Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving pet to USA

Advice on moving pet to USA

Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:58 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on moving pet to USA

Hi everyone,

We're in the process of applying for a K3 visa and are trying to sort out some things whilst we are waiting, like finding out how to move our pet dog over to America.

Can anyone recommend good pet movers in the UK? We've been in touch with PetAir and they have quoted £1300, and that's just for the basic package not including all her tests and certificates etc.

We were wondering if it is just as easy and cheaper to organise it ourselves? Has anyone done this?

Andie & Jase
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving pet to USA

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Hi everyone,

We're in the process of applying for a K3 visa and are trying to sort out some things whilst we are waiting, like finding out how to move our pet dog over to America.

Can anyone recommend good pet movers in the UK? We've been in touch with PetAir and they have quoted £1300, and that's just for the basic package not including all her tests and certificates etc.

We were wondering if it is just as easy and cheaper to organise it ourselves? Has anyone done this?

Andie & Jase

Have you tried posting this in the UK forum? There is always a lot of chatter on there about pet transportation.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:42 am
Guest21

Hi everyone,

Andie & Jase
www.defra.gov.uk

Give them a call they will help you out and thats a bit steep 1,300 :scared: I would look around do a search here under pets etc I know there will be plenty of others who have had the same experiance.

Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiskers
www.defra.gov.uk

Give them a call they will help you out and thats a bit steep 1,300 :scared: I would look around do a search here under pets etc I know there will be plenty of others who have had the same experiance.
I rang defra when we were emigrating with a cat and they were as much use as a chocolate teapot. They had no interest at all in what anyone was exporting, only what was coming into the UK. They told me to talk to my vet (who had told me to talk to defra).

I got a much better response from the equivalent body in the US state I was heading to, who told me exactly what paperwork I needed (just a letter from my vet saying the pet was healthy and fit for travel).

I wish I could remember the name of the transport company we used, sorry They were excellent. The cost for our cat's flight was about the same as for a human.

Our vet did say we shouldn't sedate the cat. Animals aren't supervised in the hold and if they vomit, they can choke to death; sedation can make vomiting more likely.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:59 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

FedEx or UPS
Attached Thumbnails Advice on moving pet to USA-origami2005-08-26_001.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I rang defra when we were emigrating with a cat and they were as much use as a chocolate teapot. They had no interest at all in what anyone was exporting, only what was coming into the UK. They told me to talk to my vet (who had told me to talk to defra).

I got a much better response from the equivalent body in the US state I was heading to, who told me exactly what paperwork I needed (just a letter from my vet saying the pet was healthy and fit for travel).

I wish I could remember the name of the transport company we used, sorry They were excellent. The cost for our cat's flight was about the same as for a human.

Our vet did say we shouldn't sedate the cat. Animals aren't supervised in the hold and if they vomit, they can choke to death; sedation can make vomiting more likely.
My vet in the UK said exactly the same thing regarding sedation. Said because of the long journey too much sedation would have to be given...which would require the presence of a vet during the journey.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
FedEx or UPS

Nice little hobby you have Gruff.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:21 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Andie & Jase
I read an article about transporting pets within the US. The gist of the article was that Continental Airlines have the most experience and transport the greatest number of animals.

From the article, I remember reading that it's recommended (by animal welfare organizations) that pets do not travel in the cargo area.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:22 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

From the article, I remember reading that it's recommended (by animal welfare organizations) that pets do not travel in the cargo area.

NC Penguin
The Cockpit it is then...
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I read an article about transporting pets within the US. The gist of the article was that Continental Airlines have the most experience and transport the greatest number of animals.

NC Penguin
If the pet is under 10lbs Continental may allow it in the cabin...they do on flights within the US. Some airlines will not carry pets in the hold during the summer months.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If the pet is under 10lbs Continental may allow it in the cabin...they do on flights within the US. Some airlines will not carry pets in the hold during the summer months.
That's Sizeist...
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That's Sizeist...

Are you coming onto me?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you coming onto me?
Errr no, I'm talking about Dacshunds in Business Class.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:35 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We used Pets on the Move and they were excellent. I cannot praise them enough. We lived in the NW of england and they have an office near Manchester airport. Their main address is in Scotland I think. They looked after our dog and cat for a week while we flew ahead and got our house sorted out.
www.petsonthemove.co.uk
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Errr no, I'm talking about Dacshunds in Business Class.
Oh well...can't blame a girl for trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.