Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to Florida

Advice on moving to Florida

Old Oct 6th 2022, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Laurenwilsonsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to Florida

Hi I’m Lauren, I’m relocating to Florida through my job with husband and 2 children (8,7). Im looking at gated communities in north Florida and am overwhelmed. Is there anyone that lives in jax or tamper that has any recommendations. I’m flying over next weekend for a visit so trying to shortlist some areas with good public schools. Thanks Lauren
Old Oct 6th 2022, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to Florida

There is a lot of miles between Jacksonville and Tampa. It would take you over 3 hours to drive from one city to the other. One is on the east coast and one is on the west coast. So where will you be working?
Old Oct 6th 2022, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

My role is remote working so it’s my choice where to live. Do you have any recommendations please?
Old Oct 6th 2022, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I would rent for first year. Then at your leisure you could look for that ideal place to buy. My wife is from Jacksonville and my guess is lower housing cost in Jacksonville.
Old Oct 6th 2022, 6:50 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laurenwilsonsmith
My role is remote working so it’s my choice where to live. Do you have any recommendations please?
While remote working is quite common, especially in new industries like Defi and Crypto that are going to FL, assuming you are not a US Citizen you will need a visa to move to the US and depending what was included on teh application submitted by your current? future employer? you may have some limitations. Which visa did you get?
Old Oct 6th 2022, 10:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendations would do you no good as my relatives and friends are all retirees living on both coasts. Finding housing after the Hurricane Ian is going to be super difficult especially in Tampa. Remember Tampa is not that far from Fort Myers where adjacent towns were hard hit. Good luck to you and your family.
Old Oct 6th 2022, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My recommendations would do you no good as my relatives and friends are all retirees living on both coasts. Finding housing after the Hurricane Ian is going to be super difficult especially in Tampa. Remember Tampa is not that far from Fort Myers where adjacent towns were hard hit. Good luck to you and your family.
Speaking of hurricanes..why Florida…especially if you are working remotely?
Old Oct 7th 2022, 2:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The housing market in Tampa Bay was already "High" before Hurricane Ian. It is likely a lot of displaced people will head here, as well as Jax.

I don.t think it is the best time to be moving here. Interesting the 2 specific areas given the remote working.

Sorry I have no clue about school quality anywhere
Old Oct 7th 2022, 3:01 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Now is not the time to move to Florida. After Hurricane Ian there are many displaced people who have lost everything they had and are competing for already expensive housing. If you are determined to move to the US I would suggest Texas or Tennesee would be a better choice.
Old Oct 7th 2022, 3:38 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to move to America, have you considered being a full member of the society that you plan to move to? In my experience of being in a number of countries my experience has been greatly enhanced by being a part of the community rather than opting out of the community.
Old Oct 7th 2022, 12:56 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Not the cities you mention,
But we live in Tallahassee, the State capital about 2 hours West of Jacksonville.
We love the place, been here 22 years, same house, same job lol.
Good housing, beautiful weather.
We actually researched the city from the UK when we were living in Plymouth.
Once we arrived for a visit with no job, no housing and didn't know a soul.
We were back 2 weeks later to stay for ever.

Raised our son in the local schooling system.
He's now in Grad school in Atlanta, so we must have done something right.

Check the city out, happy to answer any further questions.
https://visittallahassee.com/
Old Oct 7th 2022, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Future projections re: climate in large swathes of FL are not good, not good at all. Pick carefully.
Old Oct 7th 2022, 2:43 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any reason why you are looking at gated communities? Not all have security gates or guards. All will have HOA fees, which will depend on the facilities provided. Also, HOA can be restrictive regarding pets, fencing, landscaping, and home decorations.
Old Oct 7th 2022, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi no reason really other than safety. I’m just looking for advice as have very limited knowledge
Old Oct 7th 2022, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi no reason really other than safety. I’m just looking for advice as have very limited knowledge
What's made you pick those areas of Florida, is it for work reasons? I know you've said you'll be working remotely, but do you need to be able to access anywhere for work - is there an office you'll have to go to occasionally, or will you be travelling and need to get to an airport fairly quickly? And as asked above, what did you put on your visa application? Assume it's a work sponsored visa, so do you not have a location on that you need to be able to commute to?

I can't help at all with suggestions on areas, but the more info you can give people the better, if you can tell them what you need from where you live, hopefully somebody can advise you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.