Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to US

Wikiposts

Advice on moving to US

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:47 am
Just Joined

RussNicholls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to US

Hi, I'm currently 18 and set on going to Uni in the UK next year.

but once I have completed Uni and spent a couple of years working over here I would dream of moving over to the US to live and work.

I would like to move to a state such California. Do you think the American economy will have increased in about 7 years? What steps would I have to take to get a Job over there. At Uni I will be studying IT Multimedia and my career plan is based around a Job in Web Development or Graphic design.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on moving to US

First, get admitted to a University. then excel in what ever major you are suited for, and develop a skill set that is current.

At this tender age of 18, you have mapped out your career path seven years yonder is pretty remarkable.

Typically students who graduate from universities here, do so in fields like Computer Science, Physics, Political Science... while folks from trade schools a.k.a Community College might get an associate's degree in Medical Technicial, CAD, Dental Hygienist, Automotive Techonology etc etc

Choose wisely based on your capabilities. Who knows what will happen in seven years.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Have you actually been over here before? To California, for example?

Just wondering because on this forum and another expat forum I'm on, there seems to be an annual influx of people who have never been to the US but are convinced they want to move to CA.

Unless you have immediate family who are US citizens, you're most likely looking at this from a work visa perspective and that's not going to happen straight out of Uni. Once you've finished Uni and you've found your niche to work in you might be able to get a job with a company that has offices out here and is willing to transfer you after you worked for them for a while.

All in all I agree with anuny, you're in a period of your life where things change rapidly, I don't think it makes sense to plan out events for the next 7-10 years now. Finish Uni first (you can't even tell if it's a field of study that you like and excel in until you've tried it) and then see what gives.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

There's a wiki with the ways into the US you should check out, but as you're looking long term, you've probably already got an idea of how tough it is to get in.

No idea what the future holds for the economy nor what skills or visa's will be like in the future.

Best bet is a career doing something you enjoy, and working on something that will give you niche skills...
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:57 am
Just Joined

RussNicholls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips guys, yes i have been to America before but never been actually to California but have been to Florida 6 times already. think i am best to just finish Uni and then see what the world brings me.

Last edited by RussNicholls; Jul 4th 2011 at 2:00 am.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RussNicholls
Thanks for the tips guys, yes i have been to America before but never been actually to California but have been to Florida 6 times already. think i am best to just finish Uni and then see what the world brings me.
If you think you'd like to relocate to the US as a medium- to long-term goal, then when looking for jobs keep in mind multi-nationals where you could potentially arrange a transfer ultimately. In the IT world these aren't limited to the Microsofts, Googles or Accentures of this world: there are lots of medium-sized web agencies or internet advertising companies with presences in the UK and US.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Do the Work America or Camp America programmes in your summer hols..
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to say because although I am a skeptic about immigration reform in the US, I find it hard to believe it won't have changed in some sort of significant way seven years from now (which is not to say it will get easier, but it will be different).

But I think the advice about getting a job with a US company in the UK or a company that US offices and getting transferred over is probably your best bet.