Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving pet to USA

Advice on moving pet to USA

Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on moving pet to USA

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can only take your pet to the UK via an European country if you already have a Pet Passort, even then its illegal.
Thanks for that, we do have a pet passport for her. My other option is to start saving for a transatlantic cruise back
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Thanks for that, we do have a pet passport for her. My other option is to start saving for a transatlantic cruise back
Remember it is illegal for you to take a pet into the UK from the USA via a 3rd country, unless you keep the pet in the 3rd country for 6 mths, quarantine the pet for 6mths in the UK or adhere to DEFRA's rules and regs. ie the pet has to have tests, shots etc and travel in the hold.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:48 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
It appears its not just a UK air regulations requirement that pets go in the hold. American Airlines doesn't allow pets in the cabin on any flights unless they are domestic.

AA are much cheaper to fly your pet than Virgin. My cats ticket was just $100, thats almost 1/4 the price you quoted for Virgin - WOW!

You usually have to accompany your animal on the same flight, as your pet is treated as 'checked baggage'.

I flew my cat from from London Heathrow to Newark (using Virgin) and it cost 200GBP for 1 medium sized cat - I was on the same flight as her.

Virgn were fantastic. The pet reception centre actually phoned my mobile one hour before the flight to let me know how she was doing - asleep, not bothered at all, unlike me in floods of tears in the Virgin Lounge and too upset to do my duty free shopping!

My cat did have to go in the cargo section of the plane - this is down to UK air regulations (would have been the same for any direct flight from or to the UK). On our return I'm considering flying to another European country so she can be with me in the cabin and then the last leg of the journey doing either by sea or Eurotunnel. That said, our cat was fine in the cargo area - I just didn't/don't like the thought of it!

Let me know if you need/want anymore information.

Lottie
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Hi,
It appears its not just a UK air regulations requirement that pets go in the hold. American Airlines doesn't allow pets in the cabin on any flights unless they are domestic.

AA are much cheaper to fly your pet than Virgin. My cats ticket was just $100, thats almost 1/4 the price you quoted for Virgin - WOW!
Air France allow small pets onboard...or at least they used to...if you are thinking of taking them back via France.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:59 pm

Air France are very liberal. They said my 13 year old daughter could fly unaccompanied from England, even changing at Charles de Gaulle Airport, on her own!!!

I said "thank you, but no thank you" and flew here using the unaccompanied minor scheme on AA.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Air France allow small pets onboard...or at least they used to...if you are thinking of taking them back via France.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:34 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Some really useful information being posted, thanks everyone for all your comments and advice.

Andie & Jase
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:10 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted my experience bringing my dog from Chile several times on these forums, such as this post.

BTW, my dog's name is Andie! She was named after the Andes Mountains where she was born.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:34 am
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I've posted my experience bringing my dog from Chile several times on these forums, such as this post.

BTW, my dog's name is Andie! She was named after the Andes Mountains where she was born.

~ Jenney
Thanks Jenney! One of the options we are thinking about is having her sent out a few days after I leave, so I'm not worrying about her whilst I'm travelling, and so that I can be there straight away when she arrives. It's so worrying, I've heard so many horror stories, I'm really nervous about the whole thing. But I've had lots of advice on here which is a big help.

Thanks again ~ Andie )
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Bargain When/where did you fly your cat from?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Thanks Jenney! One of the options we are thinking about is having her sent out a few days after I leave, so I'm not worrying about her whilst I'm travelling, and so that I can be there straight away when she arrives. It's so worrying, I've heard so many horror stories, I'm really nervous about the whole thing. But I've had lots of advice on here which is a big help.

Thanks again ~ Andie )
i have two persians that i worried about the whole flight through but they were ok and the trip was the bumpiest ever...major head winds but they were ok...so don't worry just do the best can for them and they'll be fine...
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:46 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our dog over with us on the same flight. $110 plus the cost of the travel crate which I think was about 60 quid.

We were qoted something over £1500 by pet moving companies which is a bit of a rip off.

The only thing we did different because of the dog, was that we flew Gatwick direct to Dallas and then drove, rather than going Manchester-Chicago-Austin so you can add a couple of hundered pounds on for one way car hire.

a.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
{snip}

You usually have to accompany your animal on the same flight, as your pet is treated as 'checked baggage'.
Not true, we moved 1 week before our pets (in order to setup the house and get settled. We left 3 cats and 1 dog in kennels near Gatwick and had them shipped out to Austin via DFW a week later. All arrived fine. The cats acted strange for a few days (I think that was the new house) and the dog acted like nothing had happened. The kennels were very used to what we needed to do, and arranged transport from the kennels to checkin and all the paperwork and crates for them. IIRC the cost was about GPB 1200 (I recall thinking an economy ticket was not a whole lot more....)

- Tim
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our dog across in 2004 with BA from Gatwick to DFW, flying with my wife, and it cost £140 in excess baggage fees for the dog+crate.

We made sure to get all the necessary bloodwork, shots and certificates sorted out at our local UK vet before leaving. I can't remember exactly what was needed, but I seem to remember one of the tests or shots needed to be done a month before leaving, so don't leave it till the last minute! Might be useful getting in touch with the relevent people at the airport you'll be arriving at to see exactly what paperwork they'll be looking for before allowing your pet in. We booked the flight with BA and told them in advance we'd need to be transporting our dog, to ensure there was room and she was able to travel.

There was no sedation for the flight, which was fine by me as it's generally a bad thing, but our dog was fine when she rejoined my wife in Dallas, even though she's a nervous dog at the best of times. The food we'd provided in a compartment on the crate had been confiscated, so I don't know if she'd been fed, but she was perfectly ok.

Seems that spending more than a few hundred is excessive, unless your pet needs to travel separately to you.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:17 pm

Manchester. The $100 is a flat fee per journey. To be honest I could have flown it for free. When I checked the cat in they asked if I had already paid the $100 fee, they didn't ask to see any receipt.

Bargain When/where did you fly your cat from?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Hi everyone,

We're in the process of applying for a K3 visa and are trying to sort out some things whilst we are waiting, like finding out how to move our pet dog over to America.

Can anyone recommend good pet movers in the UK? We've been in touch with PetAir and they have quoted £1300, and that's just for the basic package not including all her tests and certificates etc.

We were wondering if it is just as easy and cheaper to organise it ourselves? Has anyone done this?

Andie & Jase
try jets4pets.com we shipped our dog last year from manchester under 400 quid.

bugman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.