money! need i say more?!..people are alot less judgemental and friendlier, not that this is the main reason, there are so many more but i dont wanna clog up any more reading time for you guys, coz i would hate this thread to outstay its welcome!, i was just thinking is there any other ways?

Stu.
It would be really tough with a bachelors degree, unless it is in a specialized field (tech, medicine, etc) and even then they generally want someone with an advanced degree. Take a look at the WIKI at the top of the page and goto the USA section on Immigration and you'll see a lot more on how to come to the US.

Generally, your best bet is to find a job in the UK with a US-UK company and look at an inter-company transfer. As most of the people on this board can attest (and the US expats in London board), coming to a new country is never quite the same as the picture you have in your head before you arrive.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

people are alot less judgemental and friendlier, not that this is the main reason, Stu.
I think you mean fake smiles and much MORE judgemental

executive MBA at my local 'good school' vanderbilt is $38k per year
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate all the advice and feedback everyone it has been deeply appreciated!!! every post has been helpful.
i think i will reconsider doing a MBA at America as it might cost too much!

what if i were to get a BA Business degree in UK, than apply for a work placement in the US? would they sponsor me?..its always been a dream to move to america and im just trying to figure out the quickest, easiest way, without marriage!.

Stu.
I know many US undergrads do a semester in the UK, but its more like a mini-grand tour, sorry for the poor phrasing, where they do all the cultural stuff and try to see some of "Old Europe". It might be worth your while to find a UK based MBA that might have some kind of exchange/work scheme with a US counterpart. I'd start to call the UK schools you are interested in and ask them.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun View Post
I know many US undergrads do a semester in the UK, but its more like a mini-grand tour, sorry for the poor phrasing, where they do all the cultural stuff and try to see some of "Old Europe". It might be worth your while to find a UK based MBA that might have some kind of exchange/work scheme with a US counterpart. I'd start to call the UK schools you are interested in and ask them.
ERASAMUS....that's the exchange program....but to stump living expenses though in the US to get the F1 visa, but they'll pay tuition for a semester or two tops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.