Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job hunting?

Advice for job hunting?

Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:42 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job hunting?

Originally Posted by username.exe
I think Steerpike is referring to Enterprise environments.

Certainly this is the case for most places I've worked (I much prefer to use Chrome personally). Many intranet pages and business applications at the place I currently work are only supported in IE. Strange world.
yeah big companies hate to upgrade, which i get, considering the issues, but the speed and complex support for older systems make upgrading from a 10yr old browser or system used 30 yrs ago quite preferable.

I worked for an internet shopping co years ago and they had their backend programmed in MUMPS. it broke every single day, i would say 50% of each day was fixing issues with it.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lots of people probably like me have access to both but never use IE, or very rarely.
I thought you used a Chromebook ... does that even have IE?

Originally Posted by ldollard
yeah big companies hate to upgrade, which i get, considering the issues, but the speed and complex support for older systems make upgrading from a 10yr old browser or system used 30 yrs ago quite preferable.

I worked for an internet shopping co years ago and they had their backend programmed in MUMPS. it broke every single day, i would say 50% of each day was fixing issues with it.
In 'the old days', many corporate browser-based apps were developed using Microsoft-proprietary tools/languages, such as '.net', 'active-X', etc which required the use of IE at the front end to work properly. And until recently, you had to use IE if you wanted to make full use of something as simple as 'webmail' (Outlook Web Access). This is all changing now. Webmail no longer requires IE for full functionality, and ... I just discovered last week ... even 'heavy' apps like Microsoft CRM work just as well if not better in Chrome. So the ability to switch browsers is definitely improving. Still, a corporate IT department is still likely to only test one browser extensively, and that's still likely to be IE if the back-end is using Microsoft tools. Also, even though MS CRM is working fine with Chrome and Firefox, 'single-sign-on' is not working so it's still slightly less functional (Single-Sign-on = the ability to pass your login credentials from one session to another, avoiding the need to keep entering passwords).

Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot at the moment, though, by defaulting windows 10 to 'Edge'. We have to change that because Edge doesn't support everything yet, and once you make that change, it opens the door to being something other than IE.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 12:17 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I thought you used a Chromebook ... does that even have IE?

In 'the old days', many corporate browser-based apps were developed using Microsoft-proprietary tools/languages, such as '.net', 'active-X', etc which required the use of IE at the front end to work properly. And until recently, you had to use IE if you wanted to make full use of something as simple as 'webmail' (Outlook Web Access). This is all changing now. Webmail no longer requires IE for full functionality, and ... I just discovered last week ... even 'heavy' apps like Microsoft CRM work just as well if not better in Chrome. So the ability to switch browsers is definitely improving. Still, a corporate IT department is still likely to only test one browser extensively, and that's still likely to be IE if the back-end is using Microsoft tools. Also, even though MS CRM is working fine with Chrome and Firefox, 'single-sign-on' is not working so it's still slightly less functional (Single-Sign-on = the ability to pass your login credentials from one session to another, avoiding the need to keep entering passwords).

Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot at the moment, though, by defaulting windows 10 to 'Edge'. We have to change that because Edge doesn't support everything yet, and once you make that change, it opens the door to being something other than IE.
I guess that webmail is just weird to me my company has used gmail for about 8 yrs now. So it really isn't new.

But yeah i get the issue with apps programmed in .net
Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
I guess that webmail is just weird to me my company has used gmail for about 8 yrs now. So it really isn't new.

But yeah i get the issue with apps programmed in .net
Is your company OK with how Google searches / uses information in your corporate email? Last time I looked, Google pretty much give themselves carte-blanche to search your email and use the information for all manner of purposes.

I've worked in two medical-related companies now where gmail was dropped due to HIPAA concerns. This is an interesting read: https://luxsci.com/blog/google-apps-...her-price.html
Basically, free gmail is NOT compliant; paid-for gmail MAY be compliant to some degree but encryption is not included and that alone pretty much sinks the ship, compliance wise. I've converted two clients from gmail to hosted office 365 (basically, hosted exchange) for this reason.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:40 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Is your company OK with how Google searches / uses information in your corporate email? Last time I looked, Google pretty much give themselves carte-blanche to search your email and use the information for all manner of purposes.

I've worked in two medical-related companies now where gmail was dropped due to HIPAA concerns. This is an interesting read: https://luxsci.com/blog/google-apps-...her-price.html
Basically, free gmail is NOT compliant; paid-for gmail MAY be compliant to some degree but encryption is not included and that alone pretty much sinks the ship, compliance wise. I've converted two clients from gmail to hosted office 365 (basically, hosted exchange) for this reason.
I dont work medical, so not really an issue.

But gmail is in fact encrypted, even free gmail, we use gmail for business, its encrypted using AES 128 GCM.

But I can see why highly sensitive companies would stick with their own service.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

I got a job! Not a rubbish 'it'll do for now' type job either. It's in my field and really is a dream job!
Thanks for all your help guys!
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
I got a job! Not a rubbish 'it'll do for now' type job either. It's in my field and really is a dream job!
Congratulations -- great news!
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! Congratulations!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 1:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Any chance you could share with us what you did that worked?

thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 1:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, great stuff!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant news - well done!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:28 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray! Congratulations
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Congratulations!

thanks!
Yes, please do share some details, once you get over the hangover from the celebrations! Well done!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Congratulations!

thanks!
sure!

i was getting rejected left right and centre when i was applying for jobs.
However when i put my resume online i suddenly had these massive companies offering me jobs out of the blue.

my area is very niche though, even back home they require minimum 7/8 years experience.

Anyway...
i had to keep reworking my resume over and over. it seems to be all about the keywords. if you copy and paste a job advertisement and re work it, that should get you the basic keywords when HR are looking at your resume.

speaking of HR, they are useless.
I've had a few call me up and offer me these jobs and I've had to firmly tell them that i'm not experienced or qualified to do that job.
they see the buzzwords like 'aviation' etc and assume you can do certain things.

I think it's wrong that someone that has never even looked at a spanner is hiring people for engineering jobs.

I went for an interview at a weapons/defence company. the HR didn't bother to ask or research that because of 'ITAR' you have to be a US citizen to work on the project. so i basically got a free tour of the factory that is building the orion space shuttle.
so i ended up wasting my time and theirs and i also got my hopes up before being crushed.

I also found my resume working against me at times. i was told at a few job interviews that i was 'overqualified' and they didn't say it but it was implied that they didn't think i would stick around.
these were basic labour jobs, you know, pick heavy object up at point A and move it to point B.
not sure how anyone can be overqualified for that? maybe too strong? too much gym time?
also i have a lot of experience but i don't have a degree. i did an apprenticeship back home and as others on here have said uk qualifications mean nothing here.
to be fair they were right, if a better offer came in, nobody would stick around. it's just business as they say.

in conclusion, put your resume online and go to recruiters if you can. mess about with the keywords in your resume too.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips cheradenine and congratulations! The overqualified statement means exactly as you say. A rocket scientist in a job lifting a box from A-B won't be doing that long because as soon as a rocket company offers something better it will be snapped up, leaving Boxalot to go through the hiring process again. I've had that excuse before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.