Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job re-training please!

Advice for job re-training please!

Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

boxshifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for job re-training please!

I'm going to be joining my wife and kids who are living in Lockport, NY at Christmas time with any luck?
At present I'm serving in the Royal Navy and I've been slated for redundancy after 13 years of loyal service! I've started to look around for future trades/jobs in the Buffalo, NY area and at present it seems to be very confusing for everyone at the moment about future requirements.
The Navy is going to re-train me for civilian life and as such, I just need to pick a good trade/job that is in demand in this area? I understand I will be competing for jobs with US citizens and I just want to prepare by doing courses in advance to give me the upper hand.
I would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me.
Many Thanks in advance.
Vince
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job re-training please!

Something in demand for the Buffalo area? Drug habit and thieving?

It's a very depressed job market out that way, so it probably won't make to much difference, especially as most trades would need you to get licensed locally anyway and without any local experience you'd be in a tough situation as it is.

Good luck though!