Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to US?

Advice on moving to US?

Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

MediaBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on moving to US?

Hello,

I am in the what seems to be common situation of having a girlfriend in the US. I am really trying to find any jobs in the Chicago area that will sponsor myself. I am a recent ex-student only at level 3 (A-Levels/BTEC) and not University in Britain. I am wondering what the best course of action would be? Doing a college course there or perhaps getting an engagement visa?

If anyone could give me help or private mentoring i would appreciate it greatly.

We hope to get a cheap studio apartment downtown. I studied Media Production and from what I've heard the industry is available in the Chicago area. I'm under 21 if this matters at all.

Thank you all for your time.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to US?

Originally Posted by MediaBoy
Hello,

I am in the what seems to be common situation of having a girlfriend in the US. I am really trying to find any jobs in the Chicago area that will sponsor myself. I am a recent ex-student only at level 3 (A-Levels/BTEC) and not University in Britain. I am wondering what the best course of action would be? Doing a college course there or perhaps getting an engagement visa?

If anyone could give me help or private mentoring i would appreciate it greatly.

We hope to get a cheap studio apartment downtown. I studied Media Production and from what I've heard the industry is available in the Chicago area. I'm under 21 if this matters at all.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at this...if you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance. If you don't then you won't be living in the US in the near future.

Attending uni in the US is expensive...so if you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend...uni could be a way.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 10th 2010 at 4:55 pm. Reason: wrong currency
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Based on other people's experiences i'd say you should do a uni course there, see if it works out and if it does tie the knot. Someone might be able to advise you here on one of the cheaper ones. I'm sure there are some in Chicagoland.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Even if you were eligible for an H1-B employment visa, you'd have a hard time finding an employer willing to spend the money to bring in a foreigner when there are tens of thousands of Americans looking for work; the latter don't need visas and could start working tomorrow.

Attending college in the US is a possibility if you have enough money. Be aware though that the sticker price for the University of Chicago is $50,000 - $60,000 per year. Yes there are cheaper institutions, but education in the US is in general very costly.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

IME finding a company in the US to sponsor you when there is an alternative route of becoming a resident is going to be even harder than "just" finding someone to sponsor you.

It might be easier to plan a trip to Las Vegas with the GF in the not-too-distant future.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the what seems to be common situation of having a girlfriend in the US.
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
We may have to go around the block a few more times first.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

For someone with BTECs and doing something like media, what might be more interesting and better for someone looking to get into work in that sector is somewhere like Columbia College Chicago which is a performing arts school, they have a lot of programs that might be of interest and seemingly a financial aid system that is somewhat meaningful.

http://www.colum.edu/admissions/Programs/AEMM.php

Just from Googling, not an expert, good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:27 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We may have to go around the block a few more times first.
You and his GF?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You and his GF?
Is she up to it?