Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on job please

Advice on job please

Old Aug 7th 2020, 7:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on job please

Yeah... someone tells me that those around you hold a different opinion.

Anyway, say hello my ignore list!

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 7th 2020 at 7:42 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 7:38 pm
Banned

monkeybest is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Advice on job please

Originally Posted by tom169
At that income level I'd recommend reviewing it with an accountant in the state you're looking at moving to. I'll tell you now that you can kiss goodbye to a large chunk of those bonuses to the tax man.
Thanks for the first normal answer! The rest of the Brits just seem to have jealousy written all over them.......clearly its a country of losers!
Old Aug 7th 2020, 7:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yeah... someone tells me that those around you hold a different option.

Anyway, say hello my ignore list!
Go back to loser land buddy with your condescending approach am surprised Americans even give you the time of day
Old Aug 7th 2020, 8:23 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
At that income level I'd recommend reviewing it with an accountant in the state you're looking at moving to. I'll tell you now that you can kiss goodbye to a large chunk of those bonuses to the tax man.
As noted where you live will determine a lot. Remember on top of federal tax's there may be state and city, and then some states also charge property tax on things like cars you own / lease (the owner passes it on to you). I assume most big hospital systems self insure for medical cover, i.e. you get free treatment there.

What the op describes does not seem out of wack for some medical fields. A co-worker of mine a few years ago was married to an experienced anesthesiologist at a big NYC hospital system, she was being offered jobs in "interior" states with 7 figure offer. One thing the OP did not mention in his package was liability insurance, I have no idea if hospitals pay that or the MD, but either way you need to make sure you have great coverage there. I am also not sure what guaranteed salary is, I assume you mean "base salary" OP? A lot of states are employment at will so that does not really mean much past 2 weeks... so if they need an ICU doc now they will pay what it takes, and in 6 months if the demand is lower they can adjust staffing easily with little cost (not like the UK with redundancy etc), if you have the option on a green card and want to stay get it ASAP so you are not left without a job and legal status.

Old Aug 7th 2020, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeybest
Been here longer than 5 minutes already buddy and doing just fine thanks!

So why do you need an H-1B? Under what status are you currently?

Although something is telling me I shouldn’t feed a troll. Something doesn’t sit correctly when I read “grow up” from someone purporting to be very advanced on the field of medicine. I don’t think even McDonald’s would tolerate that level of immaturity.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the first normal answer! The rest of the Brits just seem to have jealousy written all over them.......clearly its a country of losers!
This is a Brit expat site, you do know that right? This is the US forum so we are Brits that live in the US...we are already here. So why would we be jealous?

And most of us don't feel the need to announce our salaries.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
So why do you need an H-1B? Under what status are you currently?

Although something is telling me I shouldn’t feed a troll. Something doesn’t sit correctly when I read “grow up” from someone purporting to be very advanced on the field of medicine. I don’t think even McDonald’s would tolerate that level of immaturity.
..... my thoughts from the beginning.....
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tht
As noted where you live will determine a lot. Remember on top of federal tax's there may be state and city, and then some states also charge property tax on things like cars you own / lease (the owner passes it on to you). I assume most big hospital systems self insure for medical cover, i.e. you get free treatment there.

What the op describes does not seem out of wack for some medical fields. A co-worker of mine a few years ago was married to an experienced anesthesiologist at a big NYC hospital system, she was being offered jobs in "interior" states with 7 figure offer. One thing the OP did not mention in his package was liability insurance, I have no idea if hospitals pay that or the MD, but either way you need to make sure you have great coverage there. I am also not sure what guaranteed salary is, I assume you mean "base salary" OP? A lot of states are employment at will so that does not really mean much past 2 weeks... so if they need an ICU doc now they will pay what it takes, and in 6 months if the demand is lower they can adjust staffing easily with little cost (not like the UK with redundancy etc), if you have the option on a green card and want to stay get it ASAP so you are not left without a job and legal status.
Yes you are correct 7 figure offers are the norm for certain jobs in certain places, thats the market. Am amazed how narrow minded the Brits here are sitting in their closets thinking that a professional with minimum 10 years training should be paid less than a brickie!

Liability - paid for by the hospital group includes tail coverage and is very good not seen any better. Health insurance is very good PPO cover with great coverage that is dirt cheap also with very low deductibles etc

My initial contract is 2 years.

@stephoscope I need the h1 as I have an approved NIW I never filed an I485 for. No cap involved and no I am not affected by any executive order due to my work being necessary for the pandemic before the moaners on here try to throw that one at me. Can still get it in 2w premium processed.

@sugardaddy - I just pasted a summary of the job offer if you got nothing useful to add then why say anything?
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

And most of us don't feel the need to announce our salaries.
And we are also intelligent enough and experienced enough to know that there’s no such thing as a free lunch and such a salary comes with huge risks and responsibilities that others may not necessarily want to take. I wouldn’t want to be a doctor for all the money in the world. A mistake in my job could cost the company tens of thousands of dollars. It’s just money. A doctor makes a mistake and someone could die unnecessarily.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it...... you appear to know everything, have all the answers, are highly experienced in your profession, have just landed a very lucrative job and yet come onto a public forum to ask some pretty basic questions and respond to any questions asked of you with no further information apart from your wonderful salary and benefits.

What is it you want..... ? You've been given some suggestions as to what it is you could also be looking at with regard the job... so are we done?

Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

JG must be in a good mood OP has lasted over 24 hours.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are correct 7 figure offers are the norm for certain jobs in certain places, thats the market. Am amazed how narrow minded the Brits here are sitting in their closets thinking that a professional with minimum 10 years training should be paid less than a brickie!

Liability - paid for by the hospital group includes tail coverage and is very good not seen any better. Health insurance is very good PPO cover with great coverage that is dirt cheap also with very low deductibles etc

My initial contract is 2 years.

@stephoscope I need the h1 as I have an approved NIW I never filed an I485 for. No cap involved and no I am not affected by any executive order due to my work being necessary for the pandemic before the moaners on here try to throw that one at me. Can still get it in 2w premium processed.

@sugardaddy - I just pasted a summary of the job offer if you got nothing useful to add then why say anything?
And maybe don't call the people you might want future advice from jealous losers??
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Monkeybest...you don’t seem to have got off to a good start. Best not to jump in at the deep end to start off with.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
JG must be in a good mood OP has lasted over 24 hours.
There was another doctor on here a while back with a strikingly similar attitude. I think they got banned eventually. Just sayin'.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There was another doctor on here a while back with a strikingly similar attitude. I think they got banned eventually. Just sayin'.
Now you’ve gone and spoilt the fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.