Reload this Page >

Advice on marrying US citizen in Chicago, IL

Advice on marrying US citizen in Chicago, IL

Old Oct 10th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

kcharlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on marrying US citizen in Chicago, IL

Hello, Expats.

My American fiance and I want to get married in Chicago and I can't find anywhere if I need to post notice of my upcoming marriage in the UK before going ahead with it - I know that that a CNI is needed but that seems to not be the case in the USA. Which seems too easy

I am British, and a resident in the US on an H1B visa and my fiance is a US Citizen.

Any ideas so gratefully received. thank you!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on marrying US citizen in Chicago, IL

Why would you need to post notice in the UK? You're marrying in the US! As long as you are free to marry and have applied for and received a IL Marriage license than go forth and commit young sir!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

All you need is the marriage license. I was a UK resident British citizen when I married a US resident USC and there you don't need to do anything in the UK ahead of your nuptials.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What ever the state and the county requires...usually just a marriage license, either within x days of marriage, or on the day itself.

http://www.cookcountyclerk.com/vital...s/default.aspx

So looking at that, $60, ID and done the day before you need it.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

kcharlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. We recently tried to get married when we were in Japan and I needed a CMI and it was such a pain we abandoned the whole thing - so great to hear it is simpler in the US. I appreciate all the feedback!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

If you want easy, there are drive-thru wedding chapels in Vegas.

You don't even need to get out of the car!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guindalf
If you want easy, there are drive-thru wedding chapels in Vegas.

You don't even need to get out of the car!!!!
Well, they *do* have to get out of the car to get the marriage license...
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

GeordieBlackHawks is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a uk citizen and married my american wife in chicago back in 06. Nothing needed at all back in the uk!!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

WITNOGTMH is a CMI?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
WITNOGTMH is a CMI?
Take your pick:

Cell-mediated immunity

Chronic Mental Illness

Chiang Mai Initiative

Cambridge-MIT Institute

Carmelites of Mary Immaculate

Chartered Management Institute

Committee for a Marxist International

Creation Ministries International

901, as Roman numerals

The Curse of Monkey Island
Old Oct 14th 2012, 6:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
WITNOGTMH is a CMI?
No idea - but even more bizarrely the OP said CNI

Perhaps some sort of Notice of Intent...
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

<sigh>

CNI - Certificate of No Impediment = free to marry & no objections!

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcharlo
Thanks all. We recently tried to get married when we were in Japan and I needed a CMI and it was such a pain we abandoned the whole thing - so great to hear it is simpler in the US. I appreciate all the feedback!
CNI is 30 minutes in a consulate and a few squid. Consular officer gets you to swear you ain't married, s/he then writes you've sworn you ain't married on a piece of headed paper with some fancy stamps at the bottom, and you're good to go. Not that I've ever heard of anyone needing it in the US of A.